What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

In-home builder assist?

RobinHou

Well Known Member
I have been working on my QB 7A for over 2 years already. I am progressing very slow. I know there are professional builder services that I can just drop off my kit with a big check, and a few months later, I can have a competed airplane. I want to finish faster but cannot accept the idea of not being involved in the built. Working long hours every day does not allow me to visit the builder service to stay involved.

I am thinking hiring an assistant to come to my home a few hours a week. That way, instead of 2 hours per day, maybe I can get 4 to 6 hours worth of work done every day.

Has anyone done this? If so, what is your experience? Would you do it again?

Thanks in advance,

Robin Hou

I want to hear the answers too!!!

I have been on and off mine for 5 now, although I can see a small light at the end of, what I think, is my tunnel starting to grow....

I would like to hear what others have to say about this.

Greg

This sounds like a good job for a college student, especially a veteran.

And it really, really was, back when I was working my way through aero engineering school. I was building an airplane kit for a guy. That and the VA benefits put me through the last couple years of college.

You'll have to be flexible with when the student works, and this will take a lot of trust. You might need to teach the student how to do tasks. You'll have to work out what to do if the student ruins something. There might be some required interaction with the college (there wasn't in my case). And there might be tax and safety rules, perhaps even worker's compensation insurance rules that affect you.

It's still a good idea.

Dave

By the time you teach inexperinced help and then watch over them and correct mistakes which could be alot you will spend more time than if you did not have help. I have tried several times and it has not work for me.

I think this help might potentially come from a friend in your local EAA chapter. Chances are that this person has already built a plane so he can not only provide another set of hands (to double your work output) but also some mentorship (to increase the quality).

I have at least one local builder that I visit as a Tech Counselor that has made friends with an A&P (who works for a local airline) who has become his partner and mentor. I don't know if any money changes hands, but this mentor/student relationship is, to me, a great model for builders with no background in aircraft maintenance or construction. It is far different form the "drop the kit off and have it built" model which, of course, does not meet the letter of the FAR's.....

Paul

Last edited:
The builder's coach.

Steve Barnes, names himself "The Builder's coach", is up in northern California. He'll most likely come down and help.

Best,

I have been working on my QB 7A for over 2 years already. I am progressing very slow. I know there are professional builder services that I can just drop off my kit with a big check, and a few months later, I can have a competed airplane. I want to finish faster but cannot accept the idea of not being involved in the built. Working long hours every day does not allow me to visit the builder service to stay involved.

I am thinking hiring an assistant to come to my home a few hours a week. That way, instead of 2 hours per day, maybe I can get 4 to 6 hours worth of work done every day.

Has anyone done this? If so, what is your experience? Would you do it again?

Thanks in advance,

Robin Hou

4 to 6 hours per day would be a dream...but getting *something* done every day is key.

I work near you...check your PMs.

I teach math at Mt. San Antonio College. We have a very well equipped aviation shop. I'm sure you could find an A/P student who could help. Heck, the shop even has an old RV (i think a -7) that they practice on. Having said that, I think Jerry is right that an inexperienced person would be more hassle than its worth.

Find someone who has built before

I would try to find someone who has built before. I can already see where I will be wanting to build again when I get my RV-10 done, but probably won't be able to afford to build again soon. I would love to help someone nearby build for a nominal amount. I would come and help occasionally just to mentor, but a nominal pay would allow more consistant work.

Back