What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Aerobatic Clinic scheduled. Sign up here!

ronschreck

Well Known Member
Several months ago I posted a poll to gauge interest in an aerobatic clinic just for RV pilots. Enough of you showed an interest so it is going to happen! The clinic will be held at Russel Regional Airport, Rome, GA (KRMG) on 22-23 April. Chapter 3 of the International Aerobatic Club (IAC) will be hosting the event and ground school presentations will be made by myself and IAC Advanced World competitor, Mark Fullerton. Aerobatic flight instruction will be provided by top IAC competitors and judges.

This clinic is intended for RV pilots who have previously completed basic spin/departure training in either a civilian or military environment and have some degree of aerobatic experience. Flight instruction at the clinic will be from ground observers. You will not have an instructor in your airplane with you as we will NOT be providing basic aerobatic training. We WILL be providing instruction and critiquing from the ground by highly experienced IAC competitors and judges with the objective of preparing you for your first IAC competition.

Your RV must be one of the aerobatic models (3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 14). Parachutes are recommended but not required. Various parachute models will be available for you to try on and fly with so you can determine what works best for you. Membership in the IAC is required. A free 6-month IAC membership is available HERE.

Interested: Join the RV Aerobatic Clinic Yahoo Group for more information and details on how to sign up for the clinic.
If the above link does not work for you, send me a private message with your email address and I will send you an invitation to join the group.

RV-8 triangle on left wing

Hello Ron,

I would like to join...but I am still in the building process. I am building my RV-8 with the intend to use it for accro.

Quick question: The triangle on your wing tip, is it one of you design ? Is this something available somewhere for future installation on my RV-8 ? I would like eventually to install one on my -8. I learnt to fly accro on a french made CAP-10, which had a triangle too.

Thanks for your feedback

Hello Ron,

I would like to join...but I am still in the building process. I am building my RV-8 with the intend to use it for accro.

Quick question: The triangle on your wing tip, is it one of you design ? Is this something available somewhere for future installation on my RV-8 ? I would like eventually to install one on my -8. I learnt to fly accro on a french made CAP-10, which had a triangle too.

Thanks for your feedback

Hi Martin,

That's a home made sighting device. Go to post #18 on this thread for the details on construction:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=129599&highlight=device

how to sign up?

Ron,
You know I'm the village idiot when it comes to computers or 20th century technology, so I can't find out how to sign up for the clinic on the Yahoo RV website. :confused:Help the old man out, please.
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

I tried to sign up also via your link. It says you need to be a member to see the page. just sent PM for invite.

Thanks for hosting this

Last edited:
I tried to sign up also via your link. It says you need to be a member to see the page. just sent PM for invite.

Thanks for hosting this

Not sure why the link isn't working. I have been sending an invitation to join to all who PM me with their email address and that is working.

Altitudes??

Ron, I gotta ask what maybe is a dumb question. With your IAC judges watching, at what altitudes would we be doing acro? Rome, Ga is basically Atlanta----the ground is all about 1000' above sea level. I do all my acro at about 7000', or 6000' above the ground. That gives me 6000' to fix any screw ups I might make. But at 7000', I wouldn't think the judges could see much.:rolleyes:

You see where I'm coming from.

OK, Rome is 644', but still---it's close enough to the 1000'.

Last edited:
Ron, I gotta ask what maybe is a dumb question. With your IAC judges watching, at what altitudes would we be doing acro? Rome, Ga is basically Atlanta----the ground is all about 1000' above sea level. I do all my acro at about 7000', or 6000' above the ground. That gives me 6000' to fix any screw ups I might make. But at 7000', I wouldn't think the judges could see much.:rolleyes:

You see where I'm coming from.

OK, Rome is 644', but still---it's close enough to the 1000'.

We will be using an IAC aerobatic box. The floor is 1500 AGL and the top is 3500 AGL.

Just a few slots left!

We are one month away from the clinic and find we can accommodate just a few more pilots. The first post in this thread covers all the information you need to get started. If interested, come join the RV Aerobatic Clinic Yahoo group.

The objective of the RV Aerobatic Clinic: To provide you with information and training to prepare you to fly your first IAC aerobatic competition.

We assume that you have some civilian or military experience or training in spin/departure recovery and have some experience flying basic aerobatic maneuvers.

You will NOT be given dual instruction at the clinic. Instruction will be from the ground and provided by experienced IAC competitors and judges. We have found that ground critiquing and instruction is the best way to teach the finer points of aerobatic maneuvering as this is the same vantage point at which you will be judged.

At the clinic you will be flying within an aerobatic box that is 1000 meters square. The base of the box is 1500 feet AGL and the top is at 3500 feet AGL. (We always set our altimeters to zero on the ground.) If you are uncomfortable at the lower altitude you may fly your figures at the top of the box; we can still see you and critique you at the higher altitudes.

Competition aerobatic figures are quite different that those flown in ?sport? aerobatics and at air shows. Precision is rewarded by high scores and a great feeling of accomplishment. We will conduct a ground school at the clinic but you should do a bit of studying prior to the clinic to familiarize yourself with the figures and the criteria that the judges use to score the figures.

? In the FILES section of the Yahoo group you will find the Aresti notation of the figures flown in the 2017 Primary and Sportsman sequences. Most pilots who are new to IAC competition start at the Primary level. Some with prior experience may start at the Sportsman level and this is where you will find most RVs in competition.

? Also in the FILES section you will find the IAC Official Contest Rules. You should at least read through chapter 8 to get some idea of how the figures should be flown and how the judges will grade your figures.

A great deal of information can be found on the IAC web site. A link to the site is in the LINKS section of the group. If you are not an IAC member you should sign up for a FREE 6-month IAC membership while you are on the site.

An IAC Technical Inspection form is available in the FILES section. This can be used as a checklist to insure you bring all the required paperwork to a contest and to prepare your airplane. We will walk you through a tech inspection at the clinic just to give you some idea of what to expect at a contest. Paperwork and parachutes will not be inspected at the clinic but your airplane should be suitably prepared for aerobatic flight. Canopy jettison systems and parachutes will not be required at the clinic but you will need to make provisions for emergency egress and wear a parachute at all competition events. A number of parachutes will be available for you to try on at the clinic.

Hotel accommodations are at the Kings Inn. Hotel rates are around $70 per night. We typically ride-share so rental car expenses are minimal. We will ask for a modest contribution to cover miscellaneous expenses such as lunches at the airport. I will provide hotel and rental car information as we get closer to fly day.

The Yahoo group is the vehicle to provide information to prospective clinic attendees. To sign up for the clinic you must join the Yahoo group and then make an entry in the Sign-Up table. In the Yahoo group go to the MORE tab, click on DATABASE, click on SIGN UP HERE then click on +ADD A ROW. Enter your data in the pop up box and hit SAVE. Easy! If you later find that you are unable to attend please notify us so we can give another pilot a chance to attend. We may limit attendance at some point so sign up now.

If we meet our objective, following the clinic many of you will be anxious to enter your first IAC competition. A list of contests is available on the IAC web site and those of us who will be instructing and encouraging you at the clinic will be available after the clinic to help you accomplish your goals in any way we can.

Hope to see you in Rome (It?s gonna be a lot a fun!),

Clinic

As much as I hate to, I'm afraid I'll have to cancel. I've had something come up for that weekend so someone can take my spot. I'll remove my name from the list. Y'all have fun! Sounds like a great time.

Back