Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2021, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty View Post
When reading the left side of figures 3 & 4, is there an assumption that the part is sitting flat with the angled portion of the part extending toward you? I can't see any cues on the drawing that makes that certain, but I'm no engineer, I don't know if this is always an assumption or something.

You could also be looking at the part from the flat side with the angle extending away from you, which in this case, would matter since the part isn't symmetrical.

I'm just curious if I'm missing something, whether it is on the drawing, or a convention I'm not aware of.
Looking at the drawing in the upper left, I believe the second horizontal line down would be dashed if the long arm of the angle was pointed away from you.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:48 AM

Default My experience

My day job (big jets) heavy structural overhaul has had me deep into drawings for the last 40 plus years, so much, I did several years in the engineering group. Typically, the production drawings are only for the L/H side, and standard notes the say "R/H opposite". It takes a while to learn working that way, because unless the R/H side has major unsymmetrical difference, there is no drawing for it. VANS drawings are really pretty darn good to work with, even the Jurassic's like the -4 (what I built) are superior to some experimentals I have seen. many production aircraft drawings don't even have dimensions anymore, and the drawing is superimposed over 10" grid blocks which have to be used as a measuring point for actual size..PITA for reproducing parts from them. In production, there is a CAD program that goes to automation. Fortunately, VANs puts all the dimensions in for us !I always encourage builders to look at every drawing of next higher assembly before starting to cut a piece, as to be sure they fully understand hidden or invisible elements of their orientation.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnflyguy View Post
Fortunately, VANs puts all the dimensions in for us !
Maybe on the 3-4-6, but certainly not on the 7. More like illustrations for assembly. Usable only for required work, but not complete for my 45 yrs of looking at engineering drawings with datums, tolerance, radii . . etc.

It is not exactly how to read the drawing but understanding how that drawing was constructed (by hand of course), then one can not forget it.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.