What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cummins spinner on Catto prop.

AX-O

Well Known Member
This is a thread to document the process of making a Cummins spinner fit the profile of Catto props.

I received the Cummins spinners today from Australia. The hopes are to set up a 2 and a 3 blade configuration for future customers. My initial impressions of the spinner were:

1) This thing is way more sturdy than the fiberglass one.
2) The walls are thicker than what I expected.
3) Man this would look nice polished.

From a conversation with Allan he told me that the spinner would need to have the cut outs flared for strength. From looking at the spinner I would not think that was necessary. The one from Vans is not as sturdy and it does not have a flare. But there is a reason I don't make spinners. I don't know. Allan can you talk to the reason?

Below are some very infant pictures.

IMG_2471.JPG

IMG_2472.JPG

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2476.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

That is one ice looking spinner. You are right, polishing is what is is calling out for. Your plane is looking nice too.

Looks awesome Axel, can't wait to see the finished product.

As someone who went through the polishing process with Allan, 2 hours invested makes a huge difference and is well worth the effort.

Cheers

I spoke with Nicole at Catto props today. We (the Ravens) will be flying at their open house at the end of the month. After that, Nicole will help me mark up the spinners with the current 2 and 3 blade template.

After that, Nicole will help me mark up the spinners with the current 2 and 3 blade template.

AX-O, will you're two blade template be for the new, thinner hub props, or the previous 4-3/8" hub? (Mine was mfg'd January 2013 and has 4-3/8" I believe... I Heard the newest props are thinner???)

AX-O, will you're two blade template be for the new, thinner hub props, or the previous 4-3/8" hub? (Mine was mfg'd January 2013 and has 4-3/8" I believe... I Heard the newest props are thinner???)

Both the 2 and 3 blade spinners will be set up for the thinner blades.

I went to Catto's open house today. I was planing on having the spinners marked up but doing that takes 45 to 60 minutes each and he was busy hosting. I left both spinners with Craig to get marked up.

He really liked the spinners and thought it would be a cool set up for his props. He likes the fact that the cutouts for the blades would be rolled. He also told me that the thickness of the props will not change again.

Once the spinners are in my hands, i will update you guys again.

Thanks Axel,

Really looking forward to getting the spinners back and making them available to the members.

I went to Catto's open house today. I was planing on having the spinners marked up but doing that takes 45 to 60 minutes each and he was busy hosting. I left both spinners with Craig to get marked up.

He really liked the spinners and thought it would be a cool set up for his props. He likes the fact that the cutouts for the blades would be rolled. He also told me that the thickness of the props will not change again.

Once the spinners are in my hands, i will update you guys again.

Cheers
Allan

Cummins/Catto combo update?

Axel/Allan,
Any update on your progress ?
Any idea of the weight difference between the aluminium and fibreglass?
With such a large moment even a few ounces should help significantly bringing the C of G forward ! :)

I am still waiting on Craig to mark the spinners.

I spoke with Allan about this and I may have to pick them up soon and look for another way of marking them.

I will post when I get more info. Thanks.

Axel,
Thank you for the update.
Do you know yet how the purchasing of the spinner will work?
A "package" from Craig, Propeller, Cummins Spinner and Sabre Spacer ?
Or, separate items direct from the manufacturer?
I'm holding off as you suggested, just in case there are further developments in the propeller. That said, I'm sure there would be a lot of builders interested in a complete "package" from Craig.
Thanks for the great work.

I am still waiting on Craig to mark the spinners.

I spoke with Allan about this and I may have to pick them up soon and look for another way of marking them.

I will post when I get more info. Thanks.

As am I, I know there are several waiting on this Spinner for our 3 blades, seems Catto has no interest in helping with this project. They have templets available to send with their Props for marking and cutting your own. Im waiting because I prefer the Rolled edges from Allen. I'll be mounting mine in about 90 days and would like everything in hand when the time comes.
Any ideas to move forward on this ?
Thanks

How to get the correct screw positions video

Hello

I have also a Cummins spinner, mine is made for the sensenich metall FP (320).

The screw holes I have to do myself. I was allready thinking about how to do this. Then I found this video from Allan/Cummins Spiner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUn_D6KFvO0

I will do this soon.

Catto Spinners

As am I, I know there are several waiting on this Spinner for our 3 blades, seems Catto has no interest in helping with this project. They have templets available to send with their Props for marking and cutting your own. Im waiting because I prefer the Rolled edges from Allen. I'll be mounting mine in about 90 days and would like everything in hand when the time comes.
Any ideas to move forward on this ?
Thanks

Hi
I am a bit disappointed that Catto has shown no interest but enough is enough
In the new year I will get the spinner out there, over the next few weeks I will be working with Axel and others to get the profile made etc. also the web site is down and I am trying to rebuild it too.
Merry Christmas to all and 2015 will a Catto year
Cheers
Allan

More videos?

Hello Allen

Hey, it would be great to get more parts of your cool videos! Especially more information about this:

- How to align the spinner and drill the final holes. So that it is running perfectly round.
- How to polish a spinner.
- How to do the cutout for the propellot and especially the flanges.

I will help with the install of a brand new Catto propeller after christmas. I can take a sample pattern. The spinner (Vans composite) was cut out by Catto.

Merry Christmas!

I have talked to Allan. If nothing happens with them after the holidays, i am going to pick them up, and mock up the work on my planes.

Please understand that this is a favor that the community is asking Craig to do. He has a business to run and this is not his priority even though many of us would benefit from it.

I also understand that Allan has a business to run, thats why i told him i would bring them back to my shop and work on them.

AC,

Did you ever find out about the cutout flanges? Required for strength? OK without? Perhaps the extra weight of the metal over glass adds forces during rotation that require the flanges, or just working the metal into a spinner shape changes the structure enough to need them. Just wondering what you found out.

The Lyc metal spinner I used to run had the cutout flanges. Interestingly, I developed fatigue cracks over time, and went to a stock Vans...all good so far. The polished spinner you have looks great, would be interesting to see if a metal spinner can be used with flush cutouts.

Cheers,
Bob

if you are waiting on Craig to make a move... well you can keep waiting. I actually waited years for replacement of a defective prop with a lot of unanswered emails and phone calls. And I was proactive trying to help. Very Sad. :(

Last edited:
Did you ever find out about the cutout flanges? Required for strength? OK without?
Bob

Allan said it was required. So i did not ask any further. After all, He is the spinner guy. I am sure he can elaborate.

Break

No need to bash anyone. One way or another it will get done and folks will benefit from the prop spinner combo in the future.

Any news on this front? Looking to finish up in the next 6 months and this is high on my get-it list. Thanks for taking this on Axel and Allan!

The spinners are supposed to be mailed to me from Catto. Waiting on that. I also purchased some bulkheads to do the fitting on my plane. Once I get that done, I am sending them to Allan.

Cummins/Catto combo update?

Axel, I know you will be working hard on this combo - Any updates ?

I add my thanks to you for your hard work on what could be a winning combination !

Got a sample peice for the 2 blade from Allan a few weeks ago. He is making a change to the template. Should have another test piece soon. The rolled edges looked nice.

cummins/Catto combo update?

Axel, Brilliant news, thank you !
I suspect you'll post pictures when the final spinner design is complete ?

Axel, Brilliant news, thank you !
I suspect you'll post pictures when the final spinner design is complete ?

Yes. Allan is working on the 3 blade version. I am expecting the new 2 blade version and the 1st 3 blade version soon. The time line is much longer since the parts have to be mailed from Australia to the U.S.

Your spinner is going to look awesome! Is this the only source for an alluminum spinner for the Catto?

Catto + Cummins Aluminium Spinner ?

Hi Axel,
Just ordered my Catto 2 blade prop for the -4 ! The only thing I didn't request was their spinner, any updates on the Cummins/Catto solution ?

Catto/Cummins Spinner Updates ?

Nothing heard regarding the Catto/Cummins spinner combination. I tried to call and email Allan with no success !
Axel or Allan, do you have any more updates please ?

I've ordered a Catto 2 blade propeller and Nicole just informed me that it should be here in about 6 weeks, an aluminium spinner would be a superb addition !

Any information would be gratefully received.

All,
I worked with Allan and Craig to get this combo going. I provided Allan a template for the 2 and 3 bladed prop. Allan sent me an aluminum cut out piece with the rolled edge back in Apr and he decided to make a small change based on how the trial cutout fit. He was supposed to send me another trial piece but I have not heard back. I am sure he is busy. I also had some unfortunate life events and still dealing with my oil temps.

Cummins/Catto Spinner En-route !

Axel/Allan, great work, thank you for your efforts it seems all has paid off since the spinners are now in production !
My Cummins/Catto aluminium spinner is complete and hopefully en-route to the UK.
Final question AX-O, which spinner "front plate" did you find worked best with the "current" Catto design propeller ? Mine is only a couple of months old !

Get the one from vans. Craig can send you one with the prop.

Break

The 3 blade trial spinner should be here soon. Allan sent it last week.

I am glad this combo is available. Should make a lot of people happy.

Spinner frontplate ?

Hi Axel,
Prop has already arrived, spinner is en-route.
I've already got the S-605 front plate which is 10 7/8 " diameter. However it looks like the S-605 SEN which has a slightly larger is the one I need !
If able could you confirm either the part no. or the diameter ?
Brilliant job in getting this combo together, thanks.

Cummins/Catto 2 blade spinner !

Allan, my spinner arrived today, thank you !
It is indeed a work of art.
For the standard FP -13 spinner Nicole at Catto confirmed that the S-605 is the correct forward bulkhead for their current propeller !
Brilliant work Allan/ Axel, totally complimentary to my Catto 2 blade prop.
Can't wait till I'm sat behind such a lovely combination.

pictures ?

Axel, let me see what I can sort out ............never posted a picture.

Cummins/Catto 2 blade Spinner !

Axel,
Here it is !
I fear the orientation may not be the best.
Sorry my picture did not appear. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Picture size !

Sorry for the size of the picture still getting to grips with this stuff !

cummins/Catto 2 Blade Spinner

Bret, Not sure, however, they do look superb !
Perhaps Allan would enlighten us ?

For Catto 3 blade

Have been e-mailing Cummins several times in the past 5 months requesting info for the 3 blade Catto with no response..... (crickets)

Has anyone took delivery of a spinner for this particular application ?

We purchased one from them several years ago for the fixed sensenich and the transaction went beautifully.

I would buy a blank spinner and cut it myself but cant get any response from them.

Thanks
J

Back