What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 wingtip position light fairings

Sam Staton

Well Known Member
I am trying to finish up my wings and am trying to find a position light fairing for my wingtips. I have seen quite a few installed, but they seem to be made of unobtainium these days. Van?s doesn?t sell them any more and the supplier doesn?t seem to be in business any more. If anyone has a pair they would care to part with, or even damaged wingtips with fairings intact, I would be very interested. Thanks in advance!

I installed mine without fairings. I made one attempt at making some and quickly gave up. If you hug as close as you can to the top edge, they are well visible from above and don't angle that much. I was convinced that they don't add any value from a drag or performance stand point.

Larry

Flyleds?

Hi Sam

I assume you have the original W-415/Hoerner/flat-top wingtips without a light bay?
I have the details for Van's light bay mod available on the Flyleds website. I don't have the metal pieces anymore, but they should be easy for you to make up. I still have a few of the lenses left from the batch that I got Vans to make for me.
Oh, and I sell LED position/strobe lighting kits to suit!

Another ($$) alternative is to fit RMD products corners to your wingtips (now available from Knots2u.net). These are big enough to hold a landing light as well.
Oh, and I sell LED position/strobe lighting kits to suit these too!

I hope that is of some help.

Hi Sam

I?m fitting my nav/strobe lights on my RV6 at the moment, to make the faring or in my case spacers, I made my spacer by using polyester filler that comes with chopped stand mat mixed in ( isopon P50) not sure if you can get that in the states. I taped a bit of aluminum angle on the wing just below where I wanted to put the lights waxed the area and then applied the filler to the wing getting it as close to a flat vertical surface as I could. Once set removed the filler off of the wing tip, trimmed and sanded the lump of filler it to the profile of my nav lights. Later today I?ll fill the pinholes prime and paint then bolt the nav lights with the spacers through the wing tip onto a profiled spreader plate insite the tip. Only taken an hours work to get the pre paininting spacers made so it?s woth a try.

I?ll take some pics today so let me know if you would like me to send them to you.

Hope that helps

Simon

I may have a set. Bought them here on VAF thinking I could adapt them to the Onex I'm building but find that the angle is enough different that I will either mount the lights direct to wingtip or fabricate my own fairings. If interested send a PM with email and I'll send pictures of what I have.

Paul

I made my own, wasn't all that bad. I am no fiberglass wizard by any means.

I covered the affected area of the wingtip with packing tape, made the plug out of modeling clay and layed-up the faring. Then separated the part and cleaned out all the clay. Prepped the wingtip, bonded the fairing down, feathered it and added another layer of glass. Sorry don't have the finished picture to post at the moment.

FP19092016A00036.jpg

FP19092016A00037.jpg

Back