What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimple the elevator skin holes on 09-22, Fig. 1?

StressedOut

Well Known Member
I'm about to rivet the rear spar to the lower skin, but before I do that I wanted to read ahead to make sure I didn't miss something.

You match drill #30 the shear clip common to the upper and lower skin (pg 09-09, Fig. 1) and a bit later you dimple this one shear clip. Finally, near the end of the build you rivet the three holes with a CS4-4.

I didn't see any instruction to dimple the holes in the upper and lower skin at this location. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but for the life of me I can't see where I do this step. Is this an omission in the plans? I test fitted the parts and it sure doesn't look right if the two skin tabs aren't dimpled.

I know this is low probability, but could this be intentional?

Last edited:
I'd also love some guidance here. I'm in the exact same predicament. I think if nobody say otherwise, I'm going to remove the skins and dimple these two sets of holes. I caught this prior to riveting the skins so its easy.

I think it’s 9-9 step 7, but I haven’t done yet, just been reading the next sections.

Ok here's the deal. This step is in fact missing from the instructions, amazingly. You must dimple these three #30 holes in the closeout tabs, top and bottom left skin, prior to riveting the skin to any structure.

Ok here's the deal. This step is in fact missing from the instructions, amazingly. You must dimple these three #30 holes in the closeout tabs, top and bottom left skin, prior to riveting the skin to any structure.

Nice, thanks for pointing us in the right direction!

Back