What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing Skybolt during Section 29 of Fuse Build

Ken_Melissa_V

I'm New Here
We are at the stage of the build where the plans call for the Piano Hinge to be installed and applying fuel tank sealant along the firewall and the side skin of the fuselage.

We have decided to go with Skybolt instead of the Piano Hinge (Both are good options, but this is what we've decided for our build). We have already purchased the full kit.

Question is: What is the best way to install the Sky Bolt at this stage? Or should we just apply the Sealant to the skin now and worry about installing the Skybolt flanges once our Engine Mount and Cowl shows up so we can align the Skybolt flange at the split just right? Will we have good access later to do this?

I assume yes, because people can add this kit after the plane has been flying.

@Ken_Melissa_V or @jrm727 curious if you got any feedback. I am just starting 29 and in the same boat 🛶
Not a 14, but I sealed the firewall and secured it with 100% clekos with a 4-40 nut on each. Later, it was no problem to install the Skybolt flanges. Check my blog for a Kitplanes article(s) on the cowl. It covers Skybolts too.

When I did mine, I did the side and lower cowling edges during chapter 29. I didn't do the top cowl until I sealed up the front top fuse skin, which wasn't until the very last second I could.

- Beware the spacing around the oil cooler

We are at the stage of the build where the plans call for the Piano Hinge to be installed and applying fuel tank sealant along the firewall and the side skin of the fuselage.

We have decided to go with Skybolt instead of the Piano Hinge (Both are good options, but this is what we've decided for our build). We have already purchased the full kit.

Question is: What is the best way to install the Sky Bolt at this stage? Or should we just apply the Sealant to the skin now and worry about installing the Skybolt flanges once our Engine Mount and Cowl shows up so we can align the Skybolt flange at the split just right? Will we have good access later to do this?

I assume yes, because people can add this kit after the plane has been flying.
I recommend that you wait until you receive and are ready to install your engine mount. I installed 20 flanges to my firewall to minimize the possibility of the upper cowling flexing or lifting in flight. This was MY concern. I do not know for sure if this is a genuine problem for all -14s but planned for removing my concern with 20 flanges. Also, you can possibly run into an interference issue with the upper engine mounting position. so plan ahead and layout flanges prior to drilling and install.
As I installed the flanges w/sealant, I crimped down the area with vice grip pliers and or another type of clamp to guarantee a snug/tight fit. Clecos alone are not strong enough to hold edges snug enough. See photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204_191141_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204_191141_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Back