What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting over piano hinge builder tip thanks

I think it's a vintage builder tip by now, but whomever (if you're still around) originally posted the tip about riveting over a piano hinge.....thank you!

Basically, I cut a small piece of 1/8" steel off with the pneumatic cutoff wheel, smoothed the faces and edges, and then Super Glued it on to the no-hole squeezer yoke, allowing it to extend lower behind the piano hinge curls to set the rivets. Later, a quick tap of the piece, and it came right off of the yoke....back to normal.

It worked better than I could have asked, especially after pulling my hair out over how to set those. BTW, someone at a certain manufacturer's tent was no help at all and acted like I was asking the dumbest question of the year.....whatever.

Anyway, thank you to that person who posted it here. It worked perfectly.

Last edited:
For the few rivets involved in the trim tab, I used 1/8 aluminum just because that's all I could come up with, but steel would work much better and last longer.
DSCN3257.JPG

Instead of gluing, I taped it in place. Since the super glue seems to let go easily enough, I'll go that way next time. (Sorry for the poor focus:eek:)
DSCN3259.JPG

Back