What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 dimmer issues

Flew my "new to me" RV-12is at night for the first time this evening. Everything appeared normal until I went to flip the strobes on. Once on, the Skyview HDX, Garmin GTR200B and autopilot module brightness started to bounce all over the place. Turn the strobes off and the problem goes away. Did not occur with any other lights (i.e. landing or nav). Assume its a simple wiring issue. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Does your RV-12 have a potentiometer for controlling the brightness?
Is there a cockpit light? If so, does it work OK?

I don't know if this is the problem or not, but it will not hurt to check the wing-root electrical connection,
especially if it is the original design that depends on rivets through plastic to conduct electricity.
The AV-50000A control module contains a 1 microfarad capacitor related to the dimmer circuit.
If that capacitor is bad, it might cause problems. It will not hurt anything to add another capacitor.
Connect the positive side of a new capacitor to the AV-50000A Nav/Com D-Sub pin 5 and the negative side to ground.
My suggestions may or may not help. Mike Miller (MMiller) might have better ideas.

Back