What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spec of hoses for inverted oil

rvflyerUk

Can anyone help with part numbers for the fittings and hose used for inverted oil? I have looked at the components supplied by Summit Racing, of course I like the price!
Although they have been mentioned a number of times, the spec of the hose seems quite different to say Aeroquip AE701.

Has anyone used the components supplied by Earls Performance?

I'm referring to their Perfom-O-Flex and Swivel seal hose ends.
Although expensive, it's a little cheaper than Aeroquip and has a good spec.

I consider that the quality of these components is paramount to safety and of course meets the demands of the our overlords here in UK.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, apologies for appearing paranoid over this!

Fittings for Raven Install

See if this helps:

i-sGsMqck-L.jpg

Can anyone help with part numbers for the fittings and hose used for inverted oil? I have looked at the components supplied by Summit Racing, of course I like the price!
Although they have been mentioned a number of times, the spec of the hose seems quite different to say Aeroquip AE701.

Has anyone used the components supplied by Earls Performance?

I'm referring to their Perfom-O-Flex and Swivel seal hose ends.
Although expensive, it's a little cheaper than Aeroquip and has a good spec.

I consider that the quality of these components is paramount to safety and of course meets the demands of the our overlords here in UK.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, apologies for appearing paranoid over this!

I'm a big fan of racing hoses and fittings and have used Summit fittings and hoses on three Raven inverted installations. All are still working flawlessly. Just be sure to use the summit fittings on the summit hose and you can't go wrong. You'll save a lot of money this way and the hoses and fittings are much easier to work with than the aviation stuff.

If you have any difficulty crossing the AN fittings and hoses to the appropriate Summit versions, just give them a call. Their sales / support people are excellent.

Typically -10 hoses for the supply and returns, -12 for the breather.
Earls does make high quality components. Their swivel seal hose ends DO make it easier for fitting orientation, but they do have their drawbacks.
WE typically use a convoluted teflon hose, with a truebore ID of .625, versus .500 for standard smoothbore teflon, and .565 for the -10 Performa Flex Hose.
Ours use crimped hose ends versus the resuables for the Earls products, and that does make it easier for the builder to make his own assemblies. Be sure to get a good selection of hose ends---different routings may require different hose ends.

Tom

Specs for oil lines

Thanks everyone, this forum is excellent.

The goal is now to ensure they meet the requirements in the UK; I will then tabulate the part no.s and their usage etc. along with some photos. I hope that will go some way to repaying your contributions and assist others encountering the issues around this aspect of their project.

Your inputs are greatly appreciated, thank you.

Ed---I wasnt going to rain on Peter's parade by saying that the swivel joints have a tendency to leak over time. Same as with the industrial versions in use on millions of applications. Easy to install and replace--pretty often. DONT use them on the suction side of a fuel system----the swivel joint can leak just enough to draw air thus creating a fuel flow loss---especially on long runs of hose.

Tom

Ed---I wasnt going to rain on Peter's parade by saying that the swivel joints have a tendency to leak over time. Same as with the industrial versions in use on millions of applications. Easy to install and replace--pretty often. DONT use them on the suction side of a fuel system----the swivel joint can leak just enough to draw air thus creating a fuel flow loss---especially on long runs of hose.

Tom

Hi Tom,

As a coincidence I just put a question on another thread, already answered.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=178717
It seems like you advice against using the swivel joints fittings. I was planning a couple of them to connect on the suction side of the fuel selector.
It would give me the opportunity to avoid 90 degrees turns in the suction line.
But I have to rethink that if this leads to leaks over time.

You can use regular bent tube hose ends without the swivel stems. The only thing in there is an O'Ring. Usually a lock wire retains the pieces together---sometimes a crimped section. But the stem swivels (rotates) on the stem and they will leak. Some more than others. And the more movement, the more the o'ring stresses, and/or is exposed to the fluids---i guess fuel in this case--and deterioration starts.
Tom

Back