What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ASA New Product Video is up! (July 2014)

PerfTech

Well Known Member
....We are making progress! We now have a video up on our website that shows our latest product. Please have a look at it and let us know your thoughts. We are very excited about this one and the response is incredibly positive. We hope this will fill another need for our fabulous airplanes. Regards all, Allan...:D

Allan,

Email sent but for the sake of everyone else considering this product:

Do you recommend 1 or 2?

What is the price and availability?

Do you have any claims to share regarding how they helped cooling in your testing?

The linear actuator will be in a hot environment, what kind of rating does it have for this application?

Last edited:
Hi Allen,
I didn't see your latest product (EZ cool flap) on the main page nor was able to find about the cost. When are these available and have you set a price tag on them yet?

Click on "Videos" at the top of the main page and it's the first video that pops up.

I did find and see the video but no price there. I went to the "product" page in search for it. Also, I was wondering if the flap door is like our flaps that can be opened to any degree or would it go to full open/full close?

I'm pretty sure a momentary switch would do the trick if someone had the desire for less than full cowl flap. :)

Extreme RVing

You could go full tilt and create a closed loop control system that would position the cowl flap based on CHT! ;)

Allan, this looks very promising.

Does it matter where you place the cowl flap? I.E. On the center line vs offset or bias towards the front or rear?

Allan--this is a cool :)eek:) solution to an ongoing problem. Certainly for us living in the heat wave that is the SOUTH, could use something that helps.
Keep up the great work!
Tom

Allan,

Email sent but for the sake of everyone else considering this product:

Do you recommend 1 or 2?

What is the price and availability?

Do you have any claims to share regarding how they helped cooling in your testing?

The linear actuator will be in a hot environment, what kind of rating does it have for this application?

... We only did our testing with one "EZ Cool Flap" installed, so can only attest to those gains. In a hard extended climb (80Kts. I was seeing 425 CHT without the flap and 400 with it open on my RV-9A. On the RV-7s we saw 20 to 25 degrees reduction as well, depending on the climb speed chosen. The cowl differential pressure goes up on average 24% with the flap opened so it is passing considerably more air. I don't want to mislead anyone by talking about temperatures they will see as every installation is different. I am quit certain that two of these will do considerably more than one but without measuring the cowl pressures I don't know exactly how much. I will say that about 30% of the orders so far have been for two, so apparently I need to gather that information.
... The linear actuator isn't rated by the manufacturer for the potential temperatures it can encounter. No one in our testing program has had a problem as of yet. We placed some actuators in our heat treating oven at 220 degrees and cycled them 1000 cycles with no failures. I would recommend the product be installed on the side of the cowl with the most heat shielding from the exhaust. Perhaps where the heat muff is etc. The radiated heat is the area of concern, like after landing and taxiing. One should try to shield away the radiated heat if possible.
... We made this first run of this product producing 100 units with pricing of $369. We posted the video last night and e-mailed the people that had requested notification when the parts were available. The sales have been pretty incredible to say the least, with over half sold by 11;00 AM today.
... We do not have this product on our main page yet but will try for tomorrow when our resident computer guy is here. I only posted the video so people could see we were making progress and see the actual item. Please just bear with us as all will smooth out with answers to everyone's questions etc. Regards all, Allan... :D

That's borderline brilliant. Who's going to do it first? :)

Not that application specifically, but I am in the design stage on a closed-loop controller to open & close an oil cooler shutter based on oil temperature. It wouldn't be a stretch to adapt it for that.

Thanks Allen for another great looking design. This is perfect for my new to me RV6A as it just moved to the desert country from the Northwest and she is having some issues with the 100 + degree temps that are so very rare up in the Seattle area.

I look forward to install two of these units and seeing some effect.

Randall Crothers

You could go full tilt and create a closed loop control system that would position the cowl flap based on CHT! ;)

That's borderline brilliant. Who's going to do it first? :)

Not that application specifically, but I am in the design stage on a closed-loop controller to open & close an oil cooler shutter based on oil temperature. It wouldn't be a stretch to adapt it for that.

That would be super easy to do with one of the modern EFIS/EMS units and an Arduino... You could sniff the serial stream from the EFIS/EMS and parse out the CHT variables and use either the servo library or the PWM output to drive the linear actuator (special order option on the actuator)....

That would be super easy to do with one of the modern EFIS/EMS units and an Arduino... You could sniff the serial stream from the EFIS/EMS and parse out the CHT variables and use either the servo library or the PWM output to drive the linear actuator (special order option on the actuator)....
RITFLOL!!! :p If ever there was a sentence written that proves that NERDS (whether computer, electronic, airplane, or any other type) speak a different language than a normal person this is it! :D

<SNIP>You could sniff the serial stream from the EFIS/EMS and parse out the CHT variables and use either the servo library or the PWM output to drive the linear actuator (special order option on the actuator)<SNIP>

Man, oh man, Brian, I just love that "engineer talk." No jesting, just noticing you slipped into your work mode. :)

P.S. Looks like Steve had the same thoughts as I did. I was distracted and didn't hit the "Submit" button before he did. :eek:

Last edited:
Man, oh man, Brian, I just love that "engineer talk." No jesting, just noticing you slipped into your work mode. :)

P.S. Looks like Steve had the same thoughts as I did. I was distracted and didn't hit the "Submit" button before he did. :eek:

Uh-oh. I didn't flinch when I read Brian's post. What does that say about me?

Uh-oh. I didn't flinch when I read Brian's post. What does that say about me?

Me either, and I am not an engineer and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn last night either!!
Placed my order for one of Allen's units this morning, we will see!!

Actuator Type

... The actuator we are using in not the L-12 but is instead an L-16. The L16 is a slightly larger version of the L12 with a bigger motor for faster speeds and handles heavier loads. These are actually manufactured in china with different component parts being made by several suppliers. We are told that this motor will handle higher temperatures. Thanks, Allan...:D

... The actuator we are using in not the L-12 but is instead an L-16. The L16 is a slightly larger version of the L12 with a bigger motor for faster speeds and handles heavier loads. These are actually manufactured in china with different component parts being made by several suppliers. We are told that this motor will handle higher temperatures. Thanks, Allan...:D

mufyhv.jpg

I like it

I wish I had this when I was out West this Summer. I made some shallow climbs after fuel stops to keep CHTs down. That's not the safest procedure. Vy is a better speed for initial climb. Even if the actuator requires periodic replacement because of temperature exposure I believe it would be worth it.

I wonder if a second one, on the top of the cowl, would be helpful on the ground to cool down the FWF area? It would only be used on the ground.

Dave

Dan H brings up a good point on the temp. I love the design and believe it will help a lot of folks but the "in-flight" temp may not matter much do to the airflow, I'm more concerned about the temp after engine shut down. The test results that I would like to see is MTBF when temps are in the 300F range and if/when the electronics within the actuator fail. By no means I'm beating down this wonderful design, just hoping to understand more about it and maybe even help drive future options/upgrade considerations.

One could fab up a NEMA 17 stepper, along with a small 1/4" or so acme screw and nut and be good for 250+ degrees. Using a stepper controller with something like an Arduino one could easily limit travel without any limit switches. Steps per rev times pitch of the screw.

Dan H brings up a good point on the temp. I love the design and believe it will help a lot of folks but the "in-flight" temp may not matter much do to the airflow, I'm more concerned about the temp after engine shut down. The test results that I would like to see is MTBF when temps are in the 300F range and if/when the electronics within the actuator fail. By no means I'm beating down this wonderful design, just hoping to understand more about it and maybe even help drive future options/upgrade considerations.

I intend to put in some radiant heat shields on the exhaust and to cover the actuator with reflective foil tape where possible. Hopefully the actuator is spec'ed well above the actual power needed for the job to help offset the temp concerns. If these things can help my RV provide better climb performance without sacrificing top end speed significantly, I am going to try em....

The positive results posted by Dan and Ken around their own designs and tests and the testing Allan has done looks promising. I have no idea if this actuator will live in the environment for a 1000+ hrs or not but I will let you know how it goes. :p In the event of poor service life, Allan's setup could easily be converted to some other home brew actuator that could be designed from the start for high temps.

Last edited:
I intend to put in some radiant heat shields on the exhaust and to cover the actuator with reflective foil tape where possible. Hopefully the actuator is spec'ed well above the actual power needed for the job to help offset the temp concerns. If these things can help my RV provide better climb performance without sacrificing top end speed significantly, I am going to try em....

The positive results posted by Dan and Ken around their own designs and tests and the testing Allan has done looks promising. I have no idea if this actuator will live in the environment for a 1000+ hrs or not but I will let you know how it goes. :p In the event of poor service life, Allan's setup could easily be converted to some other home brew actuator that could be designed from the start for high temps.

And the Experimental Spirit is ALIVE again. Thanks Brantel, you made my morning! :)

So how much does this actuator cost? It does not appear to me that this is a "critical to safety" item. If the actuator does give up the ghost at some time in the future and it fails open, or closed, what consequences are there? If the flight can continue with the door open, or closed, at the expense of a few lost knots of speed, or higher temps, is that a critical problem? If not, then if the actuator does fail why could one not just purchase a new actuator and be on his way again?

So how much does this actuator cost? It does not appear to me that this is a "critical to safety" item. If the actuator does give up the ghost at some time in the future and it fails open, or closed, what consequences are there? If the flight can continue with the door open, or closed, at the expense of a few lost knots of speed, or higher temps, is that a critical problem? If not, then if the actuator does fail why could one not just purchase a new actuator and be on his way again?

About $70...

I am thinking along the same lines as you!

Aircraft use?

I think Allen is on the right track. One concern is for "aircraft use". I use a commercial spring in my dimpling tool. Originally the manufacture not sell it to me because they thought it was going to be used in an airplane. After I explained it was for use in a tool they sold it to me.

If Allen's design takes off, purchasing thousands of actuators might raise a red flag. Hope it doesn't.

I think Allen is on the right track. One concern is for "aircraft use". I use a commercial spring in my dimpling tool. Originally the manufacture not sell it to me because they thought it was going to be used in an airplane. After I explained it was for use in a tool they sold it to me.

If Allen's design takes off, purchasing thousands of actuators might raise a red flag. Hope it doesn't.

The good thing is that these actuators are sold by dozens of re-sellers for the typical robotic hobbyist. I doubt we are gonna draw too much attention.

I am thinking of this mod for the 9A. Actuator cost seems very reasonable. Heck, oil filters are not cheap and we throw them out.
Climbing steep is good for a variety of reasons.
Letting the heat out a big hole... sounds like a new idea.... no wait, my old Cessna 180 had a big hole that I could adjust. Wasn't that in the days of Bonanza and the Ponderosa ranch. Good job Alan...

My C-180, with manual cowl flaps, uses an AN392 or 393 clevis pin and an AN416 safety pin. There's enough room with the cowl flap open to reach in with one hand and remove or reinstall the hardware.

Works great.

Dave

Perhaps your friends here won't appreciate your choice, considering their unaddressed safety-of-flight issue.

Last edited:
If your talking about the oil separator/vacuum valve fiasco..
Until the past few days I did not realize this issue was as big as it appears to be and if it is that widespread, I would agree, it needs to be addressed!

And how might a socially responsible consumer encourage a vendor to sincerely address an existing problem?

Having been an early adopter frequently in the past, I have a deep and profound respect for successful old technology.

Dave

I have a pair coming

Has anyone received theirs yet, and can possibly tell me what is involved with the wiring?

Do they come with wire and connectors?

I would not have to ask if I were home with all my tools and building supplies, but out here where I am I need to order in wire etc if needed.

Randall in Carlsbad NM
Built RV7A and went through 4 Subes...
New to me RV6A with all very standard stuff in it:)

Tell them it's for a "three-wheeled off-road vehicle" ;)

Sure looks promising and...

I hope the field trials are successful. One very small suggestion though; get the Sham-Wow guy to do your videos.

I'm confused

I hear you Dan...in my case I was a little slow realizing the issue was as widespread as it is. Not been following closely, my bad!

... Considering the fact that I have been marketing this product, and oil separators since 1970 and have literally thousands in use with no problems reported. I think perhaps "wide spread" might be somewhat strong or misleading. I have been contacted by three people (all in the last two years) telling us of a problem they encountered. Two were coking problems, both of these, on RV-10s. We contacted our dealers, posted this issue ourselves on all the experimental forums, thus making people aware of a potential problem and telling them how to verify that they weren't effected. Everyone reported that the problem was non existent on their installation. Because of this potential problem, I am stopping sales of the vacuum systems for the RV-10s until we can determine through more testing the cause on the two reported coking issues. The other issue was with one of the valves, where it had came loose inside where riveted together and parts began to rattle. This was addressed by going to a more robust / expensive valve assembly on subsequent units. I hardly think our actions makes us appear irresponsible in any way. Also I don't believe these people with this "wide spread" issue would make some uninvolved third party aware of it and neglect contacting the manufacturer so it could be addressed and remedied. If these people are out there? Please, contact us immediately so we can help you. We stand behind all of our products and services 100% and strive to offer the most exemplary customer service humanly possible. Contact me personally if you find this not the case. :confused: Thanks, Allan

Back