What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My new Aluminium Spinner

eddieseve

Well Known Member
I finally decided to upgrade my fibre glass spinner to an aluminium spinner from Cummins Spinners (Allan is an advertiser on this site).

Last Easter Monday I flew into Bendigo airport Allan’s home base, his workshop is also located at the airport and makes flying in really convenient.

I went through the steps of fitting my new spinner with Allan’s help which sped things up a little even though the installation process is very straight forward.

The spinner is sold as a kit that you install yourself; all up it takes about 4 hours and starts with removing your prop, drilling the spinner to match new front and back plates, installing nut plates and finally reinstalling your new spinner onto your aircraft.

I also wanted to have a highly polished finish, so Allan gave me a quick lesson in polishing, the end result is just amazing, but for the uninitiated takes about 2 hours.

Me polishing;
ny7b4l.jpg

The finished result;
s1q9fm.jpg

Fitted to my RV7;
2hp4ym9.jpg

Head on shot;
fbg4zl.jpg

Heading home, I need to invest in a straight prop next :)
2z4wf4p.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
Yep I always have that problem, seems to sag over night and straightens up once the heat gets into it ;-)

Cheers

FP-13 replacement?

If only Allan had a kit available to replace the standard FP-13 kit which Vans supplies for those users of Fixed pitch propellers !

Any thoughts?

Hi Andy,

From what I understand, Allan has just finished developing spinners to suite Sensenich and Hartzel, he also caters for a huge range of props to suite LSA's and Ultralights.

Having spoken to him last weekend, I know that he is in the process of developing spinners for the Cato series of propellers.

He has currently created a template for the Cato 3 blade but still needs to create a template for the 2 blade Cato.

I am really not sure about other less common props and the cost of developing one off spinners.

Perhaps I'll send Allan an email and prompt him to comment on your questions directly.

if you have never seen the process, have a look at this, the metal plug that is used to form a spinner needs to be accurately cast which I imagine carries quite a cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrTDBW6q7Xg

Cheers

If only Allan had a kit available to replace the standard FP-13 kit which Vans supplies for those users of Fixed pitch propellers !

Any thoughts?

Sensenich has a aluminum spinner kit for Vans airplanes, I had one on my 8
and I also have one from Allan for my 10.

I also bought the Cummins spinner for the Hartzell CS prop.

I am currently mounting my cowl, so I put the spinner on to see what it looked like.

I will eventually polish it after I get it drilled.

It comes with the prop cutouts already done and it fits very well.

DSCN0283_zps2925df74.jpg

DSCN0286_zpse0afa5a6.jpg

Catto 2 blade spinner please !

Eddie, thank you for your response.
A Cummins aluminium spinner for a Catto 2 blade propeller would be everything I need........... !
Not quiet ready yet but it's all about getting your ducks in a row.
I look forward to the definitive reply when available.
Thanks again.

Hi Taildrgr,

Your going to be very happy once you get it fitted and polished, although I have to say it's looking great already, nice work on the cowl too.

I also bought the Cummins spinner for the Hartzell CS prop.

I am currently mounting my cowl, so I put the spinner on to see what it looked like.

I will eventually polish it after I get it drilled.

It comes with the prop cutouts already done and it fits very well.

DSCN0283_zps2925df74.jpg

DSCN0286_zpse0afa5a6.jpg

If you have never seen the process, have a look at this, the metal plug that is used to form a spinner needs to be accurately cast which I imagine carries quite a cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrTDBW6q7Xg

Cheers

That's an AMAZING video! I've been around shop tools and handyman projects my entire life, but I've never seen or even heard of metal spinning like this before. It really gives you an appreciation for the art and skill involved. I know I won't be making my own spinner anytime soon. Everyone should watch this.

Any thoughts?

Hi All.

The spinner fitted to Eddies RV is the new spinner cone for the FP Sensenich propellers (Alum)

The cone comes with the cut outs done, you use the backplate, frontplate and hardware supplied by Vans for use with their fibre glass spinners

I have cones ready to ship price'd at $360 USD including shipping for the Sensenich Alum FP propellers

Cheers from down under

Last edited:
WOW, that video makes the process look like a manly process with true artisan skill. Impressive.

Hi Bruce and Bill,

Yes it's amazing to watch, also gives you an appreciation for the amount of work involved in making a spinner, once I saw this it made the price seem very very reasonable.

That's an AMAZING video! I've been around shop tools and handyman projects my entire life, but I've never seen or even heard of metal spinning like this before. It really gives you an appreciation for the art and skill involved. I know I won't be making my own spinner anytime soon. Everyone should watch this.

For anyone interested in doing there own polishing this is what we used;

The polishing machine is a 8" Bench grinder

First wheel is stitched cotton 8" x 1"

Polishing compound was BROWN/TRIPOLI BAR

Second wheel was loose calico 8" x 1"

Polishing compound was Green/Stainless Steel Buffing

Final cleaning by hand with Silvo Silver Polish

Cheers

Hi Bill

Thanks for your enquiry, but due to the complexity of the front and back plate of the wirlwind propellers we are currently not looking at supporting this range of propellers at the moment.

However if you could get wirlwind to supply us with an example of the current back and front plate we could look into this for you.

Very nice. Have any for the Whirlwinds?

Cheers

Catto + Cummins Aluminium Spinner ?

Hi Allan,
Any updates on the Cummins/Catto 2 blade propeller aluminium spinner ? Direct email sent.
I know Axel has been working hard with you to get things moving !
I assume we will still need Back and Front plates, plus the hardware from vans, would that be the FP13 kit ?
Having neither of the above, has anyone got the plates and hardware that they would be willing to sell ?

Looks great!

My Warrior has a polished aluminum spinner, and I'd love for my -10 to have one when I get done with it!

catto + Cummins Aluminium Spinner ?

Bevan, I doubt there would be a weight saving, in fact for my application it would be better if it were heavier since I'd like to maintain a more forward C of G on my -4!
I'm sure Allan/Axel will chip in when they get the time, they have both been collaborating to make this happen for the benefit of those using the Cummins/Catto combination - Thank you !

Back