What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator bracket, narrow deck O-360

WyoDave

Well Known Member
My RV-6 has an O-360 narrow deck with Nippon Denso alternator. While checking belt tension I discovered the deck style mounting bracket is cracked. Does anyone have a suggestion where to find a replacement? Van's list a generic bracket on their site, but no photo or what applications. I've emailed them, but thought I would ask here for suggestions. The one I have can probably be welded, but I would just as soon replace if available and reasonably priced.

The one offered by VANs is steel, and very thin (think light weight). I used one on my Narrow Deck O-360 mounting a DENSO mini alternator, and it cracked. The mini alternator does not have a 3 point mount, so it might be my fault due to mis-aplication.

I would weld it and brace it off the starter if you can. A number of starters have a threaded hole to add a brace for the alternator. The heavy narrow deck alternator brackets are hard to find.

Possible replacements...

Thanks for the help so far! I've had a couple of PM's from guys that may have a replacement. As many RV's as there are with these alternators, I figured there would be lots of brackets out there. Apparently that is not the case!
David Daniel

Thanks for the help so far! I've had a couple of PM's from guys that may have a replacement. As many RV's as there are with these alternators, I figured there would be lots of brackets out there. Apparently that is not the case!
David Daniel

Most of the narrow deck engines shipped with a generator, hence the limited supply. I didn't like how thin the van's bracket was, so I did some welding surgery on the generator bracket that came with my 320 to make it work for the alternator.

Larry

B&C Specialty sells a case-mount kit. I used one and I also have a Nippon Denso alternator. You might have to modify the spacers to line up the pulleys.

Back