What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Satin black????

GEM930

Well Known Member
Friend
Ok, so I have read the few threads I could find on black paint jobs and had almost talked myself out of it based on possible heat issues, excessive fuel venting, poor visibility, and potential durability problems and then........
I was southbound on SR-65 just west of Lincoln, Ca airport (LHM) yeaterday at about 5:45 pm when I look up and saw what looked like a black (or at least very dark) RV...... VERY cool....
Next thing I know I'm looking for black airplane pictures again!!!!
I really think I'd like to throw a curve in and go satin instead of gloss.... Just afraid it will end up looking like the 1979 Trans Am I drove around high school in primer for a year before I could afford to throw some actual paint on it. Anyone ever seen a satin paint job on a plane?

This just makes my jaw drop, but it might be the car and not the paint.

5D0FEDEE-C54E-4F69-838D-7BEF73088A0A-164-0000000A2291CAC5.jpg

The plus side of such a paint job is less reflection off of the wings etc. (one reason I didn't polish mine, along with the effort of keeping a polished airplane shiny). Black is probably pretty easy to see in the sky as well (at least during daylight :D)

Build/paint what you want. As long as it's not bizarre (and black is not, IMO), won't make any difference to most folks. If you sell it eventually, someone can repaint.

Greg

Don't do it

Yes it's the car not the paint. Flat or satin isn't durable and polishes when you rub up against it. I have heard of some expensive flat paint that is supposed to be pretty good but I don't have experience with it- it was genesis by sherwin Williams. The cheaper flat stuff that I have painted on cars is really hard to paint, and doesn't last like regular paint. As someone else said its less visible as well. My two cents being a body shop owner/ painter

Gregg,
If you want it black, paint it black.

Wade Lively's RV-8:
20gmnx3.jpg

2dspi06.jpg

34rare9.jpg

I forget who owns this black F-1 Rocket, but it's a beauty!
23w4lcw.jpg

Not too long ago I saw a flat silver BMW M3. Google "frozen silver metallic". Nope you don't want to paint your RV in either color, find something else. ;)

paint....or....?

IIRC even the base/clear systems can have the gloss modified, so you should be able to get a durable top coat that has that satin sheen, which won't change over time. could be a bear to touchup.
just for accents, 3M (and others) sell several blacks in a ready to apply vinyl automotive wrap film. ( flat, carbon fibre, satin, gloss etc.) so that might be an option too if you just want to do some accent panels. I plan to do my top cowl for non-glare reasons, but don't want to paint.

Not too long ago I saw a flat silver BMW M3. Google "frozen silver metallic". Nope you don't want to paint your RV in either color, find something else. ;)

Ok, I googled it, but not still not sure why I would not to to paint it satin????
There is a lot of info on care and while it is different, it does not sound any more difficult if one uses the correct products (or does not use the wrong ones - silicone waxes). Some info suggest that it may be easier and hides slight imperfections better. The RV-8 in the photo looks satin or matt.... Is the owner on VAF? I'd love to hear his thoughts. Hotter??? Excessive fuel venting? Care?

Black RV

I cant post photos but you can see my black RV on you tube at "Dixie Flyer First Flight"

I like flat too, but think satin is the way to go! I think it would push it just far enough that it does not get mistaken for primer.

Here's my old -4 in flattened urethane. Pretty hard to get it to lay down evenly IMHO. I don't own the plane now so I can't comment on durability.
29617c6.jpg

Gregg,

The F1 in Moose's post is Greg Fisher's, I believe. Its actually a deep, dark blue...but very impressive!

I always thought the T-38s at Beale AFB (the ones the U-2 pilots also get to fly) are really cool looking (and I'm a squid, so it I guess has "Joint Warfighter" appeal!)

There are a bunch of nice photos of black T-38s, including some that look like Wade's cool RV-8, on this website.

From different sites, some of those Beale shots to whet your appetite (I think the T-38s are gloss, but you could probably get away with Satin or Flat too):
Black%2520T-38s.jpg

Black%2520T-38%2520on%2520ground.jpg

U-2.jpg

Of course, you could go for the "TOPGUN Bad guy" look too:
Topgun-F-5E-Tiger-II-2.jpg

But ya gotta let me fly inverted, canopy to canopy with ya, if ya go that route! Just once...K? ;)

Have fun...and I'd like to hear Pooner's gouge on the satin paint too! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Satin Black

Something to consider!
The other day a friend pulled up to the hangar in his Black Infinity, (hot sunny day here in Florida). Using an IR temp. gun the trunk lid of the car was approaching 170*F. I don't think I would want the wings of my airplane 170*F

Something to consider!
The other day a friend pulled up to the hangar in his Black Infinity, (hot sunny day here in Florida). Using an IR temp. gun the trunk lid of the car was approaching 170*F. I don't think I would want the wings of my airplane 170*F

just what i was thinking. not in florida thank you. coffee, work cloths, stealth ok.:p

Well, I just saw a car at the wings over Houston air show yesterday, it was not only flat black but it absorbed radar signals too. You could try that paint and never have talk to atc again!!:eek:

bird

High visibility decals

I understand your concern about not being visible to other aircraft.

Maybe a large gold screaming chicken decal would help. You know, like back in the day;)

Barfing chicken!

It's a "barfing chicken", Hugh! How many times do I have to tell you?

838726E9-CDB8-4528-9B52-58FEE433CBAA-111-0000000595308C89.jpg

Do what YOU want

GEM930

Thanks for the compliments. My partner and think it looks bad a$$. We both worked on the F-117A at Tonapah and turns out it was only scheme we could agree on.

Living in Texas it does get hot. The pictures posted were taken in August and after 30 min in the sun the black is hot to the touch. But, that will be a good thing when it is cold. :)

Can't speak for fuel venting as I have not had it full sitting on the ramp for any extended time as of yet.

Dust and greasy finger prints seem to show a bit more, but we bought a static clean wipe that works great for the dust.

You will have issues with touch ups matching exactly I am told, no experience yet. I think that even if it doesn't match exactly it is a plus as any chips or scrapes could be easily touched up with flat black paint. As I think you would have to be very close to see any difference. The tape is actually proving that out. The black "speed" tape matches perfectly, you can't even see the tape from 10 feet away. Look at the picture with my partner sitting in the cockpit on the ramp, can you see the 4 pieces of tape that are visible?

Wanted to use PPG Flex flat and clear over black paint but painter was Dupont guy and wanted to use what his rep recommended, DuPont Hot Rod Black. Looks good, single stage, but they don't make it anymore and I wonder if performance is why. I have found it to be brittle. Can't complain too much for the $ spent, but if doing again I would make he used the PPG clear. If you want a single stage a lot of custom hot rodders at the paint supply store recommended SEM hot rod black. This is the car that got me thinking flat black, http://www.autoblog.com/photos/fiveaxis-lexus-is-f/ . I emailed them and they told me they used the SEM product on the car.

It looks cool. It looks different. The tower guys will love you. We spent time with them when flying out of San Marcos for the first few hours, it is very easy to see in the daytime sky.

Feel free to ask anything else.

Last edited:
Well, Give me the run down Bob.

I have a gallon of the Kirker Hot Rod Black, a gallon of Wimbledon White, and a gallon of the Kirker matte clear. Friend of mine painted his 55 Chevy with Hot Rod Black, came out awesome. Haven't painted my rocket yet so thats all I can tell you.

Regarding black or dark colors on your plane:

One interesting thing that I noticed with my 1994 RV-4 was that the black leading edge did interesting things occasionally.
rv-4.jpg

Immediately after landing, and after coming down quickly from colder altitudes, the interior parts stayed cold, while the sun quickly warmed the black skin. The skin would make some rather spectacular oil cans. They never hurt anything, but the first time I saw it happen, I just about browned my shorts.

Also, Kirker paints are A-OK for general use. I've put them on boats, and other vehicles. Never on an airplane (yet) but can see no reason why they wouldn't be just fine. I used a similar brand on the RV-4 in the photo, and it was A-OK while I owned it, kept in a hangar. I didn't even prime that plane, so I suspect that adhesion problems may have cropped up later in its life. (In other words, use some sort of primer as needed.)

Last edited:
Well, the more I look into it the more I'm starting think a vinyl wrap may be the best way to get the look I want. That pic of the Porsche I initially posted is actually a wrap!

Back