What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inner Aileron Bracket does not fit to the rear spar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis S.

Hi everyone,

when I cleco my Aileron Brackets to the Rear Spar, the holes on the second angle are about 1/2 diameter off in vertical direction. The two angles are the L-suffix-ones, and we're talking about the left wing. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Swapping the smaller angle with the R one doesn't help. Turning it around 180° doesn't help either.

It's the same picture when i try to cleco the right wing components to the right rear spar, without the doubler plate.

Thanks in Advance for any advice!

Dennis

Attachments

• 20230529_133520.jpg
    20230529_133520.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 20230529_131114.jpg
    20230529_131114.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 20230529_131130.jpg
    20230529_131130.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20230529_131134.jpg
    20230529_131134.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 107
It's possible that part was mis-labelled or mis-fabricated.

If you have some AA6-125 3/4x3/4 material, cut a piece to length, clamp in place, and use the holes in the other pieces to "match drill" a new part...

or wait for international shipping...

potentially mispunched

I just looked at my wings (RV7) and the same piece of angle on my airplane (part number 713D) has the 3 holes that match up with the rear spear being slightly shifted from the three holes that match up with the bracket. Your piece appears to have the holes directly opposite each other. Based on what I saw on my wing, I'd guess that the needed offset is about the same 1/2 hole diameter error that you're seeing. Sure seems that its possible the angle was punched wrong. Its not the the first time I've seen this type of error, although it's rare.

Like others say, just fabricate a new piece from stock angle and match drill the holes. I would definitely contact Vans and let them know so they can check and see if there’s a problem on their end they need to correct.

This is unusual. Maybe they are right-left swapped?

Yes, I think that's right - the angle with 3 holes is left/right swapped. This was an SB for my RV-10 and there was a note saying that the end of the angle with the slightly greater edge distance goes at the bottom.

Thanks for the answers so far. Unfortunately, using the W-913-D-R makes it even worse. There is some offset between the holes but it is very small; less than 1/64". I've attached an image of the two W-913-Ds.

I've contacted Vans also and will see what they say.

Dennis

Attachments

• W-913-D Angles.jpg
    W-913-D Angles.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 77
In case you're interested, I had provided some measurements to Van's and they sent new parts out without hesitation. Parts have arrived in the meantime and fit perfectly.

It looks like one flange of the angle had the hole positions mirrored. Maybe there was a mixup of the L/R parts between the drilling steps, or the angle went through the machine the wrong way round.

Interesting to note that these parts are almost symmetrical, but not exactly. One row of holes has 0.5" spacing and the other is a little closer - about 1/128". So they can be made to fit both ways, but one way fits a tiny bit better than the other.

Thanks for your Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back