What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fluting Techniques

Use both

Chris,

I am using the same pliers. I found the wider pliers are easier to control and used them on almost all of the ribs. I switched to the narrow pliers for the two ribs on either side of the tank since the rivet holes are closer together. You want to keep the flutes away from the holes so the dimple dies won't flatten out the flutes and bow the ribs.

Brian

I did not realize there are so many different fluting tools available. With several design choices out there, making an informed purchasing decision can be confusing. I am only familiar with the common type of fluting pliers Cleaveland and Avery typically sell. After becoming comfortable with what really needs to be done to straighten out any rib or bulkhead, I considered it a personally inefficient waste of time if it took me much more than a single minute to effectively flute any rib, however warped:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=207970&postcount=1

Notice in Rick's post link above how the pliers in the photo leave nice tight flutes in between the rivet holes, and flat spots for the ribs to contact the skin at each rivet? Notice the wide flutes in the photo links to the other pliers? The goal here is to flatten the rib in as efficient way as possible and keep the flange exactly 90 degrees to the web (hand seamer used to do this). Any bumps and sways in the rib flange will be seen in the finished skin. When the skin is riveted down to a surface that is not 90 degrees or is not a smooth curve, the skin will not appear smooth.

--

After messing with homebuilt aircraft for over 45 years, I have ended up with three different fluting pliers -- a wide fluter with rubber tips, a narrow all-steel fluter, and the modified Vice Grip kind. After fluting many a rib and bulkhead, I always prefer the modified Vice Grip kind. It makes a nice, tight flute, that is repeatable and consistent, yet you can easily vary the depth of the flute to suit your needs. After you have fluted one or two ribs, it is pretty easy to do them by eye -- kind of a Zen thing. The ribs don't have to be perfectly straight -- they still retain quite a lot of flexibility for final fitting and riveting.

-- David

Thanks Rick! I had actually read your thread a few days ago. It brought some great insight. I fluted all 54 tank/wing ribs today in 3.5 hrs. Not as fast as you but quicker than what I did with the ribs for the epennage, as well as some of the other builders whose build logs I have been using :D

Cheers

Chris

Has anyone on here ever made fluting dies for a squeezer?

Yikes, what are you trying to flute?
My fluting tool is an old pair of pliers with some rounded-end nails welded on and polished. I've never seen a better tool for this job. Light, fast, and make nice tight flutes.

Just wondering about another way to take it easy on my paws. Before I got a pneumatic cleco tool I'd sometimes wake up with puffy hands. Any repetitive or extra-hard squeezing is bad. If I play guitar too hard it makes my thumb numb. As I get older, I'm losing patience with injuries. Don't like to waste time healing.

Has anyone on here ever made fluting dies for a squeezer?

I actually have a proof of concept set for a squeezer. Too clumsy when the pliers are easy to use. Takes a bit of technique to squeeze the right amount with the squeezer as well. If there is enough interest we will make them.

Note there is a little spring wire that inserts through the back of each that keeps them aligned and encourages them to stay in the yoke/ram when opened.

AhTIOPxCMAA0gBF.jpg

-

Last edited:
2j3o0uw.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

Hi, New here but not new to RVs, 3 6s, 3 8s an F1 (IO550), Pitts S1S and a few more. I made my own fluting pliers by welding and grinding on a regular set of pliers from Sears. Have worked great for years and give a nice round flute as good as the pros. Have tried to attach two pics hope they work.
Jerry

Hi, New here but not new to RVs, 3 6s, 3 8s an F1 (IO550), Pitts S1S and a few more.

Welcome, Jerry! With your kind of history, it will be really great to have your experience added to the collective wisdom of the group here.

Hope you hang around!

--
Stephen

Back