What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

14A Prop Size

rjm727

Well Known Member
Well, we made the decision to change our build from a 14 to a 14A. There are a variety of considerations driving this decision. We have already ordered our prop (72” two blade Hartzell) paired with the IO390 Exp 119 with dual P Mags. The big question is, do we need to change to the 74”? I spoke to the mothership and they advise that there is negligible difference in performance between the two. Can anyone offer any insight?

I had a Hartzell 72” BA that I was planning on using on a -7 project. I sold the -7 project and decided to build a -14 instead. I didn’t sell the prop with the -7 project and had full intentions on using it on the -14. A friend of mine had (has) a 14-A with a composite prop on it (I don’t remember which one) but he said he could feel a slight buzzing while flying it and asked if he could try my prop out, which I agreed to. He liked it so much he never gave it back and he just ordered another one for me. So, the moral to the story is that the 72” BA works just fine on the 14-A.

Awesome, thank you Mark

I had a Hartzell 72” BA that I was planning on using on a -7 project. I sold the -7 project and decided to build a -14 instead. I didn’t sell the prop with the -7 project and had full intentions on using it on the -14. A friend of mine had (has) a 14-A with a composite prop on it (I don’t remember which one) but he said he could feel a slight buzzing while flying it and asked if he could try my prop out, which I agreed to. He liked it so much he never gave it back and he just ordered another one for me. So, the moral to the story is that the 72” BA works just fine on the 14-A.

Hartzell props from Van's and model applicability:

Ref: https://www.vansaircraft.com/order-a-kit/hartzell-propeller-order-form/

"Propeller size note:

- The 74" blade diameter propellers are applicable to all "A" model RVs plus the RV-8.

- The 72" blade diameter propellers are recommended for all tailwheel aircraft (except the RV-8 as noted above) to ensure adaquate ground clearance for those models."

i-bb5bbFT-M.jpg

Yes, both the 72” and 74” are applicable to the 14A. I had ordered the 72” because the 74” is not recommended for the straight 14 (tailwheel). Just wondering if anyone had some insight on if there was a significant difference. According to Vans, it is negligible and I would not notice a difference. I am considering switching to the 74”, however, to offset a small amount of additional weight in the tail from the tailwheel mount already being installed. It is nominal, however, I understand the empty weight CG is already a little aft on the 14A. The couple of extra pounds up front would help offset the couple of pounds from the mount.

Hartzell props from Van's and model applicability:

Ref: https://www.vansaircraft.com/order-a-kit/hartzell-propeller-order-form/

"Propeller size note:

- The 74" blade diameter propellers are applicable to all "A" model RVs plus the RV-8.

- The 72" blade diameter propellers are recommended for all tailwheel aircraft (except the RV-8 as noted above) to ensure adaquate ground clearance for those models."

i-bb5bbFT-M.jpg

Back