What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2012 Oshkosh RV Social

How much beer?

• One and done.

Votes: 42 15.5%
  • I like two.

Votes: 112 41.3%
  • Three for me.

Votes: 63 23.2%
  • Four, maybe more.

Votes: 54 19.9%

• Total voters
Now to important business....what shall the fourth keg be?

Please examine these choices (considering what we already have on the way, New Glarus Cow and Squirrel, and Bell's Hopslam) and offer suggestions.

http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/#Year_Round-1

The following are available in draft:

Bell's Lager

Bell's Two-Hearted Ale

Bell's Oberon

Bell's Amber Ale

Bell's Third Coast

Bell's Kallamazzo Stout

I'd be quite pleased if there was a good stout on tap, so I'm in for Kalamazoo...

My vote is for the most hoppy brew they have. Even though I've been to the Bell's brewery, I'm sure I couldn't tell you which in the list is the hoppiest. If Mike and Richard say that is the two-hearted ale, that is what I would vote as well.

I'll second that!

My vote is for the most hoppy brew they have. Even though I've been to the Bell's brewery, I'm sure I couldn't tell you which in the list is the hoppiest. If Mike and Richard say that is the two-hearted ale, that is what I would vote as well.

Hops rule.

Ahhhh... Nothing quite tap dances on the taste buds like free beer of exceptional quality. Count me in!!! Unfortunately, I can only indulge in one as we have to return to Minneapolis that night. :(

ical loaded. not a beer drinker, anything to smoke.:D :D:D

florida dan, are you @ OSH? OVER!

imgresce.jpg

Bell's Two-Hearted Ale

My vote is for the most hoppy brew they have. Never Had Bell's but if it is hoppy I'm sure it will be good. Can't wait for Monday the 23rd! And the rest of the week too.

NOTICE

Short version:

The Forum Building #2 location is canceled.

I have arranged our return to the SOS Brothers (under the yellow balloon), same place as last year.

Long version:

Last Thursday we approached an executive level EAA staffer about using Forum #2, as the planned Homebuilder's Pavilion in HBC didn't get done for 2012. The answer was "There is no issue with using the forum buildings after hours." We were very specific about our plans....

OK, done deal. Forum Building #2, the one closest to the Vans display tent, Monday evening starting after the airshow. No catering required. An anonymous donor is ordering draft New Glarus Spotted Cow and Fat Squirrel. Soft drinks (and any food items) are BYOB. We are responsible for cleanup; I'm camping with the airplane and rise early, so I'll check it/police it at dawn Tuesday. Cool?

.....which were accepted, and the announcement here came shortly after.

Fast forward to yesterday, Wednesday the 11th. I was asked to contact Mr. John Dorgan at EAA HQ, Manager, Event Sales and Services. Mr. Dorgan informed me we were welcome to the forum building only if our beverages were supplied as a catering package from the authorized EAA beverage service supplier, Supple Group Events, aka Fox River Brewing. No Supple Group, no building.

I contacted the Supple Group representative for a quote. The total was $1,466.85, Fox River brands only, 4 kegs with setup. In contrast, 4 kegs of our choice from the local distributor was $480 plus tax, with free support equipment. We would need to supply our own ice and cups, and haul our own kegs.

I have declined.

FWIW, we are allowed to bring food and beverage into the camping areas. I have declined that option also. We cannot put 250~300 people in an HBC campsite without disturbing campers who wish to sleep, and we're not going to be "those people". There are also issues like seating and weather.

Sorry guys. I had hoped to offer a nice get-together in a semi-private location, with better beer at little or no cost. It's not worth arguing about; we'll take the high road and hope for a dedicated pavilion next year. Until then, it's a bigger and better private SOS beer tent for us. The four Sosnoski brothers are good guys.

I don't care where it is. I'm just coming to see your big happy smile Dan :). [ed. Me too! dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
...now that irritates the daylights out of me...but it comes with little surprise...and EAA gets yet another black eye...

Still...happy to see there will still be an event...we will still be attending

Regards

Rick

Given the available information - good decision Dan. No reason to fight 'just to fight' - this is a war that can not be won, at least not at this point. It is simply another illustration that what we attend in Oshkosh in July is "Airventure Incorporated", not a "member fly-in".

I'll be at SOS Brothers this year - not a terribly long walk/crawl from HBC.....

I'm still voting for 4+.

DITTO, Who in the pilot group only drinks two beers.... really?? Given the size that this event is quickly turning into, this should be a better option. We leave in one week for Wisconsin and plan to be at KOSH Sunday morning. May the weather Gods smile on us all. :D

Last edited:
seeing that we are "soft drink' users...we can ride our scooters right to SOS...guess that is one good thing....

Regards

Rick

Root Beer

I think you should have included Root Beer in your list of options. :p There are at least 63 different brands of Root Beer. For me it will be BYORB.

Last edited:
Can wannabe's join in. Have been a visitor to the forum and trying to decide if I can build? If so, count me in for two.

Way to go EAA INC,,, not

It is about them not us... EAA, is, getting more black eyes all the time.
See you at SOS!!

I suspect that this had to do with agreements previously signed by EAA with the catering company.

What chaps me, is that this wasn't researched prior to approving our little shin-dig. Once it was discovered, EAA could have at least picked up the difference (or even half the difference) in cost, to help support the event, it's HB members, and make up for their original mistake.

Oh well, SOS tent it is. With enough beer proceeds, maybe THEY will build a pavillion for 2013.

What chaps me....

Stow it, please. I'm chapped enough for both of us. High road, remember?

Oh well, SOS tent it is.

Yep....and if you ask the pretty girls they will dip into the special cooler and deliver cold bottles of Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, Hopslam, and yes, Two-Hearted Ale.

Doesn't that make everybody feel better?

It's not worth arguing about; we'll take the high road and hope for a dedicated pavilion next year. Until then, it's a bigger and better private SOS beer tent for us.

Hey, Dan. Is there any assurance that groups will be allowed to bring in their own beer and food at a future HBC pavilion? We deal with these sort of restrictions all the time with university contracts and it often covers anywhere on the grounds. Wouldn’t that chap folks if funds were raised for a dedicated pavilion only to learn that we can’t entertain with food and drink unless using the official vendor!

Stow it, please. I'm chapped enough for both of us. High road, remember?

Yep....and if you ask the pretty girls they will dip into the special cooler and deliver cold bottles of Spotted Cow, Fat Squirrel, Hopslam, and yes, Two-Hearted Ale.

MMMMMMMM...Spotted cow...are we there yet?

Actually, yeah...it does.:)

Thanks for all your work setting this up Dan, and for taking the frustration of planning what turned out to be a no-go, and presenting a great alternate.

See everyone on Monday.

Pretty Girls

How could I forget the pretty girl bartenders... Okay, I'm less "chapped" and more enthused. See you there, Dan. Thanks again for putting this together.

We are up to an RV-10 fuel load now...

Approx 58.6 Gallons.

I bet we are going to have more fun than a 4.5 hr flight though!

Cost per gallon= about twice 100LL

I'd hoped to visit the SOS Bros place anyway after the social, for a burger and some deep fried cheese curds for supper. Now I won't have to walk as far :D

Another good reason to send your Proxy to the right person

This is the sort of EAA Policy that truely diverges from what EAA Members want from their Association. It is also another reason to make sure that your voice is heard by the Leadership. Refer to this VAF thread and act IMMEDIATELY! Sent your Proxy designating Phil to deliver your vote.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?p=676372#poststop

I'm looking forward to our RV Get Together and enjoying the true spirits of Oshkosh. Thanks Dan for making this all happen.

Doug, mind changing the Oshkosh events list on the front page? The social is at SOS Brothers, not Forum 2.

[ed. It was the thumbnail image of the sched that showed the old info. I'm updating that now. br,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the SOS Brother tent located.:confused:

It's on the same road you take to get to the "Blue Lot", but on the north side of the road... Look for the big tent and the smell of Brats cooking. They also have a large yellow balloon flying.

Two Cards and a Buono

Well, we did our duty and closed it down. In the best form possible. The stories were ALL true. The people were all bigger than life. My beer was always cold, I'm sure I owe a few, I just have to figure out to whom. I'm only sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to more people, but wait, there are still many days left, this is only a primer for the impromptu chance meetings with new and old friends in the days to come. Hey, how about that 40 ship! Ok, ok, it is done... but was a big highlight (and a lot of work) of my OSH 2012.

That is the end of this beer social story for this year. Where were you?

I'm still looking forward to a nice conversation with 'The Horton' about micro or some such technical detail to send me back to the engineering texts for the next 9mo when I get home.

Cheers,
'Scoot'
IMG_0264.JPG

Back