What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Oshkosh 2012 Announcements

Remember also that ground stations only transmit traffic data to an area that contains a known participating aircraft with a need for that data. If a ground station hasn’t “heard” from a 978 MHz receive only aircraft needing 1090 MHz data re-broadcast to it, it will not be sent for that area.
I'm pretty much sold on the G3X/GTX23ES/GDL 39 combo for my RV...very cool stuff!

IIRC from the FAA's system descriptions, ADS-B ground stations are flagged by a client aircraft's ADS-B Out message that the aircraft is capable of receiving TIS-B or ADS-R on either link, otherwise no traffic gets sent from the ground. Does the 23ES "know" that a GDL 39 is installed so that the proper message is sent and traffic gets uplinked?

Thanks,

Dave

Steve or ?,

What is the real world difference in the AeroNav (VFR) database and the Jepp?

Hi Brian,

In general, there are fewer of many things like frequencies, airways, ARTCCs, but generally not enough difference to be very noticeable.

The big difference is the lack of IFR approach information in the navigation database. The "Select Approach" feature will be gone from the flight plan page when you start using this database. Of course it comes back if you ever load a Jepp database.

Fortunately, G3X is still usable with external IFR navigators to fly IFR approaches since the guidance is coming from the external navigator (which does have all the approach data).

We would suggest you give it a try for a cycle before you sign up for an annual subscription and see if it meets your needs. We have reduced pricing on single updates as well.

Thanks,
Steve

I'm pretty much sold on the G3X/GTX23ES/GDL 39 combo for my RV...very cool stuff!

IIRC from the FAA's system descriptions, ADS-B ground stations are flagged by a client aircraft's ADS-B Out message that the aircraft is capable of receiving TIS-B or ADS-R on either link, otherwise no traffic gets sent from the ground. Does the 23ES "know" that a GDL 39 is installed so that the proper message is sent and traffic gets uplinked?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Great! Appreciate the feedback and glad to hear you like what you see.

Very good question about how does the GTX23ES know it has a dual band GDL39 ADS-B receiver on-board.

It is done through a transponder configuration screen on the GDU in configuration mode. This is actually one of the changes between the "V1" transponders and the "V2" transponders that is discussed in posting 5 of this thread.

The GTX23ES remote mount transponder is very easy to install and setup using the GDU screen. Even easier than using the front panel controls on the units with a display.

Thanks,
Steve

This is great news for the G3X. Will there be something similar for us G900X owners - a replacement for the GDL 69, or an upgrade to the GTX 33 to allow weather?

The GDL88 is probably the ticket for the 900, maybe we'll see something like the GDL88 for experimental soon?

Last edited:
Software updates available for free download

Hi folks,

Software updates to add support for GDL 39 FIS-B weather and ADS-B traffic data for the following Garmin products are now available for free download:

As in previous years, we will also be doing free software updates for these and other portable GPS units at the Garmin booth in Hangar D at Oshkosh all next week. See you there!

- Matt

Hello Steve,

The questions keep getting harder, but we haven't run out of answers. :)

It is easy to connect lots of serial devices (like the Zaon) to G3X systems since each G3X display has 3 serial ports. Since the 696 has only one serial port, the story gets a little more complicated.

The GDL39 has 2 serial ports. The first is used to communicate bi-directionally with the display device and provide the normal traffic and weather data. The second serial port is used to help us recover some of the functionality lost for the single serial port portable when the GDL39 was connected to that single serial port.

As mentioned in FAQ list on the first posting in this thread, we currently have 2nd serial port function support for NMEA Out (Fast or Slow). This gets a large group of devices previously connected to the 696 serial port going again (like autopilots), but doesn't provide a connection for devices like the Zaon or even an SL30/40.

We plan to expand on the choices available for this second serial port function, but don't have a firm date for this. At this point you would lose Zaon support if you connect the GDL39 to the single serial port on the 696, but we hope to add support back in for the Zaon (and other TIS-A compatible products like the GTX330) in the future.

Since the Aera 795/796 has 2 serial ports, you could connect a GDL39 to one port and a TIS-A device like the Xaon to the second port and have a choice of traffic systems.

One additional piece of information related to the Zaon. TIS-A devices like the GTX330 change traffic status as you fly in/out of TIS-A coverage, so we are able to allow the display to auto-switch to TIS-A when in TIS-A coverage and back to ADS-B when you fly out of the TIS-A service area. The Zaon, however, is always reporting it is in a traffic service area, so the only way we will auto-switch over to ADS-B traffic is if you turn off the Zaon. Just something to keep in mind.

Garmin Pilot is currently the only tablet/phone app that is able to use the GDL39 (via BlueTooth connection), and it does a nice job of displaying this traffic and weather information.

Let me know if I missed something, but since your 696 doesn't currently support both GDL39 and the Zaon at the same time, I skipped the details about how you would connect these.

Thanks for your interest,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the informative reply...my question builds on Steves question, but may go off your topic slightly:

I would like to use a Zaon unit with a GDL-39, but have the information sent to an iPad via BT along with the ADS-B data.

You mention that the 2nd serial port for the GDL39 is not yet configurable to handle the traffic data from the Zaon. My questions are:

Is the primary serial port simply a hardwired version of the BT port (IE they are both "COM1") or can they be used simultaneously? In other words, could I have the Zaon box hooked up to the primary serial port and still connect to an iPad over BT?

Would any Zaon data that passed through the primary serial port (or secondary serial port, when that becomes available), be passed along to the handheld device (in this case, an iPad) over BT for display in the Pilot app?

My end state goal would be to have the Zaon wired to the GDL-39, connect to the iPad over BT, and then have Zaon traffic data presented in the Garmin Pilot app, swichable with ADS-B traffic information. If this is something that is doable, how would go about it?

Thanks!

best,
Rich

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the informative reply...my question builds on Steves question, but may go off your topic slightly:

I would like to use a Zaon unit with a GDL-39, but have the information sent to an iPad via BT along with the ADS-B data.

You mention that the 2nd serial port for the GDL39 is not yet configurable to handle the traffic data from the Zaon. My questions are:

Is the primary serial port simply a hardwired version of the BT port (IE they are both "COM1") or can they be used simultaneously? In other words, could I have the Zaon box hooked up to the primary serial port and still connect to an iPad over BT?

Would any Zaon data that passed through the primary serial port (or secondary serial port, when that becomes available), be passed along to the handheld device (in this case, an iPad) over BT for display in the Pilot app?

My end state goal would be to have the Zaon wired to the GDL-39, connect to the iPad over BT, and then have Zaon traffic data presented in the Garmin Pilot app, swichable with ADS-B traffic information. If this is something that is doable, how would go about it?

Thanks!

best,
Rich

Hi Rich,

You have a great idea there, but the only function of the second serial port on the GDL39 is to essentially be a pass through "port replicator" for the portable GPS units.

The protocol used over the BT link to tablets doesn't provide any access to the serial ports. I will pass this suggestion for expanded capability over to the GDL39 team.

You might want to fly with the GDL39 in an ADS-B Out equipped aircraft before you get too concerned about not having this other traffic sensor. You might be surprised by how well your traffic needs are covered.

Thanks,
Steve

Installing the GDL39 with G3X

Hello,

We shouldn't be surprised by this, but we learned today that some ambitious G3X owners are already installing their new GDL39s to use on their trips to Oshkosh!

Revision G of the G3X Installation manual is available and covers the GDL39 installation and configuration on page D-12.

Also, be sure to install the new V7.00 GDU 37X software that Matt provided a link to in his previous post. That GDU software load also includes the latest V2.20 GDL39 software which the GDU automatically uploads to the GDL39.

Let us know if you have any installation questions, but it should go smoothly.

See you at Oshkosh,
Steve

Hi Rich,

You have a great idea there, but the only function of the second serial port on the GDL39 is to essentially be a pass through "port replicator" for the portable GPS units.

The protocol used over the BT link to tablets doesn't provide any access to the serial ports. I will pass this suggestion for expanded capability over to the GDL39 team.

You might want to fly with the GDL39 in an ADS-B Out equipped aircraft before you get too concerned about not having this other traffic sensor. You might be surprised by how well your traffic needs are covered.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the very quick reply.

The Zaon, which is essentially a passive mode C detection device, works well in "blind spots" where there may, or may not be ADS-B coverage at the surface of a secondary airport.

For instance, you have a "primary airport" which has both radar, and an ADS-B ground station. Then there is a "secondary airport" 15nm away, which has neither. If you are on the ground at the secondary airport, you are probably not going to receive any ADS-B data, and you probably aren't going to receive many 1090 data "squits" from local traffic until there is widespread adoption of ADS-Out devices.

But the airborne traffic around the secondary airport will get interrogated by the radar at the primary airport, and the Zaon unit will pick up those replies, even on the ground or at low altitude in the pattern (which, honestly, is the area of biggest traffic concern, to me at least).

Also, by allowing the Zaon to "pass through" traffic data from the GDL39 to the tablet device (via BT), you are providing a very cost effective solution in the interm, while people save their $$ for an ADS-Out device (GTX330ES or whatever), which are still fairly expensive. You wouldn't need to use the secondary serial port on the GDL39...since you are connecting to the iPad via BT, the primary port would be available to connect the Zaon unit.

FWIW, I have a small box that I bought from the FlightGuide folks that works with their app. It's a small GPS receiver that also has an aux serial port for the Zaon, and it connects to my iPad via WiFi. My Zaon plugs into FlightGuide box, and the traffic information is sent along with GPS data (and receiver status) to the FlightGuide app, and the traffic appears on the map display.

The problem is this leads to a lot of app switching, which results in a very clunky solution. If the GDL39 would pass through Zaon data, it would really be "one stop shopping", which is something I am really looking for.

Again, thanks for your insight and support!

Best,
Rich

Last edited:
If you buy a GDL39 at Osh, be sure to go by the Garmin Homebuilt tent and fill out a rebate form for a free battery and case!!!!!

Steve

Where the GTS-800 fit in these ADS-B scenario when GDL-39 can do traffic and weather for much less money.

Pepe

Steve

Where the GTS-800 fit in these ADS-B scenario when GDL-39 can do traffic and weather for much less money.

Pepe

Hello Pepe,

No traffic system will ever be perfect since even after 2020 aircraft will be able to fly in most areas of the U.S. under 10,000' without even a Mode C transponder (as they can today) and all G.A. traffic systems rely on some type of transponder.

Up until the point where every Mode C transponder is replaced or supplemented with ADS-B Out capability, active interrogating traffic systems like the GTS800 will still have an edge over ADS-B In systems since they can "see" Mode C aircraft without any ground station assistance.

Similarly, those using a subscription based satellite weather service will continue to be able to see their weather pages populate while on the ground while those with just FIS-B will at times have to get airborne before receiving any FIS-B weather depending on their location to a ground station.

In summary, those that are willing to pay for satellite weather and active traffic systems will likely always get a little more than those strictly using ADS-B In for their traffic and weather services.

Thanks,
Steve

You can continue to ignore my question about ADS-B for the G900X; I just read the complete announcement in Sport Aviation. I'm glad to see the 900 hasn't been ignored in the rush to ADS-B.

You can continue to ignore my question about ADS-B for the G900X; I just read the complete announcement in Sport Aviation. I'm glad to see the 900 hasn't been ignored in the rush to ADS-B.

Patrick,

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. The timing for G1000/G900X ADS-B support is still unclear at this point.

It is good that G900X shares software with thousands of G1000 aircraft. It is less good that certified G1000 software development takes longer to get in the hands of customers.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm currently use a Zaon XRX for traffic in the cockpit and am now shopping for a ADS-B receiver. The GDL-39 would be a slam dunk for me if I could connect my XRX's TIS-A input to the GDL-39 serial port.

Is that a supported feature or a plausible future one?

Thanks for the insight,
David

Using GDL39 with Passive Traffic Device

Hi Steve,

I'm currently use a Zaon XRX for traffic in the cockpit and am now shopping for a ADS-B receiver. The GDL-39 would be a slam dunk for me if I could connect my XRX's TIS-A input to the GDL-39 serial port.

Is that a supported feature or a plausible future one?

Thanks for the insight,
David

Hello David,

Not sure which Garmin display you will be using with the GDL39, but the G3X, GDU37X, and Aera 79X already have 2 or more serial ports, so you could connect a GDL39 and a TIS-A compatible traffic device to these displays today.

As mentioned in this posting, we will be releasing new Aera 5XX and GPSMAP 69X software soon that will allow all the devices that could previously be connected to a single serial port on these devices (including TIS-A compatible devices) to be connected to the GDL39 second serial port.

As mentioned in this posting, there is one additional piece of information related to the Zaon that you should be aware of. TIS-A devices like the GTX330 and GTX23ES change traffic status as you fly in/out of TIS-A coverage, so we are able to automatically allow the display to auto-switch to TIS-A when in TIS-A coverage and back to ADS-B when you fly out of the TIS-A service area. The Zaon, however, is always reporting it is in a traffic service area, so the only way we will auto-switch over to ADS-B traffic is if you turn off the Zaon. Just something to keep in mind.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks for your interest in the GDL39,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I really appreciate your prompt reply. My main GPS is a 196, so clearly that is out. For ADS-B, I've decided to upgrade to an iPad based solution so the GDL-39/XRX/Garmin Pilot combo is my main interest. Your comment on the XRX always reporting TIS-A active is understood. I don't really see this as a downside as I view the XRX as a much more complete/reliable traffic source than ADS-B currently. (I'm not ADS-B out equipped.)

The GDL-39 is a bit more expensive than some of the other options, but I could easily justify the additional cost if I could get weather and traffic all on the same (iPad) screen.

Thanks for your time,
David

For ADS-B, I've decided to upgrade to an iPad based solution so the GDL-39/XRX/Garmin Pilot combo is my main interest.

Hello David,

You are welcome. I am not aware of any plans for Garmin Pilot to display traffic received from a device like the Zaon connected to a serial port on the GDL39. The BT link is providing GPS and ADS-B traffic and weather to the Garmin Pilot app.

You would need one of the Garmin products mentioned in the previous post if you want to use the Zaon device with the GDL39.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
The following manuals have been updated with installation and operating instructions for the new GDL39 ADS-B traffic and weather features and are available for download.

G3X
GDU 370/GDU 375
GPSMAP 695/696
Aera 5XX
Aera 7XX

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
Where do we find the installation manuals? I'm looking, in particular for the tx/rx connections for a dual screen G3x w/ a GTU23ES, GTN650 system. Some of the tx/rx pionts are already used in such a system.
Thanks

Manuals

Garmin.com Everything is there. Just download them and use a computer or iPad, or you can take the files to kinkos and print them out, put them in a 3 ring binder as I did.

Dave

G3X Installation Manual

Steve,
Where do we find the installation manuals? I'm looking, in particular for the tx/rx connections for a dual screen G3x w/ a GTU23ES, GTN650 system. Some of the tx/rx pionts are already used in such a system.
Thanks

Hello Carl,

Dave is right. The G3X Installation Manual shows connections for everything in your list and more.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

another bit of help

I had Steinair put an interconnect drawing together for me. 150.00 I think but it's worth it's weight in gold. You really need this if you are wiring your own avionics! The manuals tell you how to do it but the drawing is the road map.

Back