What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alum gear leg fairings alignment tab

FinnFlyer

Well Known Member
This is for you old RV-4 builders.

From the manual: "... we suggest a small tab be riveted to the fuselage to serve as a socket of sorts into which the upper trailing edge of the fairing fits."

On drawing S-1.

Actually two tabs?

But what is the 30 degree bend? A third piece? But how is that held to the two tabs?

I know, "just make it work". But because it's on the drawing I feel I should understand it.

Finn

Attachments

• Alignment tab.jpg
    Alignment tab.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 211
Top right pic is the starting point. Below it, you trim as described - a slot along the trailing edge so you can bend & form the 2 tabs as shown on the left pic. Looks like you have to determine the angle of the bends by trial & error. Holes in the tabs is where you screw it to bottom of fuselage. You need a tab for each gear leg.

Last edited:
Thanks Ralph.

That helps.

So there is no complete flat drawing of the entire piece. I'm so used to having that.
The piece is initially more like 1 1/2" x 1 1/4"
Then bend the 1 1/2" 30 deg to two 3/4" legs.
Cut/trim about half way through/along the 30 deg bend.
Then bend the two rivet tabs.

Three bends total.

Finn

Last edited:
Much different than the Glass fairings..

My -4 is post glass fairings, so I did not have to make such clips. What I do know, is this is one of the most dynamic areas of the airplane and there is a ton of movement there. I know the metal fairings are 2 piece and the slip joint in the middle allows for the flex, where as the glass ones are one piece and the "cuff" intersection fairing keeps them aligned somewhat along with the hose clamp to the gear leg. My glass fairings where making contact with fuselage metal fairing that is the area the tabs you are doing are attached to and had to be trimmed to allow a bunch of clearance there for fore/aft flex(this area is covered by the intersection fairings). I have inspected other -4's with metal fairings and don't recall seeing those tabs.

Thanks Bill.

Yes, the manual mentions 3/8" clearance there (weight off gear).

One advantage of the clip/tab is that it will prevent the gear leg fairing from being pushed back (if that's even an issue). Disadvantage is that have to make the intersection fairing cover the clip/tab.

Plan is to fly it to verify I've got fairings correctly aligned before molding the intersection fairings. Will also have to device a way to hold the bottom end in place -- probably a hose clamp and rod or some other alum piece.

Finn

Results

I guess I should close this out.

Plenty of room in the intersection fairing for the clip. Clay covers it completely.

Holds the top of the gear leg fairing firmly in place.

For the bottom part of the gear leg fairing I used a 1/4" alum tube bent to fit in the trailing edge of the fairing and held with a hose clamp to the gear leg. Nice while forming (claying) the intersection fairing to the wheel pant and gear leg fairing, and can safely fly without the pants if needed.

Seem my old VA-108 wheel pants pick up dirt and water. Thinking about adding thin walls in front and rear of the wheel, like in the newer pants.

Finn

Seem my old VA-108 wheel pants pick up dirt and water. Thinking about adding thin walls in front and rear of the wheel, like in the newer pants.
You can also drill a water drain hole at the back of the wheel pant so at least the water will run out.

Back