What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowrance Airmap 2000c

pilot44

I'm New Here
I have a perfectly good unit in my plane and have had for a bunch of years. I typically upgrade the data base about once a year when I am approaching a long cross country trip. My last update was in October of 2010. I have gone on LEI-Extras, as I did in October, to order my upgrade and can't find how to now do so. Somewhere I got wind there may be a problem with new data bases since Lowrance has failed to remain in the aviation gps business. Anyone have any recent information or suggestions short of spending a bunch of $$ to go to a Garmin unit?

Last UpDate

I may have gotten one of the last updates from Lowrance a couple of weeks ago. The one I got from them works fine.

I have a perfectly good unit in my plane and have had for a bunch of years. I typically upgrade the data base about once a year when I am approaching a long cross country trip. My last update was in October of 2010. I have gone on LEI-Extras, as I did in October, to order my upgrade and can't find how to now do so. Somewhere I got wind there may be a problem with new data bases since Lowrance has failed to remain in the aviation gps business. Anyone have any recent information or suggestions short of spending a bunch of $$ to go to a Garmin unit?

Here's everything you want to know about upgrades.
I received mine a few months ago & it looks good except it does not include private airports. Although it didn't in the past.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=61205&highlight=2000c

Frank, here is what you really want to know............

Updates are no longer available........................ end of story.

ps.... this is still a great unit.

Last edited:
I talked to Lowrance in Tulsa this morning & was told that as long as Mr. Lowrance, a pilot, was involved, he supported the aviation department. Now that he is no longer there the company has chosen not to remain in the aviation gps business. They are going to remain in the marine market. They do not support the Airmap anymore & referred me to Jeppesen regarding database updates. I called Jeppesen and was told they too no longer provide database updates for the Airmap gps's. The person "thinks" they ceased doing so around the first of 2011. It would appear we will no longer be able to do updates. We can use what we have until the unit dies or we don't choose to use the last update we have. I now have two gps's in my plane (also a Magellan panel mounted unit) that both work great, but cannot be updated. :confused: Looks like Garmin helped kill off another competitor. I have a Garmin unit in my vehicle that is OK so one of these days I will have to consider one for my plane.

I enjoyed my (3) Lowrance units

but when they got out of the aviation business, I switched my portables to the True Flight Flight Cheetah, and then to the iFly 700 and now have the iFly 700 and an iPad ---- for the cost of the units and cost of updates, I would never own a Garmin portable.

but when they got out of the aviation business, I switched my portables to the True Flight Flight Cheetah, and then to the iFly 700 and now have the iFly 700 and an iPad ---- for the cost of the units and cost of updates, I would never own a Garmin portable.

From what I've read, my Garmin 696 still beats the products you've listed..............for it's intended purpose. One thing for sure.........is that it's a much better product than my Lowrance 600c and a friends Lowrance 2000. It is my 7th Garmin portable. Five aviation & two for the vehicles. :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

No Joy

I just got off of the phone with Lowrance about my Airmap 1000 that will not acquire satellites. I was told that the GPS engine in the unit filed and that they no longer offer service for these items. So, no further database updates, no service. I hate that because these were nice units and were a value in the market place. Now mine is a boat anchor (and not a very good one of those.)

2000c database

Hey N42AH or Dan Landry, any way you can upload the most the current database update file(s) for the 2000c to a site where other 2000c owners can download it since Lowrance will no longer offer it? If not are you willing to email it or copy to a CD and mail it if I send you a disk and my address...would be a big help to all of us?
Thanks
Bob

Hey N42AH or Dan Landry, any way you can upload the most the current database update file(s) for the 2000c to a site where other 2000c owners can download it since Lowrance will no longer offer it? If not are you willing to email it or copy to a CD and mail it if I send you a disk and my address...would be a big help to all of us?
Thanks
Bob

Seems to me that there was some security built into it.
I can try it.
Give me a few days & I will get back to VAF.

Thanks
Bob

Since the database & product is no longer supported...
Bob send me a PM and I'll get you the test ;) data.

will do Dan...just give me a few to figure out how to send u the PM.
Thanks again for the reply, I have a few ideas about the database.
Bob

As a fan of the Lowrance unit I'd sure welcome the ability to get a current update. Like many users I only updated once or twice a year. But now the potential for zero updates has put a frown on my face, especially since there's a big hole in my panel where the Lowrance goes!

I can try it.
Give me a few days & I will get back to VAF.

Update.
I attempted to upload the files to my website to make it available for download but the zip file was too large and timed out.
I'll need to break it up into smaller pieces.
Will let everyone know once I can get back to it. It may be a couple days.

Secure Digital is the SD in SD Card

Basically the files bind with the serial number on the card. You'll be able to copy the files to another card, but they will not work on the new card.

Can't Make It Work

Basically the files bind with the serial number on the card. You'll be able to copy the files to another card, but they will not work on the new card.

This is exactly what I found when I tried to copy to a new SD card and try to make it work. It copied just fine, but failed to be recognized.

Sorry Guys

im trying

Hey all...just waiting for dan to get back to me....i think i have a solution but it requires someone that has the most recent update to copy their card. im hoping dan has some free time to help me with it. if anyone else would like to work on it with me who has the latest card update im confident i can help us all. give me a pm if you do and we can get started, ill send step by step instructions on how to do it and ill take it from there.
thanks
bob

lowrance 2000c
private pilot
rv owner

Hey all...just waiting for dan to get back to me....i think i have a solution but it requires someone that has the most recent update to copy their card. im hoping dan has some free time to help me with it. if anyone else would like to work on it with me who has the latest card update im confident i can help us all. give me a pm if you do and we can get started, ill send step by step instructions on how to do it and ill take it from there.
thanks
bob

lowrance 2000c
private pilot
rv owner

sent you a PM

sorry dan i tried messaging you but i dont know if went through.
can u send me an email to [email protected] so i can communicate easier.
thanks
bob

Hate to resurrect such an old thread, but did you ever figure out how to update at least to the 2011? I'd be mighty interested for some assist if you did (and will gladly compensate with a case of craft beer...)

Back