What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

antisplat main wheel bearing mod

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm looking for some reviews of the antisplat main wheel bearing mod. I have many of their products, including the nosewheel bearing mod, and have always been happy. The main wheel bearing mod is pretty expensive, so I wanted to see some reviews on here to determine if it's worth the cost. I couldn't find anything by searching the forums.
If any of you have done this mod, please let me know what you think.
Thanks!

Phil, I have a set of main wheels w/ the Antisplat bearing mod on the shelf in the hangar. The wheels have about 140 hours on them. PM me if you are interested...

Ron B.

I did all 3 at the same time, I don't want to be greasing bearings every year, and I was amazed at how much weight it took to balance my wheels. In my opinion worth every penny spent and also fast turn round and excellent service.

I recently had Antisplat perform their main wheel bearing, new tire truing, and balancing mod on my RV-4. The marked improvement in ground roll smoothness during take off and landing roll out was immediately noticeable. By smoothness I mean lack of vibration / shimmy. Granted it's not a cheap mod but I'm very satisfied with the finished product.
Steve S.

If they spin that well, then what's keeping them from spinning during the entire flight?

If the tire gets out of balance then there might be a continuous vibration.

Anti-Splat Bearing Mod Pirep

Our RV8 main wheels were converted by Anti-Splat two years ago when I got tired of the mess on the wheels and brakes from the horrible stock felt shields. After over 300 hours and 400 landings, the bearings are just fine, and even roll with less friction than when they were new. No issues with continued spinning/vibration in flight. Maybe that's because I balanced the wheels? I'll try braking the wheels in flight to see if they are spinning.....:)

Axle spacers?

Another builder has been very kind and allowed me to try his wheels with the mod, that he is not using. I have a question about installing the wheels with the antisplat mod. Do I still use the U-405 Axle spacers with the new wheel?
Thanks!
Phil

Back