What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New pilot in Socal

1flyingyogi

Well Known Member
Hi guys. I'm a new pilot (just passed my check-ride for light sport 2 weeks ago!!). I'm interested in buying an RV6 and was wondering if there's anyone here in Socal who would like to meet up/ hang out/ fly and let me pick their brains a little. :)

My plan is to get an RV6 and find someone who will train me in it for me to get my private certificate. The trick is to find a CFI who also has experience in an RV and willing to train me in it.

If there's anyone here who has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking at an RV6 right now to buy and it seems like a great deal, so I'll need to act on it soon. But I want to make sure I can find someone who will train me in it before buying.

Thanks in advance for all your comments/ suggestions.

Brian

I'm sure Mike will come along soon to be the official welcomer, but welcome to the good ship. I can't help with your need, but wanted to welcome you and say Congratulations on becoming a pilot and it's good to hear that you're not stopping at Sport Pilot.

Welcome to VAF!

Hi guys.
Brian

Hi Brian.
welcome.gif
to VAF

.... I have 3 instructors in the inland empire that would be very happy to work with you. If this isn't too far away for you just let us know and I will introduce you to them. Two of these guys have RVs themselves. Thanks, Allan

.... I have 3 instructors in the inland empire that would be very happy to work with you. If this isn't too far away for you just let us know and I will introduce you to them. Two of these guys have RVs themselves. Thanks, Allan

Thanks Allan. Yes, I'm very interested. It is a bit far from me (I'm in Long Beach and have been flying out of Torrance KTOA). But I'll take whatever I can get right now.

In fact, I need to find a CFI ASAP and confirm that I can get instruction in it before I buy. The deal is going through and the seller will be here to do the inspection in about a week. But I don't want to commit yet until I'm 100% sure I have a CFI who will train me in it. Please have them contact me or give me their info so I can call them.

Thanks again! You/ they can also PM or email or text me. [email protected] 714-397-2737

Hi and looking for a CFI

Hi. I'm new to the forum and a new pilot. Just passed my Sport Pilot check-ride 2 weeks ago and I'm super enthusiastic about flying and buying an RV6!

I'm working on a deal right now on what seems to be a great buy on an RV6. But before committing, I need to be sure I can find someone who will train me in it. I'm looking for a CFI in the SoCal area (Long Beach/ Torrance). The seller is scheduled to fly here for the pre-buy inspection next week, so I need to find a CFI soon. It would be great also just to meet up with other local RV owners. There's lots for me to learn, but I'm very excited about it. Hope my enthusiasm for flying doesn't wear off - I have not been this excited about something in a long time. =)

My goal is to get my Private Certificate and in the short term, get training in the RV to be comfortable enough that I can get signed off to solo in it. Then instead of wasting money renting, I can do the rest of my training for Private in my own airplane (which makes more sense anyway, b/c that's the plane I'll be flying after I'm done).

As far as hours, I already have about 50 (Private requirement is 40). I only need to take my written for private, which I plan to do soon, and get a few hours of training in night flying and instruments. That's about it, unless I'm missing something.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks. It's great to be here on the forum!

Sport Pilot?

I have never trained a sport pilot, so admittedly my understanding of "light sport" eligible aircraft is fuzzy. My fuzzy understanding leads me to the statement that an RV-6 is not a light sport eligible aircraft...by any means.

So...your plan is to buy an RV-6, and receive a tail wheel endorsement, and endorsement to fly the PPL practical in a new to you high[er] performance aircraft.

First...this CAN be done. But will bring with it some challenges.
-finding a CFI with RV time, comfortable teaching primary in it
-finding a CFI comfortable teaching tailwheel at the primary level, there are less and less in today's day.

Not insurmountable by any means; but I wonder if it might be a more comfortable, faster, and less expensive to finish your PPL in a spam can?

Bottom line: Is there a reason for the rush? Fill in the gaps for me.

POST SCRIPT EDIT: Congratulations on earning your wings!!

Last edited:
No, the RV6 is not an LSA. That's why I'm looking for a CFI to train me in it. If I were buying a Sonex or other LSA, then I would not need to do anything but just buy and fly it. =)

But since my goal is to eventually have a private certificate (which is not really that much more effort/ hours in addition to what I already have as Light Sport Pilot), I thought it would make a lot more sense to do the training in MY airplane than to train in something like a Cessna or other airplane I never intend on owning/ flying.

The reason for the rush is b/c it's a really good buy and if I don't act on it, I'm afraid I will lose it to another buyer. Otherwise, I have all the time in the world. =)

I have never trained a sport pilot, so admittedly my understanding of "light sport" eligible aircraft is fuzzy. My fuzzy understanding leads me to the statement that an RV-6 is not a light sport eligible aircraft...by any means.

So...your plan is to buy an RV-6, and receive a tail wheel endorsement, and endorsement to fly the PPL practical in a new to you high[er] performance aircraft.

First...this CAN be done. But will bring with it some challenges.
-finding a CFI with RV time, comfortable teaching primary in it
-finding a CFI comfortable teaching tailwheel at the primary level, there are less and less in today's day.

Not insurmountable by any means; but I wonder if it might be a more comfortable, faster, and less expensive to finish your PPL in a spam can?

Bottom line: Is there a reason for the rush? Fill in the gaps for me.

POST SCRIPT EDIT: Congratulations on earning your wings!!

I would recommend, as Paul said, getting your Private Pilot training first in a spam can. The RV-6 is a great airplane but it was not designed as a primary trainer. Things happen fast and it is not very forgiving of being mishandled.

+1 what Mel said. Nearly *everyone* gets their private in a rented spam can for very good reasons. Once you fly that thing around a while with your "license to learn," then you will truly know if this is just a one time deal (most people) or something you can stick with. Remember renting is cheaper than owning, esp. in Long Beach, i can almost guarantee.

The only exception i can think of is if your immediate family are already pilots/owners and you grew up in an aviation family, etc.

The reason for the rush is b/c it's a really good buy and if I don't act on it, I'm afraid I will lose it to another buyer.

Much like houses, there is always another one...buying one in a hurry could turn out to be a very costly mistake.

Take your time...there's always another plane for sale just around the corner if you don't get this one.

Sport pilot to Private pilot

I am a Light Sport Airplane Instructor. I just talked to the Light Sport expert at EAA (forgot his name but if you call and ask for that guy he will answer) about this transition you intend to make from Light Sport pilot to Private pilot.

I was told that none of the training you received in a light sport aircraft counts towards the private pilot. EAA and AOPA fought this but lost. So basically you will need forty more hours.

That did not sound right to me but I questioned him several different ways and the answer never changed.

That sounds harsh and it is. EAA was hoping to get all light sport training to count then just add night and instrument training, some cross country and there you go.

I doubt the guy was wrong but perhaps someone here can verify or shoot down this response.

That sounds exactly contrary to what I understood from my experience with the Maverick LSA and other training with my DPE friend.

I am a Light Sport Airplane Instructor. I just talked to the Light Sport expert at EAA (forgot his name but if you call and ask for that guy he will answer) about this transition you intend to make from Light Sport pilot to Private pilot.

I was told that none of the training you received in a light sport aircraft counts towards the private pilot. EAA and AOPA fought this but lost. So basically you will need forty more hours.

That did not sound right to me but I questioned him several different ways and the answer never changed.

That sounds harsh and it is. EAA was hoping to get all light sport training to count then just add night and instrument training, some cross country and there you go.

I doubt the guy was wrong but perhaps someone here can verify or shoot down this response.

As I read it, it's not the training in the light sport aircraft that doesn't count, it's training by an instructor who is *only* certified for light sport that doesn't count towards the instruction requirements for a PP license.

http://sportpilottraining.sportaviationcenter.com/private-pilot/

If the instructor in the LSA was certified as PP CFI, and not "just" an LSA CFI, then it should count.

As I read it, it's not the training in the light sport aircraft that doesn't count, it's training by an instructor who is *only* certified for light sport that doesn't count towards the instruction requirements for a PP license.

http://sportpilottraining.sportaviationcenter.com/private-pilot/

If the instructor in the LSA was certified as PP CFI, and not "just" an LSA CFI, then it should count.

This is a shocker! If i would have known, I would have gone with one of the many CFI's at the school that are not LSA-only. Exact same training, exact same plane, exact same requirements, exact same check-ride. But because of the instructor, I cannot count my hours?!

What a stupid rule!!! If you get to a point where you can fly the plane safely, as demonstrated by passing your check-ride, then who cares if the instructions were given by one type or another type of instructor?!

This sucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the instructor is a CFI OR CFII the logged dual ( I think only dual) hours will count toward a PP. if the instructor was only rated as an LSA INSTRUCTOR , nothing will count. Still must pass the written, oral and practical for PP too. Your instructor should have been very clear on this esp if you were planning on going for your PP later.

If you were LSA only ... Look for an RV-12!!!

Last edited:
As long as the instructor is a CFI OR CFII the logged dual ( I think only dual) hours will count toward a PP. !!!

Actually, as applied to airplanes, 'CFI' is short for certificated flight instructor - airplane and 'CFII' is short for certificated flight instructor - instrument airplane.
While most 'CFII's' also hold a 'CFI', it is not a prerequisite. Someone who holds only a CFII may NOT give the instruction required for a private certificate.

LSA as primary trainer for PPL

Hi Brian,

I got my PPL in an LSA. I used the Gobosh as my primary trainer. As far as I understand the rules, if your CFI was a "regular" CFI, then the hours you logged can count toward the PPL. That was sure the way it worked for me. I just used the LSA since I liked flying in a modern plane. If your CFI was a CFI-Sport then the hours are only good for the light sport rating. Silly rule IMHO. Flying is flying.

In any event, if you still have access to the LSA, it might be as fast as anything to finish your PPL in that. If the 6 is a really good deal, buy it and put it in a hangar, and look longingly at it as you finish and do transition training. Up to you of course. I assume you have had someone familiar with RV's do a prebuy for you? If not, I highly recommend you look into that. Many folks in SoCal do this, and it is worth every penny.

I currently own and fly a 6a and have flown a 7a. Love both of them. I did not find the transition that hard. The RV's actually fly like the Gobosh, just faster and better handling. Can't speak to the tail wheel part.

Best of luck, congrats on your sport license and welcome to the flying club!

Geoff

Last edited:
Oppurtunity

What a stupid rule!!! If you get to a point where you can fly the plane safely, as demonstrated by passing your check-ride, then who cares if the instructions were given by one type or another type of instructor?!

This sucks!

Sucks, it does. [If you say it like Yoda it may not sting as much?]

The rule is sound, they are training to two different (though somewhat similar at times) standards. I think as your PPL check ride draws close this will become apparent.

That said...this is an opportunity in waiting...

Yes, you will have some overlap in hours. Consider the national standard for PPL is ~65 hours. If you have been flying as of late, you should be ready in less [much less]. Use the excess hours to actually build some additional skills [versus making it a chore]...the certificate is only a 'license' to learn.
-Work on the commercial maneuvers (maybe not the stall series till after your PPL!)
-Get some spin/unusual attitude training! (acro if so inclined)
-Intro to mountain flying?
-Plan a dual XC to somewhere you actually want to go, or maybe a Bravo primary airport

I don't think anyone is saying "don't!" or "you're not good enough!"; because no one thinks that...we've all been there...BUT having been there I do think some are saying "slow down" and "there's no rush". Worth what you paid for it...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gobosh looks a lot like the Sling I trained in. The Sling is a fantastic airplane - much sportier and more responsive than the Cessna I started my training in many years ago.

I checked and unfortunately my CFI is certified to train Light Sport only, so my hours of instruction do not count. BUT total hours and solo hours do count (of which I have plenty). So I basically need an additional 20 hrs of instruction total. 3 hrs of night, 3 hrs of instruments, and estimated 5 hrs of tail wheel (11 total), plus a longer cross country than the one I did for Light Sport. Written test I'm not too worried about if I do it soon b/c everything is still pretty fresh and it's not too much more info than the one for Light Sport.

So the negative way of looking at it is I got "ripped off" 9 hrs. The positive way of looking at it is I have 9 more hours to be even more proficient and learn more. :)

My mechanic is an A&P/ IA and RV builder (his RV4 won some award last year for build quality). My friend is a long time pilot who's owned more than half a dozen planes. Both tell me this is an excellent buy. I would not have made such a big decision on my own with my limited experience! :)

I found a CFI (actually a few). They would be happy to train me in the RV6. One of them also trains in the Sling and assured me there is no problems at all for me to get used to the RV. He is also a tail-wheel aficianado. So it's perfect!

So the road will be a bit longer than I thought, and I was really bummed to find out that my instruction hours for LSA wont count, but I can and will still make this happen with the help from all the good people I know.

Thanks for everyone's input. Cheers.

Brian

Hi Brian,

I got my PPL in an LSA. I used the Gobosh as my primary trainer. As far as I understand the rules, if your CFI was a "regular" CFI, then the hours you logged can count toward the PPL. That was sure the way it worked for me. I just used the LSA since I liked flying in a modern plane. If your CFI was a CFI-Sport then the hours are only good for the light sport rating. Silly rule IMHO. Flying is flying.

In any event, if you still have access to the LSA, it might be as fast as anything to finish your PPL in that. If the 6 is a really good deal, buy it and put it in a hangar, and look longingly at it as you finish and do transition training. Up to you of course. I assume you have had someone familiar with RV's do a prebuy for you? If not, I highly recommend you look into that. Many folks in SoCal do this, and it is worth every penny.

I currently own and fly a 6a and have flown a 7a. Love both of them. I did not find the transition that hard. The RV's actually fly like the Gobosh, just faster and better handling. Can't speak to the tail wheel part.

Best of luck, congrats on your sport license and welcome to the flying club!

Geoff

Sounds like you have the right attitude. That's a BIG plus toward training.

I found a CFI (actually a few). They would be happy to train me in the RV6. One of them also trains in the Sling and assured me there is no problems at all for me to get used to the RV. He is also a tail-wheel aficianado. So it's perfect!

Be sure to check the insurance requirements for your instructor in your plane, should you buy it.

E.g., many policies require 5 hours transition training in make and model for *you*, so you'll need an instructor who is themselves insurable (sufficient hours in type) to get coverage on your policy.

Talk to your agent.

Brian,
Welcome to the world of RV's. You are going to have a blast with the community of pilots. Tom Berge ([email protected]) helped me as a tech adviser and then later as a transition trainer. You will see his name on the Van's site. Tom has inspected a lot of airplanes and helped people bring them up to snuff and trained many pilots. I would suggest you contact him to discuss your desires, both on the transition and pre-buy inspections. Good luck and again, welcome to the great community of RV pilots and builders.

Hey Brian, there are several RV's at TOA, my -6 being one of them. You can come over and look at it to your heart's content and ask all the questions you want. I'm assuming the award-winning -4 is Greg's?
You can finish your PPL at Pacific Skies (near where the Slings are), and if they don't do tailwheel transition training, go see Mickey and his green Citabria at the east end of the field. He's one of the best tailwheel instructors out there.

Heinrich

I go better info that matches what has already been said, "All solo time counts and if the instructor is a private level instructor it counts." The point here that you can benefit from is that your solo time already done counts and any flight time after receiving your rating counts towards total time, but you will still need all of the required dual time for private.

I suspect you have underestimated the tail wheel time your insurance company will require. Have you spoken with anyone who insures EAB aircraft? If not do so now, to avoid any other unpleasant surprises.

Long cross country

Brian,

I just looked up the Sling, it does look like the Gobosh! Anyway, here is an idea for you. It sounds like you have a great CFI lined up. Since you need to build time and experience, maybe take some long cross country flights. That does several things. First it is really fun! Second, it gives you a goal, something to look forward to. Third, if you pick Colorado, I will buy you guys dinner when you come out:)

Have a great time with the training. Post some pictures once you get everything lined up with the new plane.

cheers

Geoff

Hey Brian, there are several RV's at TOA, my -6 being one of them. You can come over and look at it to your heart's content and ask all the questions you want. I'm assuming the award-winning -4 is Greg's?
You can finish your PPL at Pacific Skies (near where the Slings are), and if they don't do tailwheel transition training, go see Mickey and his green Citabria at the east end of the field. He's one of the best tailwheel instructors out there.

Heinrich

Awesome! Thanks Heinrich. I'll PM you. And yes, the award-winning RV4 is Greg's. Would love to see your RV6. If weather permits, my seller is bringing the plane to KTOA on Monday for Greg to inspect. And if everything goes well, I can start my training in it right away. Not sure if you know Marc Lee, but he said he'll train me in the RV and also give me tail wheel endorsement. But I'll talk to your guy also. Will PM you now. :)

Be sure to check the insurance requirements for your instructor in your plane, should you buy it.

E.g., many policies require 5 hours transition training in make and model for *you*, so you'll need an instructor who is themselves insurable (sufficient hours in type) to get coverage on your policy.

Talk to your agent.

Thanks for the advice. I checked, got the policy, and everything is set. All I need is to give them the date to put the policy into effect. Waiting for the inspection to go through and I'm all set!

Brian,

I just looked up the Sling, it does look like the Gobosh! Anyway, here is an idea for you. It sounds like you have a great CFI lined up. Since you need to build time and experience, maybe take some long cross country flights. That does several things. First it is really fun! Second, it gives you a goal, something to look forward to. Third, if you pick Colorado, I will buy you guys dinner when you come out:)

Have a great time with the training. Post some pictures once you get everything lined up with the new plane.

cheers

Geoff

I was thinking the same thing this morning (about the long XC). Would love to take you up on your offer and maybe fly out to Colorado. My friend is a long time pilot and very adventurous. He's flown all the way to Alaska and back and to the mid-west.

I like flying, but generally not such long trips. Anyway, CO would be fun. Will let you know.

I'll post pics of the RV6 when I get it. But for now, I have lots of photos and videos of me in the Sling. One video is on Youtube (it's my first time doing a video, so it's not very polished, but it was fun doing it!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLUtirBPsC4

I suspect you have underestimated the tail wheel time your insurance company will require. Have you spoken with anyone who insures EAB aircraft? If not do so now, to avoid any other unpleasant surprises.

Thanks Bob. Yes, I checked and not only got a quote, but an actual policy written up and ready to go into effect. It's through AOPA through a company called Star Aviation Agency Insurance. And yes, they know that this RV6 is an experimental and tail wheel and have requirements in the policy regarding how much time for me and my CFI. My CFI is well beyond all they require.

Torrance RV's

Awesome! Thanks Heinrich. I'll PM you. And yes, the award-winning RV4 is Greg's. Would love to see your RV6. If weather permits, my seller is bringing the plane to KTOA on Monday for Greg to inspect. And if everything goes well, I can start my training in it right away. Not sure if you know Marc Lee, but he said he'll train me in the RV and also give me tail wheel endorsement. But I'll talk to your guy also. Will PM you now. :)

Brian,

I'm also based at KTOA with an RV-8, in case you want to look at another tandem. I would be glad to take you for a ride, too. I know Heinrich and Greg as well.

Skylor

Nice

Bryan - it looks like you have everything lined up. Your friends will give you good advice as to the purchase of an RV-6. Congratulations to you. Hope to meet you and receive a briefing from you about the Sling Flying Club after you get settled in. Again, congratulations. Best to you, Ed Eliot

Hi guys. Thanks for all the great information so far. I was never overly concerned or paranoid about safety and in my life I have had hobbies that could be considered "risky" (like driving at the racetrack, etc.), but when I was looking into insurance and found out the cost and why, I was startled by some statistics.

I wasn't sure yet whether I wanted an RV (much better airplane, but twice the cost) or a Sonex (not as desirable, but less expensive and in general easier to find something new-ish). Anyway, I found out that of the approximately 600 flying Sonexs, there have been 38 accidents, most of them fatal! And the vast majority of those due to engine failures and most of those being the Aerovee (VW) engines. That's scary! I'm hoping that stats for the RV are no nearly that bad.

Can someone point me to where I can find out how many RV's have been built and/ or currently flying and how many total accidents so far?

I know that to do an accurate analysis of "safety" is more complex than just looking at these numbers, but I just want a quick and dirty look at some simple numbers.

Insurance BTW is WAY cheaper for the RV than Sonex. For me personally, being a new, low-time pilot, it's $600/yr for the RV and about $1500 for the Sonex (liability only)! Have only looked at two companies, but these are the numbers I have gotten so far.

I think this may be what you're looking for:

http://www.vansairforce.net/AccidentsAndSynopsis.htm

As of January 15, 2016, the link lists (575) published FAA PROBABLE CAUSE (PC) documents going back a quarter of a century...all specific to RVs.

(The above is courtesy of our site Administrator.)

According to the Vans Website:

As of January 15, 2016 9,314 RV aircraft have been completed and flown!

https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/first-flights.htm

Listed by Model

RV-3 - 289
RV-4 - 1389
RV-6/6A - 2570
RV-7/7A - 1490
RV-8/8A - 1339
RV-9/9A - 1007
RV-10 - 786
RV-12 - 442
RV-14/14A - 2

Last edited:
Wow, good stuff Charlie! Thanks!

Brian

I think this may be what you're looking for:

http://www.vansairforce.net/AccidentsAndSynopsis.htm

As of January 15, 2016, the link lists (575) published FAA PROBABLE CAUSE (PC) documents going back a quarter of a century...all specific to RVs.

(The above is courtesy of our site Administrator.)

According to the Vans Website:

As of January 15, 2016 9,314 RV aircraft have been completed and flown!

https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/first-flights.htm

Listed by Model

RV-3 - 289
RV-4 - 1389
RV-6/6A - 2570
RV-7/7A - 1490
RV-8/8A - 1339
RV-9/9A - 1007
RV-10 - 786
RV-12 - 442
RV-14/14A - 2

So my deal on the RV didn't go through. Kinda bummed about that, but I gained a lot of really good experience just going through the process and feel much more prepared and confident in looking at future airplanes to buy.

I also just got my tail-wheel endorsement yesterday!!! It felt really good. It took me two days, 4 hours total, flying in a super nice, new Citabria. I was pleasantly surprised that it was not as hard as I imagined and didn't take long as I expected to get the hang of it. I had a great instructor and he also teaches aerobatics, so when the time comes, I'll know who to go to. :D

Now I just gotta find a plane! If anyone sees anything in the $50k range or less, please let me know. I'm looking for a basic VFR plane with low to mid engine time. I don't need fancy avionics or anything else. Just simple, reliable, turn-key and cant afford anything over $60k. Thanks for all the great information so far. :)

Brian

Got my private and an RV4!

So here's an update: I'm finally done! Passed my private check-ride a few weeks ago. It took much longer than I anticipated (mostly due to things out of my control), but so happy to be done and to be flying my own RV4.

After getting my Sport License in December, I went and got my tail-wheel training and endorsement in a Citabria, went to Oregon to do the transition training with Mike Seager, then went back to finish up my training for my private. During that time, I traveled all over the place and looked at lots of RV6's and 4's before I found a *great* RV4 in March. It's been a lot more work and effort than I ever expected, but it was all worth it! Now I really understand what people mean by having the "RV grin". =)

So far I've put on about 30hrs on the -4, and since starting my sport pilot training last July, I've accumulated almost 115hrs. Quite a lot of flying in 11 months!

I took my wife for our very first trip together in the RV and she admitted that it was a lot more fun than she expected and wants to go on more trips! We flew from Compton to Santa Ynez and spent the day hanging out in the Santa Ynez Valley and Solvang.

Thanks to all the great members of VAF for making this whole journey possible. Everything from great advice to finding someone to do the pre-buy, to meeting other local RVr's and learning more about these amazing aircraft.

Hope to meet more of you guys in the future. I'm always up for going flying, so let me know if anyone wants to meet up or go to a fly-in.

Here's a photo of Misa's first time in the RV - just before taking off on our trip to Santa Ynez.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3XXrCYpP8guZ21IODBoekZha2M/view?usp=sharing

Good ending to this phase in your life as a pilot. Glad you updated the group.
There are so many places you can be in a couple of hours... with your RV.
If you want to try a higher altitude, stop in at Prescott. Let me know and lunch is on me. (my wife flies the RV too) she would love to meet Misa.

Thanks for the update Brian. So glad to hear you got your PPL and are enjoying that beautiful RV-4.

Will you be flying it to Oshkosh this year?

Hey Charlie. I'm very tempted to, but just don't have the time. I may fly there commercially for 2 days or so. Are you going?

Good ending to this phase in your life as a pilot. Glad you updated the group.
There are so many places you can be in a couple of hours... with your RV.
If you want to try a higher altitude, stop in at Prescott. Let me know and lunch is on me. (my wife flies the RV too) she would love to meet Misa.

Thanks for the invite. Maybe we'll take you up on it after the summer. It's probably just a little warm over there right now. ;)

It's great that your wife also flies. Mine just wants to be the passenger. She just sits back, listens to her music, made me install a cup holder for her in the back and just enjoys the views and takes pictures. LOL.

I would recommend, as Paul said, getting your Private Pilot training first in a spam can. The RV-6 is a great airplane but it was not designed as a primary trainer. Things happen fast and it is not very forgiving of being mishandled.

What Mel said.... Also, can anyone chime in on the Insurance factor.... trying to insure a student pilot (to fly solo), I would think, be OBSCENELY expensive :eek: Rosie

What Mel said.... Also, can anyone chime in on the Insurance factor.... trying to insure a student pilot (to fly solo), I would think, be OBSCENELY expensive :eek: Rosie

I'm insured through Avemco. About $520/yr liability only. You have to meet certain requirements, like having a tail-wheel endorsement and having 8hrs of flight instruction in type and not taking passengers until you have 12hrs solo time. I think having a sport license at the time helped, but I'm not sure. I was just happy that it wasn't anything outrageous. Next year it should go down considerably - maybe by half.

for what it is worth.
a friend of mine who has been around airplanes for a long time finaly got his light sport license. went right out to fly his home built soneri, its a light sport also, did 4 take offs and 3 crash landings. damaged the soneri all 3 times. 4th time used all 5000 feet of the runway, almost crashed again. hasnt flown since. he thought it was easy to switch from one Ls to another. **** near killed himself. then he did some research and found out a soneri is designed to kinda be a quarter midget racer that stalls easily at 100 mph. explains why he had 4 bad landings. your a young pilot full of p&v. use your head and listen to the OLD living pilots here, and by the grace of god goes you!

Back