What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AN470 AD 6-5 rivet/ tank rib sub assembly

Jskyking

Well Known Member
The plans below call for a 6-5 rivet though the kit only includes 6-6?s. My first attempt at setting this rivet was with the DDRT dimpler. The first rivet set went good, the second was a disaster. The plans call for using a C-frame, that might have helped had I owned one.

As I understand, this large rivet is only there to fill a hole and requires only enough squeezing ? to retain the rivet in the hole?.
I presume that to mean as long as the rivet doesn?t turn and doesn?t fall out it?s good to go.

Anyhow- is there an effective method to facilitate setting this large rivet without a c-frame?

In lieu of no other direction, My plan tomorrow is to put a slight squeeze on the rivet with my DDRT or tap it with a bucking gun and rivet set, if I have one large enough to fit this big honking rivet.
Thanks

oDJ.png

This can be achieved with the correct size set and a Yoke in the hand squeezer.
The pneumatic squeezer struggles to set AD6's
It will take a few squeezes and adjustments to get it to set
Remember to use a bit of pro seal under the rivet head :)

FWIW, on my -10, a local builder gave me some 470A-6-? (soft) rivets that I cut down to the -5 length. They set easily and quickly with the gun. -6 length is too long since you are just going through the one skin. I would trim one to -5 length if possible, especially since you are using AD rivets, and see how it set. 1/16" makes a pretty big difference.

And, yeah, you are just trying to fill the tooling holes.

#6 rivet

I put my bar in the vise so the base was firmly planted on the vise frame. Set the rivet with a gun. It just filling the tooling hole. As long as it doesn't rattle, slop some proseal over it and call it good.

I have a 3X rivet gun and if you set the regulator to deliver 90 psi and open the flow restrictor all the way you'll have plenty of power to properly set a 3/16 AD rivet. A 3/16 rivet set for the gun was less than $10.

Look At the Riveting Spec

According to MIL-R-47196A, available from the factory's site somewhere,

FLat Set.png

You can use a flat set. You don't need a -6 universal head set.

Dave

FWIW, on my -10, a local builder gave me some 470A-6-? (soft) rivets that I cut down to the -5 length. They set easily and quickly with the gun. -6 length is too long since you are just going through the one skin. I would trim one to -5 length if possible, especially since you are using AD rivets, and see how it set. 1/16" makes a pretty big difference.

And, yeah, you are just trying to fill the tooling holes.

This is what I did--used soft rivets with sealant. They're just plugging the holes. They're way easier to set than AD rivets.

For those without a -6 rivet set, it's plugging a hole, so dimple and use a flush head rivet. Might as well use a soft rivet if ordering them specifically.

Back