What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navworx ADS600-B problem?

kbehrent

Well Known Member
I have the ADS600-B transceiver that it has functioned really well connected to one of my AFS 4500 screens. I just updated the firmware on the ADS600B to 3.12.5 in order to display the N numbers for ADSB traffic that AFS now supports the displaying of.

Since upgrading the firmware, the UAT Fail annunciator is getting momentarily set (on for a couple of secs, than off) every few minutes or so. Navworx's provide this annunciator connection in case you want to drive a annunciator lamp to signal a failed condition. I have mine connected to the 4500 so I get a warning msg.

I am still getting traffic and it appears I still get wx, although I've only been able to confirm that I receive metars since we've been having incredible clear skies for the Pacific NW..

Has anyone else had this issue? Anyway to find our what is causing the failed condition? I could easily just connect the light, but since it hasn't done this before, I would like to know why it's doing it now. I've been trying to reach Bill over the last few days and have not been successful contacting him.

Thanks,
Kevin

Update

Bill finally returned my call and confirmed that he has received a few other complaints regarding the latest firmware update. He understands there is a problem since so many are experiencing it, but he is currently unable to reproduce the problem on the bench. Whatever it is, it appears to have been caused by the latest firmware update thus it should be a simple software patch to fix it once he figures out what is causing it. Since it doesn't seem to affect the receiving traffic or wx (that I can detect), he said we could either disconnect the annunciator or ignore it until he has a patch.

Bill finally returned my call and confirmed that he has received a few other complaints regarding the latest firmware update. He understands there is a problem since so many are experiencing it, but he is currently unable to reproduce the problem on the bench. Whatever it is, it appears to have been caused by the latest firmware update thus it should be a simple software patch to fix it once he figures out what is causing it. Since it doesn't seem to affect the receiving traffic or wx (that I can detect), he said we could either disconnect the annunciator or ignore it until he has a patch.

Any updates on this?

bob

I have no knowledge of this type failure, but have seen other odd things.

First, my Gns430 sometimes gives me a traffic fail message although traffic is displayed properly on the Ipad/WingX screen. Bill seemed to think it may be a software version problem with the GNS430. I was asked to stay tuned and that was some time ago. Haven't heard from him yet.

Five days ago I took a long cross country and never saw any traffic displayed, although flight following said it was there, confirmed visually. My Ipad/Wingx seemed to indicate no reception from ground stations. I saw no direct broadcasts either, and usually see lots of Embry Riddle traffic near Daytona. Might have been too early.

The following day on the ground I picked up Embry Riddle traffic. I have an email into Bill, but nothing in 4 days. I sent him screen shots of the UAT console to assist. I need another test flight me thinks...

Don

Thanks for the heads up - I was going to upgrade this weekend, but I'll hold till I see a fix that works for you guys.

ADSB issues

Yes I have seen the same intermittent fail light from my Navworx unit. I suspect some type of internal system test is causing the light to flash but everything seems to work fine. Also flights that no traffic appear, I have seen this several times. I cycled power to the Navworx unit and it came back up with traffic working great. Both of these are obvious SW bugs, but can be worked around till Bill fixes them.

I cycled power to the Navworx unit and it came back up with traffic working great. Both of these are obvious SW bugs, but can be worked around till Bill fixes them.

I tried cycling power twice and no joy. I'll give it til after the holidays to pulse Bill at Navworx again.

Don

My concern is that the current release is going on sixteen months old. It appears this issue was initially discovered seven months ago and the root cause is still unidentified.

I will fly with my unit for the first time this upcoming weekend, so I have no experience with the unit.

I have run the Navworx with the 4500 AFS as the display for a couple of years now and with the current update since it came out. Haven't had a problem with either unit, been to 49 states and the coverage seems almost complete now. I do not have the warning light though. My 4500 does not display the N numbers like the 5000 series does, should it? Larry

Last edited:
I still have the same issue with my NavWorx's box intermittently turning on/off the UAT light. I finally got so tired of it I disconnected it. As far as I know, there have been no updates since the one that was released that caused this problem in the first place.

I will say that I have not noticed any issues with receiving traffic or wx. The only issue I see is that the firmware is turning on the UAT light momentarily for what seems to be no reason.

My biggest issue with NavWorx's is trying to contact Bill or to even get a response to a email or voicemail. If you can ever get him to communicate back, immediately rush out and go buy a lotto ticket because your lucky meter has just pegged!!

Back