What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tyre pressure

david.perl

Well Known Member
Am confused as to what to use for the stock tyres on a 7A

would be interested to hear what others are running at

thxs

David

They don't have "tires" where he's from, just "tyres". Thankfully, they're both round and typically made from rubber. :D

Am confused as to what to use for the stock tyres on a 7A

would be interested to hear what others are running at

thxs

David

You are probably confused for good reason. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the topic. I run mine at 35 psi because that is the pressure my builder suggested. But they don't hold pressure very well until the get to be some place around 30 psi. Some days when I add air I go to 40 psi just because I know they will settle a few pounds lighter.

When I was trying to get some insight into the topic, I read a lot of threads in here and it seemed like everyone used a different pressure. Maybe anywhere from 25 psi to 50 psi???

Good luck! Andy

after some experimentation

We like 45 in ours. use michelin leak-stop tubes and you will rarely have to service them.

I looked in all my literature, and I can't find anything about "tyres" ;)

I'm pretty sure that was the PROPER English spelling before we on this side of the pond decide to create our own version. Why don't you check with Webster.

I'd say your tire/tyre pressure is going to be dependent on what type of field surface you operate on. As mentioned earlier, 35#'s is a good comfortable pressure and you can adjust it from there to your liking.

Let's use the proper units of pressure in our tyres. I use 3.1 bar all around. Some here apparently like 2.4 bar also.

(Sorry David ;))

Guys: Just for a point of reference, I use 35 psi in the mains (Desser Monster Retreads) and 25 in the nose (Vans supplied) for my -9A with 1400 TTAF. I am currently doing a 100 condition inspection and have noted that the nose tire is wearing the center tread and the outer edges show little wear. My experience is that this wear pattern indicates over inflation. I have lowered the nose wheel tire pressure to 20 psi in an attempt to put more wear on the outer edges of the tire. Time will tell, Dan

Tire pressure

Stopped by the Desser booth at KOSH after just installing new retreads on my 6A. He gave me a chart for air pressure on all different sizes of tires and emphatically said to never run less than 50 PSI in my tires. He seemed to me to be an expert.?! YMMV
P.S. I would also run 50 PSI in my Tyres.

Guys: Just for a point of reference, I use 35 psi in the mains (Desser Monster Retreads) and 25 in the nose (Vans supplied) for my -9A with 1400 TTAF. I am currently doing a 100 condition inspection and have noted that the nose tire is wearing the center tread and the outer edges show little wear. My experience is that this wear pattern indicates over inflation. I have lowered the nose wheel tire pressure to 20 psi in an attempt to put more wear on the outer edges of the tire. Time will tell, Dan

Not a good idea to chase tread wear with tire pressure on a tube tire (or any tire for that matter), not only does low tire pressure contribute to premature flats but in the case of an 'A' model it may also contribute to a nose over incident.

I'd also recommend you change to the new style AeroClassic 8 ply if that is not what you are already using.

42, the answer to Life the Universe and Everything.

Tried 50 for a while and found that 42 seemed better.

I was told by a Van's employee and -6 owner that 28 PSI in the mains worked well for him. I haven't tried any more than about 30. I would think 45 would result in a much greater opportunity to bounce but I suppose that is also dependent on skill level :)

Last edited:
tire pressure

i used 25 psi ,all 3 tires for years. i now use 35 psi.
35 works better on turf runways. and seems to have less leakdown at 35psi.

Tire pressures

Tires are designed to wear out eventually. If the recommended pressures are greatly deviated from you're asking for trouble. I've had two tube failures in a little over one month. I'm flying a 6a and run 38 in the mains and 36 in the nose. If bouncing is an issue on landing try a different technique...instead of pressures. Rubber can,and and will work harden like metal will....eventually leading to premature failure. I just posted on this topic in the safety section.

Back