What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MGL RDAC location

Mikeyb

Well Known Member
Before it’s too late. Has anyone tried mounting their RDAC in this location?
It’s close to the oil cooler discharge. I don’t know if that’s good or bad.
Mike

Attachments

• FEE3BC90-B704-4540-B9F2-B56E31E54081.jpeg
    FEE3BC90-B704-4540-B9F2-B56E31E54081.jpeg
    822.7 KB · Views: 164
Just an opinion, FWIW, its going to block access to work on anything on the back of the engine, like oil filter, or checking for leaks, or …. Well … anything you want to do there. Plus you’re going to be snagging wires that go in and out of the RDAC every time you work there.

It might not be obvious now, but long term, I’d personally find it an annoyance.

Paul

I would avoid mounting anything containing semiconductors (transistors, diodes, IC's) fire-wall forward.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 10.15.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 10.15.46 AM.png
    448.9 KB · Views: 106
Thanks Paul
If I mount it on the firewall can I use ClickBond Studs?

Last edited:
I’ve installed several MGL systems and each one progressively got farther from the firewall and was designed for easy access. There are many adjustments I hd to do while setting them up. Just make it easy to get to with a small screwdriver.

MGL designed it to handle the environment FWF and we never had a heat/ vibration related failure on those that were mounted there.

Thanks all
It seems like it doesn’t block much where it is. I picked that spot so I could get to the RDAC by only taking the top cowl off. I am reserving the other side of the engine for the typical Raven inverted oil setup.

Thanks Paul
If I mount it on the firewall can I use ClickBond Studs?

Honestly? As much as i love ClickBond products, and I use them almost everywhere, I’d be hesitant to use them to mount a box on to the firewall, because, well….the firewall can flex a tiny bit and that could potentially pop a stud off (maybe?). I don’t generally like to “load” a ClickBond stud with weight that could have some inertia I guess. Personally, I’d put nutplates in (even CB nutplates) because once you have the bolts or screws in the nutplates, the adhesive isn’t doing anything regarding loads.

The comment on making the RDAC accessible for adjustments is right on BTW!

Paul

I mounted mine to the front of the firewall mounted battery. (N/A on an 8)...16 years ago. RV6A

Easy access. Tested cool area. All wires follow engine mount and are out of the way for all other service access.

Last edited:
Mine has been on the lower left FWF on my 6a. Have not had to adjust any settings in 6years. I do cover it with a plastic bag when I clean the engine.

This is how it ended up.
Mike

Attachments

• 12057BA9-06A7-45F5-BC00-4E1277B77B7E.jpeg
    12057BA9-06A7-45F5-BC00-4E1277B77B7E.jpeg
    779.6 KB · Views: 134
Hey Mikey

Are those oil lines from Summit Racing ? They look *exactly* like the brake lines I bought from them for my Bearhawk.

All lines from Aircraft Specialty Flightlines. A very good experience as many note.
Mike

Back