What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

safety wire

HansLab

Well Known Member
All articles I read in Kitplanes, all books I see: they all put pressure on safetywiring bolt on the propellor and the brakes.
Howcome my '12 doesn't obey that rule? I'm thinking of replacing the bolts by drilled ones during maintenance - will take a while though: first flight accomplished but due to regulations of the airport flight number two is still to be flown...

All articles I read in Kitplanes, all books I see: they all put pressure on safetywiring bolt on the propellor and the brakes.
Howcome my '12 doesn't obey that rule? I'm thinking of replacing the bolts by drilled ones during maintenance - will take a while though: first flight accomplished but due to regulations of the airport flight number two is still to be flown...

Because the fasteners on those items use Nord-lock washers.

https://www.nord-lock.com/nord-lock/products/washers/

I did adjust my 2012 prop when I got it home in June of last year. All 6 bolts do have Nordlocks, which replace safety wire.

Since your plane is new, you'll probably be adjusting the pitch of your prop too. Ideally, you want to see 5175 to 5200 rpm at a Vy 75 kt airspeed climb rate. Anything less and your fpm climb rate suffers at the expense of cruise speed and exhaust temps climbing up.

I will also tell you you will want to use NordLocks on the 4 screws/ bolts on your gascolator too, instead of getting in there to cut out and then replace that miserable saftey wire when you do your Inspections, annually. The location of them is terrible for removal of and installing new safety wire.

Last edited:
Back