What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Capabilities for G5 based Systems, July 2019

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hello,

Today Garmin announced new capabilities for G5 systems including the addition of the GAD 13 OAT probe interface to support the display of Outside Air Temperature (OAT), True Airspeed (TAS), and Density Altitude for single or dual G5 installations.

Additionally, G5 single/dual installations may now be installed with one or more GDU 450 (7" landscape), GDU 460 (10.6" landscape), or GDU 470 (7" portrait) MFD displays and an optional GEA 24 engine interface for additional capabilities (provided by the MFD) such as engine monitoring, flight planning, display of ADS-B traffic/weather, and even COM radio tuning without adding a full G3X Touch system. You can even add a GTR 20 remote COM radio with 2 place stereo intercom and music support and tune this radio from the MFD.

The MFD in a G5 system interfaces with Garmin IFR navigators to show flight plans and instrument approaches just like a G3X Touch system. Standalone flight planning and GPS navigation is provided by the WAAS GPS receiver built into the MFD.

The G5 system with MFD can easily be expanded to become a G3X Touch system with PFD and additional ADAHRS units added later if desired.

The new GAD 13 OAT probe interface module is $495 list with a GTP 59 OAT probe and connector kit, or $149 for the bare GAD 13 without the OAT probe. Several 3rd party OAT probes are supported like the OAT probes typically installed on Garmin transponders.

The new software and hardware to add the GAD 13 and/or the MFD with engine monitoring will be available in August, 2019.

Thanks,
Steve

Emh5DclQdFi-91Bd0YMsKo7fcZRLL8mlqMfArJckTrtLUXb1TrELojwpbCgsVcf6Zpsz0JmJQ4qmo55Cc3dADjGWXbJvT5tMqfeoJAK-zoJzkZqPCxalu8jNQd67KGNYpLDw2dLaJv0evPZEQXRfPeYE7LIVHMOgrXP1SbHkmgPs1lI9QFmd3a4jyhJMZypqW5UpqJBgqzB1cmxVo8qK5EXJrgU0wd-uGYKO8c-djjJWLXF5alGlfzTeFckUoZI2fWlNIojfJSyi7Yri9I5ehclUFKdnwMq6QPui_vDbDIg6eRpdYXp4h3NQuF2EWX097rcAZIH2Kjj_tqpuBre6gib6Ad0bqf7_3KCy1IV46cpVj1slJl9dt2Yavtp1QfOpywCPiIP-Ijyr-jffIkgbyX71mQ2Mwpnt9VnVTl19R1xDMdsyhubOWEVZ5htKO4NSPWnC3P6AyRglo70Mf2rTSi3Cvh0SaAkiLgqLyUALg69xBRceoL4W3zDPB8WhRbQpq_1yAH9sJNUll7iLCiGRVqYbz51Dlk2fy_y1xe2Hc1M1Mt_UbnuZ1VCizafJHh_g4am7xBuNvj-DVwRf8jW7ykPkhZjmciwXONPPnabUKmmVIcW7QrEZS2q5Mv9Rdq3FVKzEulc1xtliJQDDPgg4VLeVWpS1UCsjWNIJfDP0ntqhjeCx7VralCkIukn8b81ar0wDohiwpWJeRO48vvlNJF8P3Be8KiHCe5bQ1NrETc3Lo2s=w640

GAD 13 OAT Probe Interface Module

WQSZ8LJaK9xdAlgADK1FR3frgetZUucHHwtIB5JYnvdhLMopdlIfCzoF3QUHkmyEk4YikEIHL0xKl_qZmBgc_IImi5mWUbbgrK5h-0rbGJ3WCjKMLl8-6-6tUglgG8MCYZT4Gszu-tupO_a-14BNkxojWDf8MBVwoNjd2aGI9YLVYBxKaHyzQce6CpSwh8FnHul3Q2Fjnj9JiSi65fiEkZY6BujJF-HpZSvwbdAHDDg4SEEm0wzCZPgP0KZ_ovmyBtjqU48aRe87o_7BVoysYHWbdBQB0d8vZNrzMomqJGByaIUha4gotDG1Gq0VT58QuZsq4j8mjXx3alNmZOvYgHhoG_zDuMwt9JQkKFmd6Zm3M_RwUoh9_AY5kCVJxPEL5HFeUDITFSJLWS6Osg2v5npGpPeLCDBkcfN2m3m9msqlIhc5VBthdhW1r_fVTHVzCHkftZft6RtsmcbOq-zcL1zBab-JMVdjrGRW6Gd2can9_uV3zqx7mHUiXnto0G74DQv-Cquhtxd5Z0RmhADnPH_l3gBp2IVrBVyWyB7nwiw7aHEVGmi0d4K0XOuBhPBdzbElSM4VeoAo4GVi2OJhtYfPQ2j0tVrLZR1IYsib3ZM0_uiuiohwLhLo8xbsoQ9HJa3xpnLVhoJJa14-ZpBKT21l-e6_2d1EjN2eEmsBpsyjfJoAA0uV9uJiQKEfFlT52VLesFVsYi3sEIv9JQoBC8m4CWCISbHSWOjY5L621xNgFwo=w180

Last edited:
My G5 is part of a complete Garmin system that includes a G3x touch and GTN, all connected through the CAN bus. Will the engine monitoring information be available with the software update? What other functionalities will this change?
Thanks as always for your endless support and imagination.

Display ADSB Traffic and WX

Am I reading this correctly...that the G5 will now be able display ADSB information? (WX and traffic)....and engine vital signs?? :)

My G5 is part of a complete Garmin system that includes a G3x touch and GTN, all connected through the CAN bus. Will the engine monitoring information be available with the software update? What other functionalities will this change?
Thanks as always for your endless support and imagination.
Hello Kaweeka,

Since you have a G3X Touch system, you already have a GEA 24 and a MFD which can display engine monitoring information. Nothing added here that affects your installation.

Thanks,
Steve

great news, I?ll sure get one!
Ordered my 2nd G5 (and GMU11) a couple of weeks ago, reading wind and TAS is something I?m looking forward to :cool:

Since you have a G3X Touch system, you already have a GEA 24 and a MFD which can display engine monitoring information. Nothing added here that affects your installation.

Apologies for being obtuse but I?m struggling to parse this.

If I have a G3X Touch with GEA24 will I be able to display engine data on a G5?

Apologies for being obtuse but I’m struggling to parse this.

If I have a G3X Touch with GEA24 will I be able to display engine data on a G5?
Hello Glen,

No. We appreciate that those of you with G3X Touch systems are looking at this announcement to see if there are changes that benefit you, but probably not.

Customers without a G3X Touch system, but with one or more G5 units, had no way to add engine monitoring until now. They can now add one or more of the 3 types of GDU 4XX displays and have some of the most important capabilities of a G3X Touch system.

Additionally, G5 customers without a G3X Touch system can now add the GAD 13 OAT probe interface and an OAT probe and display OAT, TAS, Winds, and Density Altitude on their G5 unit(s), which is something they could not do before.

Please re-read the first posting with this in mind and we think it will be clear what is being announced.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
G3x engine monitoring on Garmin Pilot?

From the press release, it looks like Touch users now get engine data transmitted to Garmin Pilot over Bluetooth?

Last edited:
From the press release, it looks like Touch users now get engine data transmitted to Garmin Pilot over Bluetooth?
Hello Dave,

Yes, that is a G3X Touch feature that was also announced for the next release.

Probably more important is automatic uploading of your flight log data to your FlyGarmin logbook via Garmin Pilot at the end of the flight.

Thanks,
Steve

Cost of probe..

G3x

Can you please explain why the Garmin OAT probe is circa 350 US dollars..just for the probe?

I realise you said that you can use other vendor's probes, but if you are going to all the trouble of installing a Garmin system I would be loathed to put in a different probe.

Am I missing something here?

Thank you!

Rgds

G3x

Can you please explain why the Garmin OAT probe is circa 350 US dollars..just for the probe?

I realise you said that you can use other vendor's probes, but if you are going to all the trouble of installing a Garmin system I would be loathed to put in a different probe.

Thank you!

Rgds
Hello Adrian,

Well, to begin with, it is not quite that expensive. The full kit contains the GAD 13 ($149), connector kit ($40), and GTP 59 OAT probe for $495, so the GTP 59 is $306 of this package.

The GTP 59 is a TSO'd OAT probe using a precision RTD sensor with enclosure, shielding, and wiring designed for use in even large business jets where lightning protection is considered to be important. The GTP 59 is used in most G3X, G3X Touch, G500/G600 TXi, and GX000 systems in many thousands of aircraft.

The wiring diagram for the GAD 13 also calls out two lower cost 3rd party probes (often used on transponders) that can typically be purchased for about $100, so you have a choice if the GTP 59 is too expensive for you.

Thanks,
Steve

G3x

Thank you!

Rgds

I’m installing a full G3X suite and was pretty shocked by the weight of the 10’ or so of pre-installed OAT cabling, which is double-shielded and heavier guage than necessary for RV’s. Also, it was far too short to make it from the installed location under my horizontal Stabilizer. I used it, but decided to cut off all but about 6” of the cabling and solder-spliced it it the pre-existing harness that supported a dynon OAT probe, which also saved some gruesome work in the tailcone. It would be best if Garmin offered a lighter weight, cheaper OAT option for experimentals, but good that there is the option to wire in a a third party unit.- Otis

No. We appreciate that those of you with G3X Touch systems are looking at this announcement to see if there are changes that benefit you, but probably not.

Thanks Steve,

The reason for my question was that - in a tandem aircraft, there is limited panel space and the G5 makes a great backup instrument. Much of the time it is idle.

A single G3X Touch screen gets pretty crowded with flight data, map, and engine instruments.

Last edited:
Hi Steve will you also need a GMU 11 to get the winds on the G5 with the GAD 13 in a standalone situation.

Thanks
Peter
Hello Peter,

Yes, the G5 system also needs to know heading in order to calculate wind speed and direction.

Thanks,
Steve

Fwiw, if you're still at Airventure, Gardner Lowe Avionics has the the kit for $225. They're supplying it with a Davtronics OAT, standard D-sub connector, and no CAN Terminator. About half of the avionics dealers I talked to didn't even know about the GAD-13 yet.

G3X Touch V8.40 Software

Hello,

The G3X Touch V8.40 Software which is required to utilize a standalone MFD with EIS as discussed in this thread is now available for download.

In addition to this capability, several additional new features were added.

Changes made from version 8.30 to 8.40:
  • Add support for G3X system configurations with no ADAHRS LRUs
  • Add interface to tune and control NAV radios
  • Add support for external navigator course selection via separate CDI instrument
  • Add ability to access Checklist page via MFD page navigation bar
  • Add Flight Plan Info button to Map and Chart pages
  • Add EIS data to Connext interface
  • Add alternative access to AFCS controls page via main menu
  • Improve GDU 470 Engine page when a single row of data bar fields are visible
  • Improve radio tuning page when radio field is not visible in data bar
  • Improve traffic display
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes update to G5 software version 6.30

While G3X Touch systems have supported user defined checklists since launch, customers have often asked that we allow the checklist to be one of the MFD pages accessible by turning the outer knob. This can now be enabled from the Display Setup page when there is a checklist on the SD card.

Additionally, some customers have asked that they be able to view and tune the NAV radio on the GDU, and we have added this capability now. There are two formats for displaying the NAV radio frequencies. There is a compact vertical button like shown below, and a side-by-side format like used for the COM frequencies. This NAV radio tuning support is currently only available for the SL 30 VHF/COM radio, but as soon as new software is available for the GTN 650/750 and GNC 255, those will also be supported. Update: NAV radio tuning support is now available with G3X Touch V8.60 and GNC 255 V2.20.

1FY9XyeWCL6pR8HU44NDuFKQanH4T3x2WquTTXJxqQqwgJ5hWEKoqos-fm1-v9mFOG2kXATcIyWlNq7sovY7Mpmq4-kRM_KO1HY00PHALWRVDJJ40AybmdBDXiSQs2duWPQmQlOjER9s-CxrFW0vAFGolhGYlaBprBS7Kjavc7pHOZfj5euduWvKb7rccyN__AetzsU3IoEviJEV-c999tZUa4gDhqLeM85m6C2pnuSQ9RXktHgvP_-HYxRBhMfUAFcrisdQanT1IMigY7gxdQRteub7dAvlfEEuMF7kNzBPOvcEjosW6Q4rK7HRWO7fRSu5YoW0fnScI2Bm5GkXKzGpSW45cNnRnKCNLD2faMV0RH_Krar5x_h4dICbB4Nk1xdrGozNTGTdQd_HQPRHx1LWRgzSdBFuQkskyfYhcMpQelllsMbkKT6KDkbMtzSytMMdyKAQHAtCHScCv4tNboq5Q7ginvzzmgpinv7UhxRjfch_T2CqkvYf4B-F0l5SxNEALrDhI3apzrS8vcK_I_rgmmEWlQjU2cJDV_VtBT_aSyTO7dKa9awa757pkNLlS-bLB1n-i6ixWCiwjV8gt5sf4Uyw6WeP96z1Xfr46wKJMSb4od0PXKjgpUM6VXqW_Rb0NvKd9sPt1aIdZyMzNN5cHfASm_uMMB6d_W_9dHl1G3YiPhK1CWUEnT1Gne8VoY6Ztud8WaoUe86w_8XZ23jUF0PJI-6hjvV9m8qjiwXSbMk=w720

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. Is there an option to have the MFD boot into the Checklist page by default?
Hello gfb,

Yes, the Display Setup page now allows you to specify this if you choose. It is also pretty quick to use the outer knob to roll all the way to the right (engine page), and click back one position to the checklist page.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve

When will the update be available for the G5

also does Garmin have a release date for the GAD 13

Thanks
Peter
Hello Peter,

The current G5 V6.20 software supports the GAD 13.

We started shipping the GAD 13 almost immediately after announcing, and many bought them from Garmin dealers at Oshkosh and carried them home.

The new Rev. 5 G5 installation manual provides installation guidance for the GAD 13.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
What D-sub connector does the GAS 13 use?
Hello zn105,

The GAD 13 uses a 9 pin D-sub.

Here are the part numbers and list prices for the various GAD 13 options.

010-02203-K0, GAD 13, GTP 59 OAT Probe, and Connector Kit $495
010-02203-00, GAD 13, Unit Only $149
011-03002-10, GAD 13 Connector Kit, 9 PIN, w/CAN Terminator $40.00

Thanks,
Steve

Hello,

The G3X Touch V8.40 Software which is required to utilize a standalone MFD with EIS as discussed in this thread is now available for download.

• Add support for external navigator course selection via separate CDI instrument

While G3X Touch systems have supported user defined checklists since launch, customers have often asked that we allow the checklist to be one of the MFD pages accessible by turning the outer knob. This can now be enabled from the Display Setup page.

Additionally, some customers have asked that they be able to view and tune the NAV radio on the GDU, and we have added this capability now. There are two formats for displaying the NAV radio frequencies. There is a compact vertical button like shown below, and a side-by-side format like used for the COM frequencies. This NAV radio tuning support is currently only available for the SL 30 VHF/COM radio, but as soon as new software is available for the GTN 650/750 and GNC 255, those will also be supported.

ZWOSwvtrabBebP4mFi50W9-QgqngEyI7FhAEd1dvVKRIq3h0cj-vlD_K2gKkZFgG_VLer1vbJG2VHhZdoJs3Z7FDi0JoMUFMtj-ksJnb1oWj-PUXVF9drtZCPLxJTC0pklCK3YR2XfDtMC2GQF8kF0AgqIKzF-RN_OSaAKQSqibowEK4iUmjLcbd76F-DZ5qJN6VgZjgcQ7J7kdKnvv1PqIrKGlucoXuM3SmM8gtLEL63JIymbDijhXCMkZnPTCEFjFst-qaPb-g6q9fKr18dYRp0HEGZ7uSagmOFW1F8-ERIR8b00Uvo__9cc2y-ZdGOsFo4aNoyfvV46C5jaQe3TLdHynSTEz5lKk4LaV3sRsW9gk2R7pitkeOCu0HHsgqhaPOCqUQ7h95MAg5dehimuMvk2Kwu4XIvifZr2Ba8xUyNc8IfesDUgV05B_IONOTrF_6JA7r2Ie9nepnKQ9xw_4fzZmR46RrTDCZBR3T_1zz1pRKIw19JnVrqbDi_N-5HsW-KL79Cs1EOkDTWfXT9WHU0Luz3WAGcJQEpU8yJLnnTaDMDIZ2Zi_TABGrzRQuQHYN4dbjWW7nQpDzYYiZi_l0rckqd7cduHyYrBaVvz8jSgz1htYoKpZ0vOGCckoSQHl3b-KysSR2BkTNdk11xubmCI8H60E=w720

Thanks,
Steve

That?s great news regarding NAV radio tuning. I?m assuming that the new MGL N-16 NAV radio will be able to be tuned from the G3x screen?...I think it uses SL30 protocol.

That?s great news regarding NAV radio tuning. I?m assuming that the new MGL N-16 NAV radio will be able to be tuned from the G3x screen?...I think it uses SL30 protocol.
Hello Mark,

We have never tested with that unit, but let us know how it goes!

Thanks,
Steve

Am I correct in assuming the additional GDU screen will only act as an MFD to display engine data and GPS related data?

Any plans to include PFD information and/or synthetic vision using the G5 as the primary?

Hello,

Today Garmin announced new capabilities for G5 systems including the addition of the GAD 13 OAT probe interface to support the display of Outside Air Temperature (OAT), True Airspeed (TAS), and Density Altitude for single or dual G5 installations.

Additionally, G5 single/dual installations may now be installed with one or more GDU 450 (7" landscape), GDU 460 (10.6" landscape), or GDU 470 (7" portrait) MFD displays and an optional GEA 24 engine interface for additional capabilities (provided by the MFD) such as engine monitoring, flight planning, display of ADS-B traffic/weather, and even COM radio tuning without adding a full G3X Touch system. You can even add a GTR 20 remote COM radio with 2 place stereo intercom and music support and tune this radio from the MFD.

The MFD in a G5 system interfaces with Garmin IFR navigators to show flight plans and instrument approaches just like a G3X Touch system. Standalone flight planning and GPS navigation is provided by the WAAS GPS receiver built into the MFD.

The G5 system with MFD can easily be expanded to become a G3X Touch system with PFD and additional ADAHRS units added later if desired.

The new GAD 13 OAT probe interface module is $495 list with a GTP 59 OAT probe and connector kit, or $149 for the bare GAD 13 without the OAT probe. Several 3rd party OAT probes are supported like the OAT probes typically installed on Garmin transponders.

The new software and hardware to add the GAD 13 and/or the MFD with engine monitoring will be available in August, 2019.

Thanks,
Steve

eBCRSnUsHbF8F7x3nlOgiWePyqG_uDC3H8JQmXa42raJ-i7TiSH9fDsVUJGKTdIzTexQ0EvFycoxd8ePbnzK14REk9PI6CLo4LOq__Bgu5igz2-JPrUvpCH2eKnYCASpjEQDKctfZo75wYcVcV4npJXT3Dfb3GhijQbr9ZFaBA4g6PAsfsN2pW87LMWSzEIpdyr9A6CUVQv1XJNCiEKtZchRBgwJjfSedEZPsYUOAMi8E2pOgWsfNkpUseNzdcQ_sFaadkIeqEtgiD8yNw_6IEPeSwR8IbcW7dw3WW_koBdibGpPq0M8Us0g-D0Eqqw_MjMoD_MakmkLIAK1_0eMj4osDHSYNnOXjrV9SILZbu1V3-1es5-sdxMGRZemFfOHOmrb4AChztSBfv325UcwcxUkBeMzEwzqTuT2hV9DVkpFRwuRsvmlk_81gf74I0y5GKEqXpsIyi86QOVQMUmagF3s2cWKmhzxi0Jj6_NbDGIFCcjzQghyI0LZPe1Qox8fw32VxIN5Q2p-1SPZevC0uFkViSs6eDQPqkvJyxFsDABzzyfAih6Pu4Zr7cPuLbbcpaJrXQyyssEe2-ZtfqB7GfpXAsaKNTcbKdxVmBhEtnXxg7Zn93w9iXWdtz2P4GGyq1MjOvfg4EVeyO1swX5X39ENqw-8e-c=w640

dqMTBgrNFusESj1d9muU1obe8CcmrevkDBLRPfk9Cuf708EcnNqhHKarh2Yd5jNRAPk6yoR6lNENyAZEjkqu25jiz4m82W_du0vzkD1bzJ-m22bJCDmuo9fFh4MyZGNl3T6CnMBArEmC5aIWS3nr6ckt_kb9ynbe9gmtv8gX_a2xrmlhWmSslNX1lFnFbn2oSK3hYx5c7d75Bo3r0MIJDG2Urneh5IrzlHxUX0IgUTwKz8gmFyUFTHKa4o1gz_wSLKsZy8X8A1i5zcoT7QmvtdARyTEWVx1XSta31FOY0iyanx-ZWn_wrCHinrF9L-mZbvaZs1ht7NP6RZ2BYykyAoPSA3oYZgNMwg0p1bcoKbfZM48abOTHiCmuGHOwY4j0Z7H_RDydPLtZ4NCBRARuFjDljteEeNwHbpyux32fdSFn8qGZBml9CUY-6UeI0cI1GB9JnRLh99-HY0o_NpOLs0ITL4dLuln4kYRLKrmAXO2-rrCoXaDFiwaKxXAE_xigRB6WFnhkfuDtMSfEJQtBELKbrw1X1MSFZbPkNos_PYtQ0MTgSVixi8MmqUiDSVuGRjCVvaLMLkwM_cBEpa0_EqCfB-r6e9ALoIa0c233hQ0AgqDV4c5aTnzOzObl1bPHYDxJoB7Ab6tuTB6XkETUc7hiEDOmpjM=w180
ppu_sRq585ADDvNsqwNOF9XZnRAwXZ5HhoyKovusx0Nb1KsqbeTP6iULqEdmMC1ss_C6K4AioaomU_jlxTH8bRsjCzpov8-K4hG5XJTsHAnn3jtriJGimJiPGFklzLvXVPDm8TqObphQAZRcYOwc6zdMZy8DMhSpbEI9SRzQ436gmPYW0REIUk476VVEfBtWrl5TgpnnIA3L9XVl7jSYC0tSGvJfL2Qz_o4nTrk5VlGgIrojXbrL0l1_Yqn8OpTHhrgLu-Lhu-nhBMIGqhScqp-grqJBqGidFV-CW3LRn6bdjKHsdsan9fbJKI6vZrX7_F73CfIeYrwxPFygYZoEWn6atC5ZKyuOQB8XXwvQ4HYP3nnEX3ztlCGj9GsS_1kVTkdlOwere4yq__R1L1gcOmlJ9EA_KVnF-wno_cBOoDouZepZbdD8edUfnArail85x6NqOmh45EuLR3Dsjhd95MNOpiFPGDdm47EeT7wtZtOrLXo-EGZ2juZPz6Gjpcud_pYy-pM_fl9mOwr2C0hOQmc8uN1LKsHuTYKyi42qWXKzuFIAtZRfFUPPJTwejuZfbhKBrtdh4BIjpir-ANvRT9TwIqt3-DBDte8iO51-THqOhZS5bCIygVZiR_mHDWOSiFACBoVn0jVn9B9YjFngiyIU1_hviGA=w240

Last edited:
Am I correct in assuming the additional GDU screen will only act as an MFD to display engine data and GPS related data?

Any plans to include PFD information and/or synthetic vision using the G5 as the primary?
Hello Bill,

You would need to add a primary GSU 25 ADAHRS if you wanted to have a PFD with synthetic vision.

The G5 does, however, provide backup ADAHRS data to the PFD in the event of a primary ADAHRS failure.

Thanks,
Steve

Will you be able to configure the inset windows on the 460 to display different data like you can on the full G3X version? For example; ADS-B traffic, flight plan info, or video in from a Virb? Any pics of the available screen that will be available in MFD mode on the 460?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Bill,

You would need to add a primary GSU 25 ADAHRS if you wanted to have a PFD with synthetic vision.

The G5 does, however, provide backup ADAHRS data to the PFD in the event of a primary ADAHRS failure.

Thanks,
Steve

Will you be able to configure the inset windows on the 460 to display different data like you can on the full G3X version? For example; ADS-B traffic, flight plan info, or video in from a Virb? Any pics of the available screen that will be available in MFD mode on the 460?

Thanks in advance!
Hello Bill,

No, inset windows are a PFD feature, but you can run the GDU 460 MFD in split mode with the map on the left pane, and any of the other MFD window choices including flight plan, traffic, and even video if you like.

If you email us we would be happy to provide the screen shots you need.

Thanks,
Steve

If equipped with the GMU-11 magnetometer or with GPS data?
Hello Bill,

Not exactly sure what your question is, but if you reach up and turn off the sole GSU 25 in a G3X Touch system equipped with a G5, the PFD will go into "ADAHRS reversion" and begin using attitude and air data from the G5 backup instrument.

You can even continue to use the autopilot from the PFD while using just the backup ADAHRS data from the G5.

If you have a GMU 11 magnetometer, your PFD will continue to have heading (and autopilot HDG mode) without the GSU 25, and can even continue to provide synthetic vision.

If you have a GAD 13 with OAT probe and lose the GSU 25, your PFD will continue to display OAT and TAS.

Thanks,
Steve

using attitude and air data from the G5 backup instrument.

Sorry, I worded that kind of confusing.

What air data from the G5 when in ADAHRS "reversion" mode?

For example, if I don't have a GMU-11 for the G5, is it sending ADAHRS data just calculated from the GPS (and other internal G5 sensors such as perhaps accelerometers)?

In other words, is it filling in the missing information otherwise provided by a magnetometer from just the G5?

Sorry, I worded that kind of confusing.

What air data from the G5 when in ADAHRS "reversion" mode?

For example, if I don't have a GMU-11 for the G5, is it sending ADAHRS data just calculated from the GPS (and other internal G5 sensors such as perhaps accelerometers)?

In other words, is it filling in the missing information otherwise provided by a magnetometer from just the G5?
Hello Bill,

The G5 doesn't ever need magnetometer data to perform its functions as a backup primary flight instrument.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Bill,

The G5 doesn't ever need magnetometer data to perform its functions as a backup primary flight instrument.

Thanks,
Steve

Right, I got that. But when it's in ADAHRS "reversion" mode, what is it sending in lieu of magnetometer data to the G3X?

Thanks again for the responses, learning :eek: :confused:

Right, I got that. But when it's in ADAHRS "reversion" mode, what is it sending in lieu of magnetometer data to the G3X?

Thanks again for the responses, learning :eek: :confused:
Hello Bill,

You are welcome. Perhaps you are trying ask under what conditions would the PFD continue to have heading information should you lose the GSU 25?

If the only magnetometer in your plane is a GMU 22 connected to a GSU 25, and you lose that GSU 25, nothing in the plane will have heading including the G5 and the PFD.

If you have an independent GMU 11 magnetometer, both the G5 and PFD will continue to have heading information even when the sole GSU 25 is lost.

The story with OAT is somewhat the same. If the only OAT probe in your plane is connected to a GSU 25, and you lose that GSU 25, you lose OAT (and TAS/Winds) for all displays. If you have an independent GAD 13 with OAT probe, both the G5 and PFD will continue to have OAT information even when the applicable GSU 25 is lost.

Getting back to heading, also don't forget that you can operate the HSI in GPS TRK mode and you can use TRK mode on the autopilot to steer the plane around, so losing heading is not much of an issue as long as you have GPS.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for the informative update Steve

If the G5 can output ADHARS info to a G3X system will you make it available to the Area 660 instead of the GDL52/ADSB solutions to give synthetic vision.

Thanks
Peter

Thanks for the informative update Steve

If the G5 can output ADHARS info to a G3X system will you make it available to the Area 660 instead of the GDL52/ADSB solutions to give synthetic vision.

Thanks
Peter
Hello Peter,

That is certainly something to consider, but this data is currently only available over the G5 CAN bus interface.

Thanks,
Steve

Question for G3Xpert...

Aircraft configuration is GNS530, GAD29B, two G5's, GMU 11, 3rd party engine monitor (JPI EDM 830). Engine monitor is wired to provide its OAT to the GNS530 via RS232 serial link.

In this configuration, will the G5s be capable of getting OAT info from their connection to the GNS530, and thus be able to display OAT, TAS, etc? If so, how is this accomplished?

I'm seriously hoping the G5 will accept OAT via this source as I'd rather not have the airplane festooned with additional probes and laden with additional wiring.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Question for G3Xpert...

Aircraft configuration is GNS530, GAD29B, two G5's, GMU 11, 3rd party engine monitor (JPI EDM 830). Engine monitor is wired to provide its OAT to the GNS530 via RS232 serial link.

In this configuration, will the G5s be capable of getting OAT info from their connection to the GNS530, and thus be able to display OAT, TAS, etc? If so, how is this accomplished?

I'm seriously hoping the G5 will accept OAT via this source as I'd rather not have the airplane festooned with additional probes and laden with additional wiring.

Thanks for your help!
Hello CJ,

While the G5/GAD 29/GAD 13 shares SAT (OAT) data with navigators and transponders over the EFIS/Airdata ARINC 429 link, we don't think your 530 will share this data with the G5 system.

We have tested this with GPS 175, GNC 355, GNX 375, and GTN 6XX/7XX navigators and GTX 330(ES) and GTX 3X5 transponders, and they receive and use this data from the G5 system just fine.

We haven't tested with a non-WAAS GNS 530, but the installation manual suggests that it might also accept temperature data from the G5/GAD 29/GAD 13.

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry, now that I read your post I realize I left out a critical piece of data. Big DOH on my part! The GPS is a 530W (with terrain). Not sure if this makes any difference in the ultimate end state of the G5 being able to accept OAT from the 530W via A429?

Thanks for your helpful response, Steve.

Sorry, now that I read your post I realize I left out a critical piece of data. Big DOH on my part! The GPS is a 530W (with terrain). Not sure if this makes any difference in the ultimate end state of the G5 being able to accept OAT from the 530W via A429?

Thanks for your helpful response, Steve.
Hello CJ,

No problem. I checked the output data for the 530W, and it appears to be like the other navigators mentioned previously.

It will receive and use air temperature data from several sources, but does not re-transmit the data on ARINC 429.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello,

While G3X Touch systems have supported user defined checklists since launch, customers have often asked that we allow the checklist to be one of the MFD pages accessible by turning the outer knob. This can now be enabled from the Display Setup page.

Additionally, some customers have asked that they be able to view and tune the NAV radio on the GDU, and we have added this capability now. There are two formats for displaying the NAV radio frequencies. There is a compact vertical button like shown below, and a side-by-side format like used for the COM frequencies. This NAV radio tuning support is currently only available for the SL 30 VHF/COM radio, but as soon as new software is available for the GTN 650/750 and GNC 255, those will also be supported.

ZWOSwvtrabBebP4mFi50W9-QgqngEyI7FhAEd1dvVKRIq3h0cj-vlD_K2gKkZFgG_VLer1vbJG2VHhZdoJs3Z7FDi0JoMUFMtj-ksJnb1oWj-PUXVF9drtZCPLxJTC0pklCK3YR2XfDtMC2GQF8kF0AgqIKzF-RN_OSaAKQSqibowEK4iUmjLcbd76F-DZ5qJN6VgZjgcQ7J7kdKnvv1PqIrKGlucoXuM3SmM8gtLEL63JIymbDijhXCMkZnPTCEFjFst-qaPb-g6q9fKr18dYRp0HEGZ7uSagmOFW1F8-ERIR8b00Uvo__9cc2y-ZdGOsFo4aNoyfvV46C5jaQe3TLdHynSTEz5lKk4LaV3sRsW9gk2R7pitkeOCu0HHsgqhaPOCqUQ7h95MAg5dehimuMvk2Kwu4XIvifZr2Ba8xUyNc8IfesDUgV05B_IONOTrF_6JA7r2Ie9nepnKQ9xw_4fzZmR46RrTDCZBR3T_1zz1pRKIw19JnVrqbDi_N-5HsW-KL79Cs1EOkDTWfXT9WHU0Luz3WAGcJQEpU8yJLnnTaDMDIZ2Zi_TABGrzRQuQHYN4dbjWW7nQpDzYYiZi_l0rckqd7cduHyYrBaVvz8jSgz1htYoKpZ0vOGCckoSQHl3b-KysSR2BkTNdk11xubmCI8H60E=w720

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,
Will the software update 6.30 referred to in the above post be made available to G5 owners.
Peter

Will this MFD functionality also work with the non touch screens?

Hello,

Thanks,
Steve

eBCRSnUsHbF8F7x3nlOgiWePyqG_uDC3H8JQmXa42raJ-i7TiSH9fDsVUJGKTdIzTexQ0EvFycoxd8ePbnzK14REk9PI6CLo4LOq__Bgu5igz2-JPrUvpCH2eKnYCASpjEQDKctfZo75wYcVcV4npJXT3Dfb3GhijQbr9ZFaBA4g6PAsfsN2pW87LMWSzEIpdyr9A6CUVQv1XJNCiEKtZchRBgwJjfSedEZPsYUOAMi8E2pOgWsfNkpUseNzdcQ_sFaadkIeqEtgiD8yNw_6IEPeSwR8IbcW7dw3WW_koBdibGpPq0M8Us0g-D0Eqqw_MjMoD_MakmkLIAK1_0eMj4osDHSYNnOXjrV9SILZbu1V3-1es5-sdxMGRZemFfOHOmrb4AChztSBfv325UcwcxUkBeMzEwzqTuT2hV9DVkpFRwuRsvmlk_81gf74I0y5GKEqXpsIyi86QOVQMUmagF3s2cWKmhzxi0Jj6_NbDGIFCcjzQghyI0LZPe1Qox8fw32VxIN5Q2p-1SPZevC0uFkViSs6eDQPqkvJyxFsDABzzyfAih6Pu4Zr7cPuLbbcpaJrXQyyssEe2-ZtfqB7GfpXAsaKNTcbKdxVmBhEtnXxg7Zn93w9iXWdtz2P4GGyq1MjOvfg4EVeyO1swX5X39ENqw-8e-c=w640

dqMTBgrNFusESj1d9muU1obe8CcmrevkDBLRPfk9Cuf708EcnNqhHKarh2Yd5jNRAPk6yoR6lNENyAZEjkqu25jiz4m82W_du0vzkD1bzJ-m22bJCDmuo9fFh4MyZGNl3T6CnMBArEmC5aIWS3nr6ckt_kb9ynbe9gmtv8gX_a2xrmlhWmSslNX1lFnFbn2oSK3hYx5c7d75Bo3r0MIJDG2Urneh5IrzlHxUX0IgUTwKz8gmFyUFTHKa4o1gz_wSLKsZy8X8A1i5zcoT7QmvtdARyTEWVx1XSta31FOY0iyanx-ZWn_wrCHinrF9L-mZbvaZs1ht7NP6RZ2BYykyAoPSA3oYZgNMwg0p1bcoKbfZM48abOTHiCmuGHOwY4j0Z7H_RDydPLtZ4NCBRARuFjDljteEeNwHbpyux32fdSFn8qGZBml9CUY-6UeI0cI1GB9JnRLh99-HY0o_NpOLs0ITL4dLuln4kYRLKrmAXO2-rrCoXaDFiwaKxXAE_xigRB6WFnhkfuDtMSfEJQtBELKbrw1X1MSFZbPkNos_PYtQ0MTgSVixi8MmqUiDSVuGRjCVvaLMLkwM_cBEpa0_EqCfB-r6e9ALoIa0c233hQ0AgqDV4c5aTnzOzObl1bPHYDxJoB7Ab6tuTB6XkETUc7hiEDOmpjM=w180
ppu_sRq585ADDvNsqwNOF9XZnRAwXZ5HhoyKovusx0Nb1KsqbeTP6iULqEdmMC1ss_C6K4AioaomU_jlxTH8bRsjCzpov8-K4hG5XJTsHAnn3jtriJGimJiPGFklzLvXVPDm8TqObphQAZRcYOwc6zdMZy8DMhSpbEI9SRzQ436gmPYW0REIUk476VVEfBtWrl5TgpnnIA3L9XVl7jSYC0tSGvJfL2Qz_o4nTrk5VlGgIrojXbrL0l1_Yqn8OpTHhrgLu-Lhu-nhBMIGqhScqp-grqJBqGidFV-CW3LRn6bdjKHsdsan9fbJKI6vZrX7_F73CfIeYrwxPFygYZoEWn6atC5ZKyuOQB8XXwvQ4HYP3nnEX3ztlCGj9GsS_1kVTkdlOwere4yq__R1L1gcOmlJ9EA_KVnF-wno_cBOoDouZepZbdD8edUfnArail85x6NqOmh45EuLR3Dsjhd95MNOpiFPGDdm47EeT7wtZtOrLXo-EGZ2juZPz6Gjpcud_pYy-pM_fl9mOwr2C0hOQmc8uN1LKsHuTYKyi42qWXKzuFIAtZRfFUPPJTwejuZfbhKBrtdh4BIjpir-ANvRT9TwIqt3-DBDte8iO51-THqOhZS5bCIygVZiR_mHDWOSiFACBoVn0jVn9B9YjFngiyIU1_hviGA=w240

Will this MFD functionality also work with the non touch screens?
Hello Bill,

The G5/MFD w/EIS type of installation described above requires one of the GDU 450/460/470 displays.

You can always install a standalone GDU 37X MFD with single/dual G5, and it can even be a VFR navigator for the G5 autopilot (like an Aera portable), but it can't have EIS capability without the other basic G3X components.

ACtC-3fzIAcBEyD0v85OEytU1j80VbbT2gW_hLHoEzDPDmJHj-2joptKtyrm7iztK2ZPvFTWoYLDK1HjQCFdcLXJ0zXy17J2Rf19Z_Bie0ZQjW1JR_8GumTWzZIaGOJS8cV9seh-89v3l-h68ArzuU2SI-DY=w640

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Back