What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Medium or hot plugs ???

BruceW

Well Known Member
(sorry if this has been covered. Quick search did not find an easy answer. Direct me if there is a thread on this)

Have Lightspeed Plasma II on an Aerosport IO-360. Standard compression.
Looking to replace plugs. Have been running #24 (hot) plugs, like what came with it.
Wondering about using #27 (medium) plugs. And what the difference is? (other than the number 3)

The Lightspeed order page shows #24 plugs "used on lower to standard compression engines", and #27 for "used on standard to higher compression engines". So looks like I could use either on my standard compression IO-360.

Responses, or direction to info source, appreciated.
Merry Christmas.

I have an IO-360-A1B6, 8.7:1 CR Pistons (stock) with Dual Plasma III ignitions.

I had over 150 hours of trouble free operation with the Denso IK27's.

I just swapped to NGK BR8EIX, stock #6747, because I wanted to have a little warmer plug. I have also had good performance with this plug and Lightspeed Plasma III in a previous IO-360-A1B6 engine.

The NGK has a smaller gap and larger electrode than the Denso which should create less stress (lower resistance) on the coils.

And they're cheaper :)

been using the Denso 5391 IWM24 since beginning of 2020, e.g. some 200+ hours later, all good. Starting, performance, consumption and Ts all in line :)
Dual Plasma II, carbed O-360.

Previous owner mentioned a much better running engine jumping from 27 to 24 grade, can’t tell for sure since I only went from 2 electrodes to iridium...

Looks like two out of three dentists prefer hotter plugs on standard compression Lycomings. Thanks.

Back