What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto prop specs/cost

hohocc

Well Known Member
Hi all.
I've been intending to use a Catto 2 blader on my RV6 0320 project, and although I'm not anything like finished one has come available locally.
It is 70 inch diameter and 72 inch pitch, specced for an IO320 powered RV8. Is this likely to be a good fit for my project? The graph on the Catto site suggests it may be.
Also what is the current approximate price for a 2 blader with nickel LE?
Yes I have emailed Catto but I understand they have a lot on right now so thought I may get a faster answer here!
Thanks!

Ok, my 320 should be around 165hp according to an engineer friend who knows a lot more than me.
Any other numbers out there?

Here's another datapoint. I have an RV-8 with a 150hp O-320 and in mid-2012 Craig and I were focused on cruise performance. I ended up with a 2-blade 70" diameter 72" pitch. It's a glass/carbon composite with nickel edges.

FYI - my propeller is over pitched for my 150hp O320.

Last edited:
I had a 2013 model 70x70 two blade on a 160 HP RV-9A (draggier than a 6) and that was under pitched. It worked out perfectly on neighbors 150 hp RV-9A.

Right rudder is building the same plane as mine and ordered a prop about a year or so after me and Catto built him a 70x71. I bet that prop will be perfect for him. (I ended up going with a whirlwind ground adjustable)

Given that, I'd say a 70x72 would be appropriate for a -6 perhaps. Now, keep in mind that the catto prop design changed slightly about a year ago or so and these numbers may be void now.......

I've been thinking of getting a catto 3 blade to try out and so far satisfied with the whirlwind GA. I REALLY liked the look of my two blade Catto though

dexz0l.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Derek, nice looking prop!!!

Mine's actually a 70x70 for my 160-horse IO-320 D1A. Build date is Oct. 2014, so as you suggest, the design may be a little different. When I ordered, I gave Catto the plane/engine specifics and was told without hesitation that the 70/70 was the prop for me. I went with the nickel leading edge, so it ought to last a good long time.

I hope to be able to give a PIREP real soon....I'm two lessons into my currency training/BFR and ready to get a hangar at Chino or Cable for final assembly. And rest assured, the wing stand will be passed along to the next deserving builder! :D

Edit: Aha! Found the receipt. Remember, these are 2014 prices, but I paid US $2450 for the prop, and an extra $500 for the nickel edges ($250 per blade). Other info on the invoice: "Top speed at target rpm...189-193 mph at 2750 rpm." The prop's maximum speed is rated at 3200 rpm. I suspect I'll be cruising in the 160-170 mph range, but it'll be fun to take her up past 190 (hopefully!).

Last edited:
2 blade Catto propeller

Hi hohocc,
I ordered my 2 blade Catto propeller about 6 weeks ago and got a message from Nicole a few days ago saying it was ready to be shipped.
Craig was happy for me to run a 70" x 72" for my RV-4 as a cruise prop,
0-320 (160hp).
Current price :-
Prop $2450
Nickel L/E $500
Hope this helps, your buy sounds perfect to me !

Thanks for all the contributions, that's given me enough info to proceed.
It would seem from the above answers that the 70x72 should at worst be quite close and possibly right on so I've taken the seller up on their offer.
Well that's one more of the significant expenses dealt with, roll on the next, and the next and the next.....

Given where you are, it's probably worth trying just to save shipping and import costs!

Hey Derek, nice looking prop!!!

Mine's actually a 70x70 for my 160-horse IO-320 D1A. Build date is Oct. 2014, so as you suggest, the design may be a little different. When I ordered, I gave Catto the plane/engine specifics and was told without hesitation that the 70/70 was the prop for me. I went with the nickel leading edge, so it ought to last a good long time.

I hope to be able to give a PIREP real soon....I'm two lessons into my currency training/BFR and ready to get a hangar at Chino or Cable for final assembly. And rest assured, the wing stand will be passed along to the next deserving builder! :D

Edit: Aha! Found the receipt. Remember, these are 2014 prices, but I paid US $2450 for the prop, and an extra $500 for the nickel edges ($250 per blade). Other info on the invoice: "Top speed at target rpm...189-193 mph at 2750 rpm." The prop's maximum speed is rated at 3200 rpm. I suspect I'll be cruising in the 160-170 mph range, but it'll be fun to take her up past 190 (hopefully!).

Doh! My bad, thought I read back then that you got a 70x71..... Anyways, I found that with my 70x70 I could easily hit 2800rpm as high as 10,000' DA. I Never left it fire-walled long enough to see how fast it would spin, but felt overall it was a bit too fine.

Last edited:
Good info, Derek. Am I right to think that with a little less pitch, take-off rpm will be higher and climb performance a little better than, say, a 70/72?

Good info, Derek. Am I right to think that with a little less pitch, take-off rpm will be higher and climb performance a little better than, say, a 70/72?

Yes, in fact I think you will be quite pleased. What was intriguing to me with the Catto was that even though I thought it was under pitched at altitude, I never thought so on the ground. My static run-ups were spot on, 2150-2200 if i recall, and climb was good to. I could just never firewall it, unless i was REAL high. Your ability to run lean of peak (with your FI), effectively reducing full throttle HP, might just make this prop a perfect fit for you.

I think BruceH runs lean of peak a lot on his cross countries, maybe he can chime on whether or not it allows him to firewall it?

Running full throttle on a carb produces more even fuel distribution, (butterfly straight up and down) but if your under pitched you can never do that unless you're really high up....

Back