Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:55 PM

As a follow-up for those that have Gallagher for their RV-12:

My initial quote from them today contained this exclusion:
if you know the aircraft is not certificated by the FAA under a Standard Airworthiness Certificate infull force and effect, while in flight(unless endorsed by the insurance company)
I'm not sure that their intake form allowed me to specify if it was a certificated aircraft or an experimental.. But be sure to check to make sure you have an extra endorsement on your policy somewhere. I suppose because the Mfg is "Vans Aircraft" on E-LSAs, there is some opportunity for confusion.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post
As a follow-up for those that have Gallagher for their RV-12:

My initial quote from them today contained this exclusion:
if you know the aircraft is not certificated by the FAA under a Standard Airworthiness Certificate infull force and effect, while in flight(unless endorsed by the insurance company)
I'm not sure that their intake form allowed me to specify if it was a certificated aircraft or an experimental.. But be sure to check to make sure you have an extra endorsement on your policy somewhere. I suppose because the Mfg is "Vans Aircraft" on E-LSAs, there is some opportunity for confusion.
I dealt with both BWI and Gallagher and their best quotes (from AIG) came in within dollars of each other. Gallagher’s quote, however, including an Open Pilot Warranty and a Waiver of Subrogation. My CFI for transition training is a good friend, and I ended up naming him on the policy as an insured since he’ll be flying the plane occasionally for personal use, even with the OPW and waiver. That might be useful if I get instruction from someone other than him.

As to “other than standard” airworthiness certificate, my policy contains the clause:

AIRWORTHINESS CERTIFICATE ENDORSEMENT
This policy is amended as follow s as respects : Nxxxx
The term "Standard Airworthiness Certificate" appearing within the policy is amended to read "Experimental,

Last edited by MacCool : 11-04-2020 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:14 PM

I can tell you that any CFI with two nickels to rub together will want to be listed as an insured pilot on any plane he is flying for more than a one time lesson. Today’s litigious society drives it.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarsey View Post
  • My Info: 160 TT, ASEL & Glider private pilot. 15 hr last 12-months. 6hr complex, 8hr glider, 1hr multi
  • Plane Info: RV-12iS (Garmin G3X/IFR avionics); hull value calculated by adding all installed options at Van's current pricing. $108,000

EAA > Falcon Insurance > AIG:
Total Premium: $2,546

Gallagher > AIG
Total Premium: $2,546

Gallagher's terms are slightly better: They allow "open pilot" (any private-pilot or higher with 500hrs and 25hr in type). Also, they require 1hr dual vs. Falcon's 3hrs+2hrs solo before passengers.
Just wanted to provide an update, 1 year later. The original coverage was with Gallagher (AIG) for $2,546. The renewal quote from Gallagher (AIG) was quoted at $2,256.

They also provided a quote from Old Republic Aerospace with the same limits/coverage for $1,530. And also an option for $250k each passenger for $1,664.

This will be the 2nd year my 12iS has been flying. Presumably there is less risk after 1 year because pilot has some experience and the plane has its kinks worked out. I flew about 100 hours this year in the 12iS, which I think helped with pricing..but was probably a small factor in the equation.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:30 AM

Gallagher rocks!
They put me in touch with Old Republic Aerospace.
They quoted me $1,300.00 a year. Great coverage!
I'm a brand new RV12 owner with zero RV12 time.
I have 260 hours total time about 50 of which is complex.
Avemco wanted $4,300.00.....
ASEL, A&P
Old 09-02-2021, 06:45 PM
been here awhile

Avemco is so out there that their quotes are hardly ever mentioned. They don't want our business.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:58 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
Avemco is so out there that their quotes are hardly ever mentioned. They don't want our business.
Sure seems true in the RV world Sam! But then again, they are the ONLY ones out there that will even quote on my jet - and then liability only….

So they have a place in the market (just not the RV market it appears).

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 09-10-2021, 09:52 PM

My insurance rates have remained virtually constant for 36 years on my Cherokee with $1M total coverage for hull, medical and liability. This year I hit the big 70. With an ATP, over 5500 hours and an MEII. I was offered a limit of $100K coverage at a premium of $770 or a premium of $1552 for $1M total coverage. Looks like 70 is a definite issue with the insurance guys.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggyboy343 View Post
Well I finally passed my checkride and am legal! Whew. Now on to the next chapter: buying a plane.

Have my eye on a RV-12, real nice plane and clean! Price is reasonable and I'm fine paying for quality work but when it came to get the insurance quote I wanted to throw in the towel. I know I have low time (under 100) but I wasn't prepared for how much they wanted. I was told $8400 a year with Star (i guess they're the most expensive) and just got another $3200 with someone more reasonable(Assured) but I have to log 10 hours and 15 landings to be legal for the policy. I called AOPA and the lady who helped me said experimental aircraft are more to insure which makes sense but I wonder how high that is or if it's the norm? I have high performance cars and motorcycles and my insurance for those isn't anywhere near that. It would be cheaper for a Cessna or Piper but I'm not willing to have cheaper insurance for a plane I really don't want. Is this the norm for everyone out there? I've heard you can't really 'shop' around for plane insurance like you can for cars, is that even true? Does it go down after you build hours? Ugh, just unsure of everything right now, looking for some advice from everyone who's gone down this road.
As Paul said, search these forums. This topic comes up once a quarter +/-. Get competitive quotes. Just like in business, and RFP is really the only way to get the best price. The range will be all over the place.
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction
Old 09-12-2021, 09:16 PM

My insurance was shopped through USAA. Over the years they have always been ther on claims. Yeah, the premium is higher, but you get what you pay for.