What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell prop RPM limits

pierre smith

Well Known Member
In another thread from yesterday, Doug was shooting for economy and I went out and tried some efficiency tests.

A discussion of prop RPM limitations came up, so I called Hartzell a little while ago.

My blended airfoil prop has no RPM limitations, other than a 2700 RPM redline, and continuous operation at any RPM is OK with the IO-540 Lycs with no more than 285 HP.

The IO/O-360 engines do have an RPM "window" limitation of 2000-2250 continuous for some blades so your best bet would be to go to Hartzell for good info.

Best,

See pages 1276 - 1291 in this document (Application Guide) for Hartzell prop details on Van's a/c:

http://www.hartzellprop.com/public_dl.php?id=811 (7Mb download)

It is bang up to date - April 2011

Forgive me if I missed this, but I didn't see the "stock" Van's IO-260-M1B 180 HP and the stock Van's BA Hartzell prop (7497) listed.

There is a listing for an IO-360 (no suffix) but for 200 HP engines, not 180HP.

There are listings for -A1A engines at 180 HP with the 7496 blades.

I asked Hartzell for this about a year ago, and they didn't have it at that time.

Am I missing it now, or is it just not there (still)?

ETA:

See this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=53944&highlight=hartzell+limitations&page=2

and note that we were talking about STOCK Lycoming from Van's, which means 2 mags (no LASAR or anything else).

Last edited:
7497 approved on IO-360-M1B

Steve,

Yes, the 7497 is approved on the stock IO-360-M1B without any restrictions. This is one of a few configurations that is not yet in Note 9 of TCDS P-920. We approved it with the LSE Plasma III so a stock engine with magnetos is approved by similarity (experience has shown electronic ignitions produce higher stresses).

We have an information sheet that I can provide if you need one? Just e-mail me at [email protected].

Les Doud

Back