What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

4 into 1 Exhaust (RV-4) !

ratc

Well Known Member
A BIG ask............?

For those, if any, RV-4 builders, (operators) who have a Carb/Rotec TBI,
0-320 with a 4 into 1 exhaust.
I'm looking for any available dimensional/geometric information.

I've got the engine but not yet fitted the engine mount. I have found a race exhaust shop that will build the system however, I will not be able to move the whole fuselage with engine fitted, of course this would be my gold plated solution.

I can take some/most/all of the dimensions from my project as it stands, but comparison info. would be most welcome to QC my own design.

Any inputs gratefully considered.

Thanks in advance.

RV-4 (4 into 1)

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the input. I've already spoken to Eric at AWI. Although they make a system for the 0-320 it's not for the -4 application (!).

What I'm looking for is RV-4 specific dimensions. As a solution, I could fabricate a "dummy" firewall to give the maker a template, no big deal but it would be helpful if someone has a -4 with this type of exhaust fitted, assisting the trial and error process.

Additionally, has anyone used a single muff that could be used for Carb. heat AND/OR cabin heat ?

Open to any information or suggestions.

Hi Andy

Fitted an IO-320 to an RV-3 with a (SD) 4-1, and in fact ran engine / exhaust installed for the first time on Friday :D

Not identical to an RV-4, but as near as you get?

It is a tight fit, and as much as firewall, it is engine mount and cowling that will cause issue. Ours went back for "remodelling" and now 3 pipes run inside the intake pipes :eek:

Much as a race-shop sounds good (and we have used certain race shop parts / techniques), I would be reluctant for the exhaust - I am sure there are various differences in engines and environment, and a track record of Lycoming GA types I would favour.

Give me a bell if you need any more info 07802-737150

Rv-4 (4 into 1)

Andy, thanks for the useful info and contact number, I may well use it !

As an aside, did you use a heated seat system or oil cooler pick off for the cockpit heating ? I would think that a muffler of any size would be impossible.

For the 4 pipe guy's, what are you using as a carb./cabin heat source? I doubt there would be space on that system for a muffler either !

Brilliant, thanks Andy !

Do you have any pictures of your system you could send me ?

PM sent.

Back