What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV friendly residential airparks

Sam Staton

Well Known Member
I am in the (very) early stages of retirement planning, and am searching for airpark candidates. If I don't stay here in North Florida, my desired area sort of spans both north & south Texas, since home is the hill country and Pecan Bayou. I'd like to find something in the area bounded by San Antonio, Brady, Abilene, and Fort Worth. Prefer very laid-back - not interested in high-end places like Spruce Creek. Looking for lots as opposed to built homes. Any recommendations will be gratefully accepted!

Take a look at Silverwings (TS36) just west of Fredericksburg. Mostly 4 acre lots. 3800X80 lighted runway built by the gummit. Several RVs here.

Take a look at Silverwings (TS36) just west of Fredericksburg. Mostly 4 acre lots. 3800X80 lighted runway built by the gummit. Several RVs here.

And with the largest Grumman Yankee/Cheetah/Tiger repair facility in the US at the end of the runway.

Should be a good nearby source for small hardware items... :)

Buy a big pick-up with a strong front end - ask the neighbors how many deer strikes they have had on the roads.

Big truck

Gil -
Already got a Ram 1500. As a native Texan and a Son of the Republic, I know to have a big truck!

Silverwings

Jim -
Tried to check out their website. Fredericksburg would do nicely. All I got was a blank screen when I brought their site up.

Sam, Once all the lots were sold by developer, he apparently let the website expire (or whatever websites do). Take a look at Google Earth. There are a few lots for resale. About $100K for 4 acre lots and more for the few 40 acre lots.

As mentioned before, Fletchair is a good neighbor to have!

Sam, Once all the lots were sold by developer, he apparently let the website expire (or whatever websites do). Take a look at Google Earth. There are a few lots for resale. About $100K for 4 acre lots and more for the few 40 acre lots.

As mentioned before, Fletchair is a good neighbor to have!

Silverwings airport access

Jim -
Do the lots on the outside of Airpark Loop have airport access? It does not appear that they do.

Sam

Sam,

While my wife and I still lived in Tampa we went on a similar search. In the end nothing compared to Pecan Plantation. Very affordable and lower taxes than most. It's a wonderful airpark but there is much more to Pecan than just an airpark. Check it out and if I can provide you with a tour of the facility just drop me a note.
Also RV's all over the airpark and a strong EEA chapter 983.
Pat

Last edited:
Sam,

While my wife and I still lived in Tampa we went on a similar search. In the end nothing compared to Pecan Plantation. Very affordable and lower taxes than most. It's a wonderful airpark but there is much more to Pecan than just an airpark. Check it out and if I can provide you with a tour of the facility just drop me a note.

Pat

Sam, the large lots outside the loop have a pad site that is reserved for each of the large lots to build a hanger on, these pad sites are located next to Fletchair near the south end of the runway. The loop and runway are protected by a deer proof fence.

Don't forget California

Rancho Tehama Airport in Northern CA. Several 1 acre lots for sale with direct runway access. Several RV owners on the field. Vacant 1 acre runway lots $40,000 to $70,000 depending what is on them.

Steve

Not Texas

Unfortunately, California is not Texas .... Since my goal here is to go back home, the left coast is too far west. Thanks for the info, though.

I am in the (very) early stages of retirement planning, and am searching for airpark candidates. If I don't stay here in North Florida, my desired area sort of spans both north & south Texas, since home is the hill country and Pecan Bayou. I'd like to find something in the area bounded by San Antonio, Brady, Abilene, and Fort Worth. Prefer very laid-back - not interested in high-end places like Spruce Creek. Looking for lots as opposed to built homes. Any recommendations will be gratefully accepted!

You may want to consider Zuehl (1TE4). It's a really nice area right along I-10, with quick access to San Antonio and I-35. Just found a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_2R0-jqjE

Back