What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

pitot-static fittings question

Lars

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am in the process of plumbing my pitot-static system. I'm using the instant tube fittings (AKA push-to-connect, one-touch, etc) like Stein sells. I have extensive experience with them in everything from dirty industrial environments to off road racing to clean room vacuum conditions, and I'm confident that they are a good choice for this application. I didn't buy them from Stein because I've accumulated enough in my stash (all of mine are from Legris) over the years that I could plumb several airplanes. I'm also using high-quality (Parker) nylon tubing.

I know Paul Dye likes them, and has posted about his use of them here with positive remarks. One of the reasons I considered them in the first place.

It's looking like I may get my contraption flying in 2012, and so I started wondering if a DAR will give me grief for using them. I've never seen them on a certified plane, but I haven't looked under the panels of any new certified airplanes lately.

Thoughts?

If your DAR is familiar with RVs, he shouldn't have any problems with them, especially since a very large share of RVs out there flying today are successfully using these kinds of fittings and lines.

If an inspector or Fed mentions it, simply ask him for a TSO or ANY rule that spec's out pitot static fittings or tubing or couplers or plumbing or ports, etc..

I went in circles with a couple FSDO's who claimed we had to use certified fittings until they realized after I asked for the relevant TSO they could produce no such thing....their response...."it's one of those gray areas" and it was left at that.

Cheers,
Stein

Hey Lars!

My DAR saw them and LOVED them! I don't think it will be an issue, but as we've read about with other issues, there CAN be a lot of variation from FSDO to FSDO and by implication from DAR to DAR...If Mike S is in the same FSDO region as you, you get to cite local precedent. Maybe see if you can get the same inspector?

I wouldn't go looking for it to be a problem but it can't hurt to be prepared with Stein's response.

All best

Jeremy

No issues what so ever. They actually work better than hard lines with AN fittings according to a hydraulic technician I know.
Phelps

Thanks, all. Good to know that Mike has them too. Just need to find out what FSDO I'm in- hopefully the same one. Up till now it hasn't really mattered, given how slowly I've been building. Now it looks like I'm finally bumping up against the inevitable.

If the DAR or FAA ever insist on a TSO part be installed on an Amateur Built aircraft, everything would have to be TSO'd and the price of the aircraft would then be astronomical.  Most all of the avionics (excluding comm and transponder) in my plane does not have a TSO, including EFIS display to the engine monitor. This above statement includes all of the electrical components, airframe components, etc... 
Let's hope this requirement never comes to happen for AB Experimental aircraft! 

Back