-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-23-2021, 08:35 AM

Well - I'm guessing he didn't look very hard if he wasn't aware of what the breakout force should be set at. Tough to 'guesstimate'

But, the answer is 18-20lbs as referenced in Section 35-07 of the Kit Assembly Instructions:
"Tighten the MS21025-20 Nut
until a force of 18-20 lbs is measured as the
Nose Fork Assembly pivots around the
spindle. U"
Thanks!
John
Old 08-23-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
RV-12 iS SLSA KBVS. Ooops... my bad. I didn't see you have S-LSA. I doubt your mechanical will add grease fitting. Modifications to S-SLA ares prohibited.
Thank you. At this point I'm looking for the published break-out force for my 2020 RV-12iS S-LSA. After reading some posts here it sounds like some lubrication might solve the problem.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFCRV12 View Post
Well - I'm guessing he didn't look very hard if he wasn't aware of what the breakout force should be set at. Tough to 'guesstimate'

But, the answer is 18-20lbs as referenced in Section 35-07 of the Kit Assembly Instructions:
"Tighten the MS21025-20 Nut
until a force of 18-20 lbs is measured as the
Nose Fork Assembly pivots around the
spindle. U"
Thanks!
John
Thank you.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPILOT View Post
Thank you for your sharing your experience. The mechanic asked me to learn what the proper break-out force is for my 2020 RV-12 S-LSA Where can I get this information?
Claude,
For an SLSA RV-12 to me maintained in a legal manner, it must have the maintenance manual available to any mechanic doing work on it.
SLSA maintenance manuals are aircraft specific (it gets identified with the aircrafts N# / Serial #). The reason for this, is that any modification or design change that gets incorporated into the airplane is required to have the related documentation added to the back of the manual and is then considered a permanent part of the aircrafts maint. records.

You should have gotten one with the aircraft. If you do not have one, I suggest you contact Van's and get one so you can reestablish meeting this regulatory requirement.
In the maintenance manual, you will find that it specifies that the KAI (Kit Assembly Instructions) are considered an integral part of the maintenance manual. The maint. manual refers to them for a lot of maint. and service data (including the proper adjustment of the nose fork break-out force).
If you do not have a copy of the KAI, I recommend you get that from Van's as well (make sure they know which version of the airplane you need it for... 12ULS or 12iS)
It is these two documents that your mechanic should be using to reference service info, not you asking for him on an internet forum (can be very hit and miss whether you will get the proper information or not.....).

I see in another post that this is an RV-12iS. If you are the original purchaser, when it was delivered to you, the airplane would have come with a maint. manual and a copy of the KAI on a USB thumb drive.
The later post where someone gave you the proper adjustment value, is correct, but unless your mechanic knows how to properly measure that value, that information is worthless. I suggest referencing the maint. documentation.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop Manager
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")

Last edited by rvbuilder2002 : 08-23-2021 at 09:03 AM.