What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EchoUAT Help Needed!

schaplerrh

Well Known Member
Sponsor
EchoUAT Help Needed!

I live in Northern VA and I desperately need help configuring my installed EchoUAT ADS-B. I purchased the ?plug-and-play? EchoUAT ADS-B from Dallas Avionics and had it installed to replace my NAVWORX (which was working perfectly with my dual Advanced Flight Systems EFIS displays).

I?ve read each VAF forum post relating to the EchoUAT. I?ve read and re-read and re- read again the EchoUAT install and user manual. I?ve spoken with uAvionix support personnel (great people) and reviewed the firm?s posted FAQs. I?ve checked the installation to confirm that the unit is ?working? and that the antenna is not grounding to the airframe (per uAvionix support personnel advice). I?ve flown hours and hours of circle while trying different configurations only to thereafter receive dozens of ?failed? ADS-B performance reports. I don?t understand much of what I read or what tech-support personnel are asking and telling me. I?m certain the problem lies with me, not with the ADS-B equipment. I need knowledgeable help.

SO, I?M POSTING THIS IN HOPES THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE IS OR KNOWS OF SOMEONE WHO 1) REALLY KNOWS THE EchoUAT, 2) RESIDES LOCALLY OR WITHIN REASONABLE RV7 FLYING DISTANCE, AND 3) IS WILLING TO PROVIDE ME WITH SOME PLANE-SIDE ASSISTANCE SO THAT I CAN GET THIS THING DIALED IN AND WORKING ? AS I KNOW IT CAN.

Thank you in advance,
Robert

No expert here. First thing I would do is go to the Uavionix page and make sure you have all the software updates properly installed. I had a very similar problem when I first installed my Echo UAT as you describe. I thought I had everything updated, but in actuality I did not. Fortunately I had my 6A at OSH a couple years ago when I was experiencing the problem and one of the Uavionix staff actually came out to my airplane and got things properly updated for me. I felt both very grateful and pretty humbled.

Check those updates, even if you think you have them installed.

Same issue

I struggled for almost a year back and forth with uavionics trying to figure out why I got no report. Finally they had me send it back for a replacement. Got a report immediately on first flight. Insist on an evaluation of your unit and avoid the frustration.

Did I misread it? Is it failed to generate a report or the report failed because of ...?

uAvionix

It should generate a report if it is working even if it doesn't pass. Did you put the right date in the form (Zulu time makes it often the next day if you fly later in the day)? Sounds silly but that happened to me. Does the app show that it is transmitting? Did you double tap the logo to get the advanced diagnostics?

I too did the plug and play for the Navworx that worked perfectly. It takes a couple of runs at the settings, at least it did for me, but I never didn't get a report.

Good luck and keep us posted.
John

Are you flying in rule airspace? If you are flying within rule airspace you should get a report whether ADS-B equipped or not. The report is just generated by the request. Your flight still happened. Whenever I get a "no report generated" response via email I have made an error on the PAPR (or GAIRS) request form. Most often being date/time. This is less complicated if you only flew once in the day as you dont have to specify a time. The only thing I could think of in your case would be if you are out in the boonies with no ATC contact and your system isn't working at all.

One time when picking up a new install from a shop in FL I got a passing report by maneuvering over the Gulf of Mexico at over 500ft (ADIZ rule airspace). No ATC contact.

You might want to try flying in rule airspace with ATC contact if not already, and if practical, to see if you can generate a report. If you already are you might want to have a buddy go up in another airplane to see if he picks you up. Flightaware.com might also work if you have been talking to ATC or flown a flight plan.

Jim

Did you verify that you entered correct Mode S code?

I would enter the easter egg by tapping the uAvionix logo and verify that it is picking up the pressure altitude.

Can you see yourself using a stratus or statux adsb in? You should show up on the ground even. I've figured this out multiple times when I left the master on.

The thing that got me was trying to request the report right after landing. I got a failed to generate. I resubmitted a several hours later and then it found the flight.

Vince
RV-7

I would send the unit to Uavionix to get it checked out. That way you're starting with a known good unit.

Having said that, Uavionics initially had problems with the Navworx harness and I recall several people had to gets theirs replaced. On top of that, Uavionics has more than one harness for the EchoUAT, which I know because when I upgraded transponders last month they had to send me a new harness to replace the original "Navworx" harness.

All of that to say, make sure you have the right harness. Don't trust "Appendix C-12 echoUATmux harness for Navworx" in the manual to be the actual schematic. Verify that with Uavionics because there's something fishy about that drawing (i.e. why is there no GPS In but two traffic TX Out.)

I fly within the DC FSRA so I know I?m in radar contact and that ATC has my transponder and correct tail number. I resubmitted several earlier requests and again received failed to generate a report responses. I was up there and this by itself did not generate any reports. What is ?the Easter egg?? I?ve done the two-finger tap above the logo to access additional info; is this what you mean by Easter egg? I?m ?sniffing? my Garmin 327 transponder output and looking for ?IN? on both AFS EFIS and IPad linked/connected to the EchoUAT ADS-B.

I fly within the DC FSRA so I know I?m in radar contact and that ATC has my transponder and correct tail number. I resubmitted several earlier requests and again received failed to generate a report responses. I was up there and this by itself did not generate any reports. What is ?the Easter egg?? I?ve done the two-finger tap above the logo to access additional info; is this what you mean by Easter egg? I?m ?sniffing? my Garmin 327 transponder output and looking for ?IN? on both AFS EFIS and IPad linked/connected to the EchoUAT ADS-B.

The app tells you whether you are sending a transponder code, as I recall. It will say 1200 or whatever until you modify it enough that it doesn't sense it. It also tells you your N number. Is yours showing this? I am no expert but, if I was in DC, I would try to show you. After my military career, I avoid the place now.

Yes, that's what I was referring to as the "easter egg"

Not sure from your response, were you able to sniff the 327 output?

I forget, if the additional info contains the S Code. If so, did you verify it matches what the FAA reports for you N number?

Back