What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sweep opinion

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have fit the wings and set incidence and drilled the rear spar hole up to 3/16. The wing is square to the fuselage within 1/8". In double checking things I discovered the leading edge of my wings have a slight sweep forward. With a line drawn between wing tips at the leading edge, when a drop a plumb bob at the root end it sits 1/4" forward of the tip to tip line. It is the same with both wings, they appear swept forward the same amount

So the question, do I call this good or since my rear spar hole is undersized do I try to correct this. Knowing any new hole I drill can have an effect on the incidence. I am looking for opinions, I am thinking I am being too anal about this. I guess I was not anal enough in the first place.

Thanks

From your description, it sounds like you have sweep-back. Not forward.
Either way, there's no problem. Well within tolerance.

Last edited:
Forward

Thanks Mel, my description is not clear but the root end of the wing sits aft of the tips, the leading edge of the root is aft of the line drawn tip to tip. But you think I am okay? This is kind of like drilling out a rivet, I am afraid I will make things worse if I try to make this zero sweep at this point.

I bet if you lower the tail a wee bit you can get everything to line right up :D. I agree with the others -- leave it.

and plumb bobs and digital levels are the enemy of finishing!:D

That's funny stuff. I'm about to chuck my expensive digital level against a wall. I keep finding myself trying to make the stupid thing read "0.0" degrees. Like a 10th of a degree is going to matter....

Back