What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solar eclipse

ronoc74

Three RVs flew north to intercept the solar eclipse in north-east Australia yesterday. I flew my 9A accompanied by friends in a 6 and a 10. Here are a couple of videos and some photos taken from 9500 ft. I was surprised to be met with turbulence at totality. The umbra, which is visible in the 2nd photo, was very elongated due to it being early morning. In the second video it had passed to the south-east but the darkness from the tail end of it is still visible.

http://youtu.be/ugPfX3EgcWk
http://youtu.be/Efz4YgleBQc

N08AF.jpg

1uKHm.jpg

XM61Q.jpg

ZTFBr.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic.

I did the same for the 1999 total eclipse and saw it from 8000' over the English Channel and above a solid layer of stratus. Most people on the ground just saw it get dark then light again with no view of the event.

Shortly after 3 Concordes flew over that were on a charter chasing the eclipse.

Although I could see no other traffic before the eclipse, as soon as it got dark there seemed to be strobes and nav lights all around.

The lights and colours coming from the corona during totality were exquisite, but impossible to capture by camera.

Neat video and pictures Conor, sorry I was not able to make it with you all. Hope the weather is better for us this weekend.

Three RVs flew north to intercept the solar eclipse in north-east Australia yesterday. I flew my 9A accompanied by friends in a 6 and a 10.

Wow! Something I would love to see airborne. Thanks for sharing Conor.

Fantastic.

I did the same for the 1999 total eclipse and saw it from 8000' over the English Channel and above a solid layer of stratus. Most people on the ground just saw it get dark then light again with no view of the event.

Shortly after 3 Concordes flew over that were on a charter chasing the eclipse.

Although I could see no other traffic before the eclipse, as soon as it got dark there seemed to be strobes and nav lights all around.

The lights and colours coming from the corona during totality were exquisite, but impossible to capture by camera.

Mark I am jealous. 3 Concordes on a charter??? That alone was an eclipse :)

I saw one once from Maidstone, in Kent, England. I think it was 98%, so not a full eclipse. But the drop in temperature, which is instant. The darkness, which again is instant, and the bird song which stopped suddenly for the duration was Awe inspiring. My foreman kept at me to get back to work. I ignored him. I watched the whole thing through two sets of ARC welding lenses. An eclipse, is one of the life experiences in my opinion, one not appreciated until you've experienced it.

Last edited:
Back