What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Latest News on ADS-B from the FAA - Increased availability of Free Traffic & Weather

Walt

Well Known Member
Latest News on ADS-B from the FAA - Increased availability of Free Traffic & Weather

New ADS-B Terminal Services Are Available Now
Notice Number: NOTC3486
Attention Pilots
New ADS-B Terminal Services Are Available Now

Pilots who use the terminal airspace listed below can now receive free traffic and weather information in the cockpit. To receive these services, aircraft must be equipped with an Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast (ADS-B) transmitter/receiver or transceiver and a cockpit display of traffic information (CDTI).

Service Volume Name
Airport ID

Atlanta
ATL
Atwater-Castle MER
Bakersfield BFL
Barksdale AFB BAD
Baton Rouge BTR
Beaumont BPT
Bradley-Windsor Locks BDL
Burbank BUR
Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood FLL
Fresno FAT
Ft Myers RSW
Gainesville GNV
Gwinn (KI Sawyer) SAW
Houston-Hobby HOU
Houston-Intercontinental
IAH
Jacksonville JAX
Kansas City MCI
Lafayette LFT
Lake Charles LCH
Los Angeles LAX
Marysville-Beale AFB BAB
Merced MCE
Miami MIA
Minneapolis-St. Paul
MSP
Mobile MOB
Monroe MLU
Monterey/Fort Ord Marina
MRY
NAS Whiting Field (Milton) NSE
New Orleans MSY
Oakland OAK
Ontario ONT
Orlando MCO
Palm Springs PSP
Patrick AFB COF
Pensacola PNS
Pensacola NAS NPA
Pittsburgh PIT
Richmond RIC
Sacramento-McClellan
MCC
San Francisco SFO
San Jose SJC
Sanford SFB
Santa Barbara SBA
Santa Maria SMX
Sarasota-Bradenton SRQ
Savannah SAV
Seattle-Tacoma SEA
Shreveport SHV
Stockton SCK
Tampa TPA
West Palm Beach PBI

The new services include:

Flight Information Service - Broadcast (FIS-B), which provides pilots and flight crews with a cockpit display of aviation weather and aeronautical information via Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) equipment on 978 MHz. Note: FIS-B is not compatible with 1090ES avionics.
? The following FIS-B weather products are for advisory use only. The information provided by FIS-B can not be used in compliance of any regulatory requirement. Pre-flight weather briefings and in-flight weather updates must be obtained through FAA approved sources only.
o Aviation Routine Weather Reports (METARs).
o Special Aviation Reports (SPECIs).
o Terminal Area Forecasts (TAFs) and their amendments.
o NEXRAD (regional and CONUS) precipitation maps.
o Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) Distant and Flight Data Center.
o Airmen?s Meteorological Conditions (AIRMET).
o Significant Meteorological Conditions (SIGMET) and Convective SIGMET.
o Status of Special Use Airspace (SUA).
o Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFRs).
o Winds and Temperatures Aloft.
o Pilot Reports (PIREPS).
o TIS-B service status.
Traffic Information Service - Broadcast (TIS-B), which enhances a pilot's visual acquisition of other traffic on 978 UAT and 1090 MHz Extended Squitter (1090 ES).
? TIS-B is an advisory only service. Pilots must continue to exercise vigilance to ?see and avoid? other aircraft in accordance with Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations Section 91.113b.
The following table lists which type of data link is required to receive TIS-B and FIS-B services:

If the aircraft is equipped with the following data link?
Then the pilot can receive the following services?

978 MHz Universal Access Transceiver (UAT)
TIS-B and FIS-B

1090 MHz Extended Squitter (1090 ES)
TIS-B

The FAA encourages users of TIS-B and FIS-B to report any irregularities observed while using the services. Reports should contain the following information:
1. Time of observation.
2. Location.
3. Type and identity of the aircraft.
4. Description of the condition observed.
5. Type of avionics system and software version used.

You can report issues by contacting the nearest Air Traffic Control (ATC) facility, Flight Service Station (FSS) facility, or by submitting FAA Form 8740-5, Safety Improvement Report, available from FSSs, Flight Standards District Offices, or general aviation fixed-based operators.
When the service is not available, as result of a service volume network being out of service, the service condition will be NOTAMed as NOT AVBL.

EXAMPLE - !PHL PHL SVC TRAFFIC INFORMATION SERVICE BROADCAST NOT AVBL

Additional information about ADS-B services can be found in the Aeronautical Information Manual at the following link: http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/AIM/
For more information about the FAA?s ADS-B program, visit http://www.ads-b.gov.

Questions?
Contact the FAA Flight Standards ADS-B Office at [email protected].
Contact the FAA Aircraft Certification ADS-B Office at [email protected]

Amazing. We are going to have to pay for the nav data and charts that the FAA produces, but now they're going to give away weather data? How long is that going to last? :confused:

TODR

Preserve the bureaucracy at all costs. Its not real money anyway.

Per the Flight Standards Office announcement: "? The following FIS-B weather products are for advisory use only. The information provided by FIS-B can not be used in compliance of any regulatory requirement. Pre-flight weather briefings and in-flight weather updates must be obtained through FAA approved sources only."

To my way of thinking, it is absurd that the FAA would disqualify ADSB/FIS-B weather from use as an "approved" weather source for flight planning. If it thought to be inaccurate or unreliable in delivery, it ought not to be released yet. Granted, it would not work on the ground. But what if I want to use it as an update enroute, say prior to landing on the first leg of a round trip? That information does not count? Why not? What is the reason for this limitation?

I suspect this limitation is based on nothing more than FAA desire to preserve their existing programs/personnel/contracts/funding.

I have little confidence in the FAA's INTERNAL ability to manage new technology, and even less trust in their intent to implement it with an eye to efficiency.

Adsb Data Display?

Adsb data display is no trivial effort. First you need an adsb unit. TIS-B & FIS-B units are made by few companies and TIS units that recieve all traffic & Xmit your own info to other traffic and the ground must be certified. Displays can be on a IPad through to include Some Efis units. Lots of options are already out there it will take good user reviews to help decide which are most useful.

What will be fun is to see which Efis maker is first to provide a fighter radar like display to show Fellow RV owners TIS-B position reports to help expedite join ups?

Cecil
RV-6A flying
MGL Odyssey (ADSB in development)

Adsb data display is no trivial effort. First you need an adsb unit. TIS-B & FIS-B units are made by few companies and TIS units that recieve all traffic & Xmit your own info to other traffic and the ground must be certified. Displays can be on a IPad through to include Some Efis units. Lots of options are already out there it will take good user reviews to help decide which are most useful.

What will be fun is to see which Efis maker is first to provide a fighter radar like display to show Fellow RV owners TIS-B position reports to help expedite join ups?

Cecil
RV-6A flying
MGL Odyssey (ADSB in development)

You'll need an IFR WAAS GPS to feed your data to a UAT which transmits your ADSB-OUT data to the ground, and that will trigger the incoming ADSB-IN data (containing weather and traffic) for you to display.

You'll need an IFR WAAS GPS to feed your data to a UAT which transmits your ADSB-OUT data to the ground, and that will trigger the incoming ADSB-IN data (containing weather and traffic) for you to display.

You will need a WAAS GPS, however it does not have to be an IFR/WAAS unit. For example the Freeflight unit can be purchased with a certified WAAS GPS built in. Navworx also has a internal GPS but it is not yet certified.

http://www.navworx.com/PDFs/ADS600-B-and-xtreme-Vision-display-block-diagram.pdf

You can get the Skyradar ADS-B portable receiver for about $1000, which includes Waas GPS. It connects via WiFi to my Ipad (and others) using WingXPro7 app or Skyradar's own app, both excellent.

The ADS-B weather reception is excellent in many parts of the country, due to be complete, nation-wide, next year.

I bought it for the weather, so that I could dump XM. I use the system in my Bonanza and my RV, and it receives well in both planes, whether mounted on the glareshield or in the back.

Since activating, my ADS-B system has neither failed, dropped out, nor needed a refresh signal, nor cost me a monthly fee; and, the Customer service from Skyradar has been superb - - - something I could never say about XM.

Bill

I don't know, but you can try wingx pro 7 for 30 days free, as I recall, to see. Also, check out sky radar.com, or contact them.

Back