What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Access Hatch - Dimple Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pmax

I'm New Here
Hi All,

Is a #6 dimple die set required to build the RV-12iS? I don’t see it listed on the builder’s tool requirements in Section 3, but step 7 on page 17-04 of the KAI (revision 4), Installing Access Hatch, instructs you to dimple the screw holes in the W-1202-L Mid Wing Skin and in the VA-195H Access Hatch to install AN507-6R6 screws and K1100-06 nutplates. If it isn't required, what did you use to complete this step (i.e. the 1/8 or 3/32 dimple die set)?

Thanks,
Chadd

Hi Chadd,

I also found I didn’t have #6 dies when I got to that step; I just ordered them and kept working - it was easy to go back and dimple & install nutplates there a little later.

…Bryan

I bought the Cleveland tools dies, and have noticed they do a great job. They create nice, crisp dimples that leave the skins undistorted. I can't say I've seen other builds undistorted by the dimpling. I also use the C frame with a quick whack to do them.

Hi Chadd,

I also found I didn’t have #6 dies when I got to that step; I just ordered them and kept working - it was easy to go back and dimple & install nutplates there a little later.

…Bryan

Bryan - Thanks, I appreciate it.

To close this thread and document for future builders, Van’s technical support confirmed that you do need #6 dimple dies to complete this step.

Chadd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back