What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baja Designs wiring harness

Jskyking

Well Known Member
Is there a preferred method to splice the “ Vans supplied” wing light wiring harness to the pigtail that plugs into the BD lamp assembly?
I saw a picture that a builder posted using tefzel wire to splice into the pigtail but the picture didn’t illustrate the connection to the supplied wiring harness.
Thanks
Jt

Just cut off the BD connector then butt splice, Use a male/female fast on pair, or handshake pair—same methods you’d use on other connections around the airframe.

First off, make sure to keep the polarity right (positive/negative).

I used the Baja weatherpack connectors. Why not? If you ever replace a light assembly then it's easy peasy since the replacement will use the same plug right out of the box.

In my case I was adding a light where there was none before so I ran a length of two-conductor shielded 16 gauge wire from the instrument panel to the landing light on the wing. I am a stickler about EMI and noise in radios and other devices so I ground the shielding at each end. Power and ground both came from under the panel. If I had an existing power wire in place with ground being local I would definitely use that until such time as it might cause noise. It's a don't fix it if it ain't broke sort of approach.

I soldered the Baja wiring pigtail onto the landing light wires with heat shrink and wire loomed the results. No big deal. I prefer soldering over crimp butt splices. If you do use crimp butt splices use the ones that are heat shrinkable after crimping. These type will seal and grip the wire insulation providing strain relief. Since I am finicky I extracted the pins from the light lead so i could put some un-slit convoluted tubing down the wire for additional protection and aesthetics. Then I re-pinned the connector.

Jim

Last edited:
Back