- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-15
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you want the 15 to be?
Two Seats 62 49.21%
Four Seats 45 35.71%
Six Seats 7 5.56%
Low and slow 37 29.37%
As fast as the rest (Just high wing) 43 34.13%
Tandem 12 9.52%
Side-by-side 68 53.97%
Gas guzzer with huge payload 16 12.70%
Light and efficient, 200 ft takeoff roll 49 38.89%
This poll is stupid 37 29.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_G View Post
I wonder how representative the current Vans Air Force population is of the market for the RV15 anyway. Most of us here have already self selected into fast sport planes vs big tire high wings, so do they try to appeal to their current customer base or expand into the STOL crowd that would otherwise be over on the Kitfox and Rans forums about now?
Haha yep, these polls/discussions are the definition of bias. Another good example I can use in the classroom.

That being said, they are entertaining as it's fun to speculate/want.
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 08-12-2021, 09:39 PM

Default Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypratt View Post
You rarely see a C180 land with 4 people.. the cabin usually has 1 or two people, and their gear..
Suburbans are rarely filled either, but people buy them up.

My vote is a 4 cylinder (and my guess is the power plant will be the IO-390 cause it would increase the volume of sales and hopefully lower the price by going to one shared engine type, with the popularity of the 14 already using it) Cessna 177 clone with big doors, four seats (or at least 2+2 seats), constant speed prop, side by side, no struts, tail wheel (for now), top speed around 150kts (but will cruise at 125-135 depending on power setting), stall around 45-50kts. Kind of a diminutive Cessna 180, with the good features of the 172/177 carried over.

I don’t think they can out-180 the Cessna 180, but it’s a beast and drinks gas. And I think the small tandem or even side-by-side STOL market is covered.

That leaves some sort of upscaled 172, or maybe what the 177 should have been with a proper power plant and Vans design experience.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:51 AM

Default Your All Missing the Boat

Until you take off from a hot, dry prairie runway and land in a secluded, cool, high altitude lake, then you really have not had a taste of what aviation can really do.

https://youtu.be/NpjL9das-Xs

https://youtu.be/1NHOjLySuqk

The Seawind did not have the tail feathers far enough aft but it did offer a 200 MPH air speed ability to cover the miles.

Pontoon AC are horrid machines that need 14 to 16 foot tall hangar doors.

The Lake 250 was a very refined hauler with great water and flight handling and it was 1000 lbs lighter than the Sea Wind, but the bulky sponsons provided about 20 kts of drag

Flying Boat lake amphibians fit in normal hangars and are aerodynamically CLEAN as soon as they are off the water.
I think a Lake 250 type hull with RV-10 wings would provide 4 seats plus baggage
or 2 seats plus lots of camping gear and baggage ability.

A home built Lake 250 Amphibian that flies at 200 kts but lands at 52 kts would get me on the VANS customer list faster than anything else.

Last edited by F1R : 08-13-2021 at 06:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1R View Post
Until you take off from a hot, dry prairie runway and land in a secluded, cool, high altitude lake, then you really have not had a taste of what aviation can really do.

https://youtu.be/1NHOjLySuqk

The Seawind did not have the tail feathers far enough aft but it did offer a 200 MPH cross country to cover the miles.

The Lake 250 was a very refined hauler with great water and flight handling - but the bulky sponsons provide about 20 kts of drag.

I think a Lake 250 type hull with RV-10 wings would provide 4 seats plus baggage
or 2 seats plus lots of camping gear and baggage ability. Pontoon AC are horrid machines that need 14 to 16 foot tall hangar doors. Flying Boat lake amphibians fit in normal hangars and are aerodynamically CLEAN as soon as they are off the water.

A home built Lake 250 Amphibian that flies at 200 kts but lands at 52 kts would get me on the VANS customer list faster than anything else.
Great except Van's has already stated that the 15 is a High-wing, back country capable (whatever that means) design. So I don't know where amphibian/flying boat comes into the discussion.

Personally, I'd like to see something akin to GlasStar Sportsman, but a little larger with true 4 seats (not 2+2), convertible (or at least buildable) between tricycle, taildragger, or ski/floats, and with a useful load in the 1400-1500 lbs range. I'd be willing to sacrifice some speed to achieve this. If Van's came out with this I'd sell my RV-10 today and plop down a deposit.
WAR EAGLE!
Old 09-14-2021, 08:27 PM

IMHO the market (like it or not) are guys and gals who are getting older who want low and slow. Look at the success of the 9 and 14....
https://vansairforce.com/community/s...158610&page=70
2021 Dues paid

Last edited by charosenz : 09-14-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charosenz View Post
IMHO the market (like it or not) are guys and gals who are getting older who want low and slow. Look at the success of the 9 and 14....
Curious, as the 9 and 14 are neither “low” nor “slow.”
Miss March 2020