What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Check List Thought....

kklewin

Well Known Member
Just a thought for ya'll. A few years ago one of my brake o-rings failed on taxi out, as I'm sure a few of you have had. As a result my before landing check includes a quick press of the brakes and viewing of the clear brake lines. They will be pink/red if filled. The difference is clear if one is and one isn't filled.

So after a nice flight with a friend over the Bridger Mountains on my way back to land I did my check and......no right brake. Not a big deal, but you then know what might be a big deal on roll out. I changed to runway 30 (winds fairly calm), but it allowed me to exit the runway and turn onto the taxiway using the left brake. (landing 12 requires a right turn, and would required you to shut down, get out, and pull plane off runway) I didn't want to shut down the only active runway, but don't land downwind, on a short runway just to make getting off the runway easy.

Adding power and using rudder works to make turns to the failed brake side, but if you want to stop give your self room to coast to a stop without using the other brake. I dropped my buddy off...taxied to the hanger....left turns, no problem. Right turns...well...shut down the plane. Get out. Tip the tail, rotate the fuse so its pointed in the direction you want to go. Get in. Taxi some more...repeat. (Get a tow bar as soon as its feasible) I pulled it the last few hundered yards.

Brake was getting close to replacement so the puck was probably just pushed beyond its usual travel breaking the seal the o-ring had causing the fluid leak. Replaced pads, o-ring, filled fluid and all is well.

Just wanted to pass along. Its nice to know you will land with an issue with a quick check. You can also always fly around awhile to consider other runways, airports, and options. These are just my thoughts. Merry Christmas!

Kurt
RV-6A, N85KC
Bozeman, Montana

another good thought...but taxi ways very icy.....and It would look like I'm drinking and flying.... =)

KK

Back