What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Garmin ADSB - Portable and Wireless

Ya, I guess the two words shouldn't be used together....

My question is:

I know you can't legally use XM TFR information but can you legally use FIS-b TFR information?

Right now the only legal choice is FSS. RIGHT?

Right now the only legal choice is FSS. RIGHT?

Or IFR/VFR-Flight-Following vectors, that puts it on ATC to send you where you should/should not be.

It would likely protect on enforcement action, but won't stop an air-to-air missile if it ever comes to that.

VFR Flight Following doesn't keep you safe. It's workload dependent on ATC.

Or IFR/VFR-Flight-Following vectors, that puts it on ATC to send you where you should/should not be.

It would likely protect on enforcement action, but won't stop an air-to-air missile if it ever comes to that.

VFR Flight Following doesn't keep you safe. It's workload dependent on ATC.

True - but at least they have to tell you "unable" and that lets you know that your skin is your own.

I've been flying PP-ASEL for 13 years and I've only had 2 occasions in 600 hours where I was told "unable" in response to a request for VFR flight following, but maybe I'm the exception to the rule.

Last edited:
The point I'm trying to make is that ATC has no obligation to fly your plane for you. Even on FF, it is your responsibility to remain VFR and out of any airspace you're not cleared into (ie. TFR's, Class B). The blame won't be on ATC if you venture into one thinking "ATC will steer me around anything I'm not supposed to fly in".

True - but at least they have to tell you "unable" and that lets you know that your skin is your own.

I've been flying PP-ASEL for 13 years and I've only had 2 occasions in 600 hours where I was told "unable" in response to a request for VFR flight following, but maybe I'm the exception to the rule.

Back