What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatic Instruction in SF Bay area

drainge

Hi all,

I'm looking for aerobatic instruction around the bay area, preferably in an RV-7 or -7A.

I have something like 160hrs in my own RV-7A and I'd like to continue to build skill with the airplane and to gain familiarity with the edges of the flight envelope. Because I do a fair amount of flying in and around the mountains I'm also hoping to gain some experience with unusual attitude recovery -- I've never been knocked upside down in turbulence, but I'd like to be prepared if it ever does occur.

Please send any suggestions for qualified instructors my way.

Thanks!
- Dan

Last edited:
I don?t quite know what to make of your first sentence. You cannot legally rent an RV for this purpose. If you meant, instruction in your airplane: ask at Attitude Aviation at KLVK. They may be able to refer you to someone.

I don?t quite know what to make of your first sentence. You cannot legally rent an RV for this purpose. If you meant, instruction in your airplane: ask at Attitude Aviation at KLVK. They may be able to refer you to someone.

Perhaps the term "aerobatic" is incorrectly used here. My understanding is that under FAA notice 8900.15 training deviations may be granted for type-specific recurrent training as well as flight review training. My intent with the training is to become safer and more proficient with the RV-7 specifically, up to and including operation at the edge of the flight envelope, not to receive general aerobatic training. For instance, I've never practiced an approach-to-landing stall and subsequent spin, and I think getting a couple under my belt (at altitude!) would help me to understand how that type of accident can occur, and how to avoid one. Maybe this type of training does not fall under the deviation?

http://www.tutimaacademy.com/

Or just fly or drive a short distance south and get some of the best aerobatic instruction available anywhere.

Thank you for the suggestion! What's down south?

Perhaps the term "aerobatic" is incorrectly used here. My understanding is that under FAA notice 8900.15 training deviations may be granted for type-specific recurrent training as well as flight review training. My intent with the training is to become safer and more proficient with the RV-7 specifically, up to and including operation at the edge of the flight envelope, not to receive general aerobatic training. For instance, I've never practiced an approach-to-landing stall and subsequent spin, and I think getting a couple under my belt (at altitude!) would help me to understand how that type of accident can occur, and how to avoid one. Maybe this type of training does not fall under the deviation?

Thank you for the suggestion! What's down south?
Down south (not too far) is Sean Tucker’s school.

The FAA’s current policy (unless there’s been a recent change that I missed) is that waivers (LODAs) will be granted to the ‘no rental’ rule only for initial type-specific training. I do have a LODA, and it forbids me from signing off a flight review even if we cover all the elements during transition training. But since you own your own airplane, why would you want to rent? You may pay a cfi for any kind of training, as long as you furnish the airplane.

Last edited:
Ah -- maybe I'll check out Tucker's school. Although the prices.... ouch.

Good to know about the limitations of the LODA. Flying in my 7 is certainly possible, but I don't have a canopy release installed, and I figured that may be a limitation.

Spent a week with the instructors Ken and Yuchi at the Tuitima school. I can't say enough great things about it. best flight instruction I ever received.

...all in good fun :)

ofI.jpg

Last edited:
XL Aviation in Livermore (spin off from Attitude Aviation). Great aerobatic planes and pilots. Rich Perkins is among the best instructors and aerobatics pilots. I have taken him up in my RV7 many times for BFRs and aerobatic check rides.

Back