What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Setting up F-404, F-407, and F-414,F415

chris mitchell

Well Known Member
I'm struggling here to get this area of the fuselage sorted. The seat ribs don't insert cleanly into the recesses on the bulkheads and need a bit of cutting, filing. That's OK, I have learned not to do anything without a lot of thought. My problem is that I cannot see a detail on how to make the joints around the bits of angle that run across the F-404 (spar box). Should I cut them away, joggle them or what?

Also any thoughts on how to put this area together accurately will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

I think this may assist

Hi,

If your question relates to how the 2 pieces of angle intersect the spar box former ( apologies I dont have my plans handy, so I cant quote part No's) here's what i did. The 2 red arrows indicate where i notched the angle to accomodate the thickness of the former. Hope this helps, if not let me know and I may have another picture.

My builders manual addresses your question on page 8-35. If you have one I am sure you've read it. If you would like to see what I have I could send a copy. I completed my four about two years ago. It is a great airplane. One mistake I made in that area was not setting the angle of the 404 bulkhead to insure the bottom of the wing sits flush with the bottom of the fuselage. Probably cosmetic more than anything but I got it right the second time. Good Luck.

Thanks - I don't have a page 8-35. The section stops at page 8-12??!! I've read and reread the whole of section 8 and can't see anything relevant!
I understand about riveting the ends of floor and seat webs to the angles on F404.
Thanks

Chris

closer look !

Hi Chris,
My BIG move is now complete and after 4 years of no progress my -4 is in it's new workshop.
Feel free to pop up and take a look any time.

If you want to see page 3-35 of the manual, send me an email address and I will get it to you. I believe it does address your question.

I too installed flop tubes in both tanks. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It works fine but was unnecessary.

Back