What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sikaflex Canopy - variation ?

ratc

Well Known Member
Here is a variation on a theme.
Some years ago I used Sikaflex to "bond" my canopy to the frame. Having not done anything further to my project due to other commitments it's time to pick up the pieces so to speak. Firstly, I have to attach the side skins. Obviously using Sikaflex I would have a minimum 1/8" bond between the canopy and side skins. Here is the variation which I have been mulling over for quiet some time.............4 years !

Has anyone used PRC (original, not proseal) for this final stage ?

1. It takes paint very well which I seem to think Sikaflex doesn't having spoken to Steve Sampson at length.
2. Preparation and application is not (as) critical.
3. I can use a smaller bond gap.

Yes, I know PRC can be more difficult to work with in terms of keeping it OFF other components BUT would it work in this application to complete the final stage of what effectively is a Canopy frame, canopy, side skin sandwich?

Would it be as strong and have the same longevity as Sikaflex ?

All comments and observations gratefully considered.

I used SIKA with no spacer between the plexiglass canopy and the fiberglass skirt on my RV-8, no problem so far...its been several years.
I did use spacers between the canopy frame and the Plexiglass canopy.

What I did

I used the "pop" rivets in my -4 but bonded it with PRC first using the pop rivet holes to cleco together the tubeframe/canopy/skirt until bond of PRC was cured. I then removed clecos,and installed the pops "wet" with PRC to get a good tight seat. I work with PRC and Proseal daily in the heavy aircraft industry, and to clarify, they are fairly identical,just trade name differences. The -4 canopy/skirt would be a challenge to get fit with only a bond process due to the aluminum skirts not seating without the clamping of the clecos. PRC will last forever, and I would put it up against most any adhesive.

Sikaflex vs PRC

Just to clarify, I would be effectively running a bead around the canopy between the side skins but using PRC rather than Sikaflex.

I figured that if I can get a very tight fit of the skirt around the canopy using the cleco's whilst the PRC is still "wet" I'll rivet the skins to the main canopy frame at the sides in the usual manner.

Fixnflyguy, judging by your final comment regarding PRC longevity I feel like it could be a viable option, thank you.

Back