What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lit mini-rocker switches w/separate light circuit?

sbalmos

Well Known Member
HI all,

I'm trying to find a mini-rocker switch that has the necessary second set of poles for a separate lighting circuit. Something similar to below.

https://www.e-switch.com/product-catalog/rocker/product-lines/r1966-series-illuminated-rocker-switches

The usual full-size rockers, like the Honeywells, either still look too industrial, or are flat out way too big. And I'm not a fan of rocker switches where the whole switch body is illuminated. Just an indicator bar or dot, preferably illuminated when the switch is active, not full time.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Carling Contoura

Check these out. That's what I am using on my -6. The actuators are available in different colors and they have LEDs which illuminate with switch position. A supplier on the site here can engrave the window with the switch ID.

Otto K1/K2

Ottoexcellence.com. Look at the K1/K2 brochure, you can purchase them from Vans. They are used in the 12 and 14 possibly other models.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. I'm reading the VPX install manual. If I'm thinking through the logic of the schematic right, any switch with an independent light circuit in the switch can be used. The key is a diode on each switch, so the always-flowing +12v for the light doesn't flow back into the VPX control circuit. The light only comes on, though, because the light and switch would share a common ground, which is only closed when the switch is closed.

Does this sound right? Sunday morning electronics - fun. :)

Switch Lights

Maybe I'm overthinking this. I'm reading the VPX install manual. If I'm thinking through the logic of the schematic right, any switch with an independent light circuit in the switch can be used. The key is a diode on each switch, so the always-flowing +12v for the light doesn't flow back into the VPX control circuit. The light only comes on, though, because the light and switch would share a common ground, which is only closed when the switch is closed.

Does this sound right? Sunday morning electronics - fun. :)

Correct. Just make sure the diode is in the correct direction.

Oh I'm good at that Larry. 5 years of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering beat that into my head. :D Okay, except for that one lab where I rotated the current feed knob one click too far, and fed a resistor with 20A instead of 200mA. :eek: But I digress. Thanks!

Switch lights

Oh I'm good at that Larry. 5 years of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering beat that into my head. :D Okay, except for that one lab where I rotated the current feed knob one click too far, and fed a resistor with 20A instead of 200mA. :eek: But I digress. Thanks!

Please post pics. I'm still on the fence on the lights. I prefer old school traditional swiches for the simplicity but a small rocker with light is kinda cool.

This is the lit rocker switch setup I have.

YSV15DME_zpsb39639b4.jpg

I used these "K-Four" 14-30X, 20A lit rocker switches and they work very well. However I am not sure they will work with a VP-X system. For the VP-X you may have to use the 14-420 switch instead.

:cool:

Last edited:
I don't have pics of the charred resister Larry, sorry. :p Yes, I know you're referring to pics of the panel.

So here's the idea... My panel will be black powder coated or painted (haven't decided), with reverse-engraved labels. I'll use the Fiberlite backlighting or similar (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/fiberopticpanellight.php) to light up the labels at night. Lit rocker switches for indicating circuit engagement.

If you want to go a bit old-school, Larry, I was also considering those toggle switches that have a chrome leg, with an indicator light in the tip. Combine that with some switch guard loops. Kind of a retro look, up against all the G3X Touch whiz-bangery.

Old school

I don't have pics of the charred resister Larry, sorry. :p Yes, I know you're referring to pics of the panel.

So here's the idea... My panel will be black powder coated or painted (haven't decided), with reverse-engraved labels. I'll use the Fiberlite backlighting or similar (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/fiberopticpanellight.php) to light up the labels at night. Lit rocker switches for indicating circuit engagement.

If you want to go a bit old-school, Larry, I was also considering those toggle switches that have a chrome leg, with an indicator light in the tip. Combine that with some switch guard loops. Kind of a retro look, up against all the G3X Touch whiz-bangery.

I'm still trying to figure out how you went from 200 ma to 20 A in one click! Smoked many a part myself working board level 2 way radio repair. Once on purpose. Sometimes you gotta let the smoke out.
Once we had a tech who always stuck him nose in so we took a hose and ran it into the next room. When he stuck his nose, a tech in the next room blew smoke in the tube. Tool him a long time to figure it out. Hardest part was holding back the laugh.

I like those old school switches with a light. I'll look for those.

Back